Equipment: Previous Top of Line Equipment

SnipesMalloy

Apr 18, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting into some, more serious hockey, and with that, I'm thinking of upgrading my equipment. But I don't exactly want to pay top prices. I don't really have money in the budget for the top top.

Example: I have seen a set of skates, CCM Tacks 9080, which apparently were the top of line skates for 2018? It seemed to be a good skate, from what I've read.

But now with the CCM Tacks 9090 skates out (which I think are this year's top of line skate?) the 9080 is much cheaper. I can't imagine there being a huge difference between the 9080 and the 9090 skates. Does anyone have an insight on this, like how they market this and if there's really a difference in the product?

Thanks

*Mods, sorry if this belongs somewhere else, or already exists!

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
According to their site, neither of those skates were/are top end models.

Super Tacks AS1

The current generation's top end model is called the AS1, the skates you mentioned the 9090 and the 9080 are the second and third tier skates from the current generation, the same generation as the AS1, which came out in 2018. The next generation of skates was due out this year, but because of obvious reasons is delayed.

In terms of naming, they change the naming every year, so it can get very confusing. But each year has an identifiable pattern to the names. For example, going from top skate down, this generation it goes AS1, 9090, 9080, 9070, 9060, etc. For the generation before, I believe it was Supertacks 2.0, Ultra, 6092, 5092, 4092, etc.

In terms of upgrading your equipment, first things first, make sure the skates fit before you buy anything. Fit overrides everything. A $1000 pair of skates that don't fit and hurt your feet might as well be a $1000 paperweight.

Right now there are really only 6 skate lines, with each line having various price points, like the Tacks skates mentioned above. Figure out which of those lines fits you best, and then buy the price point that fits your budget.
IMHO, that's the best strategy.

Yes, going up a price point will add bells and whistles, and honestly, it quite hard to quantify the differences, and whether it's worth the jump in price. Again, it comes down to feel and fit. One price point might feel/fit better because of the extra bells and whistles or even lack of them.

This applies to going from last generation's skates to the current ones. Broadly speaking, a top end skate from last generation is a better buy than a mid-tier skate from the current generation if the prices are the same, AND if they both fit the same. I've tried top skates from a previous generation that were priced great, but they didn't fit as well as a lower tier skate from the current generation, so I went with the lower tier skate.

Usually, the best bang for your buck comes in the form of SMU versions of skates. I believe short for special make up. What they are is special models made specifically for specific stores. The skate is based on a specific model like say the 9070, and then they bring down features from the models above, but charge you the same price as the 9070. Not all places have SMUs, but you can usually identify them because they don't follow the same naming conventions as the normal skates. Here's an example.
CCM Tacks Vector Plus Hockey Skates 2018

Any ways, I hope some of this helps. And again, focus on fit first then worry about what you can get for your buck. Because the right fit will affect your skating more than a few bells and whistles.

Hattrickkane88

Apr 11, 2019
Awesome, thanks for all the information!
Another tip is that you don't actually want the VERY top of the line, Usually you would think you do but with hockey skates not only is it overkill but the top of the line skates are stiff and hard as hell to break in for the average player as they were designed for a 220 pound super athlete who digs into the ice harder then a beaver chews wood.

Don't get the cheap ones either i usually like the 2nd best option.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Also the 9090 is almost identical to the AS1 except it's not a 1 piece boot. The 9080 is a big drop off in comparison to the 9090. If the 9090 fits it's at Sportchek.ca now for $364 which is a great deal. It might even drop more when the AS3 comes out.

Reactions: SnipesMalloy

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
There are several reasons why manufacturers bring out new products to replace old.

The first is to make use of new technology. This might be new materials, or new ways of making sonething to reduce costs, or a way to make something that performs better. And as the years go by, top end tech often dribbles down to mid end products.

The second reason is marketing. You want people to think their skates are obsolete so they’d better ‘upgrade’.

So yes, newer gear can be better, but the gains might be marginal or insignificant.

Last seasons top end gear is above what most players need anyway, and it can be a bargain too. I wear top end skates, but only because they are so comfortable. I have last seasons top end sticks for less money than this seasons mid range sticks.

Reactions: SnipesMalloy

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I tried out some newer skates and I didn’t feel them good enough to upgrade my 9k’s over.

I haven’t played in a long time (since I bought these skates new and didn’t wear them) but I haven’t found new gear has changed much, as long as it’s top of the line stuff.

ive been wearing top of the line, 2009 era gear all season this year and I feel (and look) great IMO.

ive always had success with buying top of the line stuff from the year before

Attachments

• BB4AF4F3-3EFB-4A33-B7B5-BA4531343936.jpeg
    BB4AF4F3-3EFB-4A33-B7B5-BA4531343936.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad