Pressure / No Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/jets-column-the-jets-and-the-lack-of-pressure-1.3526536

It's been an expressed opinion in this space that the Jets operate in a vacuum, free of any pressure to win, thanks largely in part to a sold-out MTS Centre (those multi-year season ticket agreements provide an anxiety-free environment) throughout the last five seasons.

Others will point to how there's next to no media pressure on the current operation and how, despite the microscope that's associated with Canada and the NHL, Winnipeg is a pretty easy place to play.

So, do people believe this? Yes renewal rates on STs are very high, and I for one do see an absolute disconnect between the on ice performance and ticket renewals. Sure the secondary market has dried up, but from a TNSE point of view... who cares. The seats are being sold and paid for no matter what happens on the ice. If you can't re-sell tickets you already paid for, I don't think the team cares.

His second point... Are the media types in this town just shills to spew the TNSE / Chevy / Maurice party line? Do they deliberately go out of their way to say nothing bad about the team or the process? Me. I think in the first few seasons sure, but I think that is changing a bit and some media types are questioning things, but defiantly there are some whom will never utter a bad word.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/jets-column-the-jets-and-the-lack-of-pressure-1.3526536

It's been an expressed opinion in this space that the Jets operate in a vacuum, free of any pressure to win, thanks largely in part to a sold-out MTS Centre (those multi-year season ticket agreements provide an anxiety-free environment) throughout the last five seasons.

Others will point to how there's next to no media pressure on the current operation and how, despite the microscope that's associated with Canada and the NHL, Winnipeg is a pretty easy place to play.

So, do people believe this? Yes renewal rates on STs are very high, and I for one do see an absolute disconnect between the on ice performance and ticket renewals. Sure the secondary market has dried up, but from a TNSE point of view... who cares. The seats are being sold and paid for no matter what happens on the ice. If you can't re-sell tickets you already paid for, I don't think the team cares.

His second point... Are the media types in this town just shills to spew the TNSE / Chevy / Maurice party line? Do they deliberately go out of their way to say nothing bad about the team or the process? Me. I think in the first few seasons sure, but I think that is changing a bit and some media types are questioning things, but defiantly there are some whom will never utter a bad word.

You're kidding right? It seems to me that the media acts like the sky is falling every time there's a loss.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

Whileee

May 29, 2010
WFP has a full column devoted to critiquing the Jets.

Wazny (CBC) is an ill-informed lump that takes delight in trashing the Jets' management.

Lawless has a history of trashing the "Atlanta 5", and called out Wheeler individually a couple of seasons ago.

The media isn't as vociferous as MTL, and not as fawning as TO. Somewhere in between.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
for me it's more that the media isn't very smart. they'll trash/praise as appropriate (mostly i guess), but they don't pick up on what makes the team good/bad.

I do think there isn't a huge amount of pressure within the organization in the short term to be good or responsive (I realize 3rd hand accounts and you only hear the bad, but some of the interactions I've heard about b/w the team/reps and STH seems to make me think that) , but i can't imagine they don't think the pressure is there in the long term.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Cbc completely agree with your post. The media in this city does nothing to hold this organization accountable.....its sickening really.

There is no accountability, no responsibility. Media let's TNSE get away with murder here.

TNSE can hire me anytime, I would get the summers off and virtually no expectations or results needed the rest of the year.

People can say: #WhatdidHunterdotoday. Chevy and I can be best buds.

Reactions: Zippity

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Go down to Arizona or LA or Florida. Open a paper and try to find out where the hockey articles are.

Pick up the Sun or Free press and find where the hockey articles are.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Winnipeg media is nice and cozy with TNSE. We've had 4 years of puff pieces and only recently has there been even a slight bit of criticism.

Thats pretty much how I see it. TSN and TNSE are partners and everybody else wants to work for TNSE. They'll throw out the odd token criticism but thats about it.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I was listening to TSN a few weeks back, and I believe Rick Ralph played a little audio clip from TSN Toronto. Cannot remember the media person that was talking, but it was a round table discussion, and they got on the Winnipeg Jets.

Long story short, who ever was speaking, stated that Chipman was to close to the players, and it was this persons belief that Chipman's insistence on being buddy buddy with players was conflicting with the job Chevy was trying to do.

Never heard any rumblings of this through 5 seasons, but some media head in Toronto, one that probably has never been to Winnipeg since the Jets returned, has their apparent finger on the pulse of this team, and what is going on behind close doors. This is what they do in Toronto, they practically report their thoughts as facts, as it makes for entertainment.

This is the type of garbage that the media in Toronto thrives off of. Its the same media that has created stories where there weren't any, same media that gets the fans in to a frenzy, same media that creates such animosity with the fans towards their teams, that it causes knee jerk reactions, abandonment of long term plans, and angers players that play in that market.

I like the fact we have a modest grounded media that is not trying to drum up stories that do not exist.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I was listening to TSN a few weeks back, and I believe Rick Ralph played a little audio clip from TSN Toronto. Cannot remember the media person that was talking, but it was a round table discussion, and they got on the Winnipeg Jets.

Long story short, who ever was speaking, stated that Chipman was to close to the players, and it was this persons belief that Chipman's insistence on being buddy buddy with players was conflicting with the job Chevy was trying to do.

Never heard any rumblings of this through 5 seasons, but some media head in Toronto, one that probably has never been to Winnipeg since the Jets returned, has their apparent finger on the pulse of this team, and what is going on behind close doors. This is what they do in Toronto, they practically report their thoughts as facts, as it makes for entertainment.

This is the type of garbage that the media in Toronto thrives off of. Its the same media that has created stories where there weren't any, same media that gets the fans in to a frenzy, same media that creates such animosity with the fans towards their teams, that it causes knee jerk reactions, abandonment of long term plans, and angers players that play in that market.

I like the fact we have a modest grounded media that is not trying to drum up stories that do not exist.

It hasn't come from Toronto only.

Not saying it's true or that there's fire, but there's been indications that Chipman is more involved than the average owner.

How much that matters or impacted, if at all... :dunno:

Reactions: jetswin

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone besides me not give a flying **** about the media? I just care how the team is playing - the eye test works every time...

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Yup the sky is falling.
Seriously there's 3 teams that missed the playoffs last year and 2 of the 3 teams won their division already and if the Kings win or the Ducks lose their next game ... 3 of the 4 division winners missed the playoffs last year. The 4th division winner the Capitals never dismantled the team after years of playoff disappointed.
You guys need to relax ... the Jets on well on their way to becoming a strong SC contender.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Not saying it's true or that there's fire, but there's been indications that Chipman is more involved than the average owner.

I think he made a mistake with the first coach. He might be overly loyal, though trading Ladd dispels that concern to a large degree. I think he has the right demeanor to be an involved owner because he's patient. Listening to most Toronto blowhard media guys is not a very effective way to learn about the Jets.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Guess if there was smoke, we would be hearing more about the fire, from media that spends the majority of their time with this team.

I do not think it was a secret at all, about Chipman being closer to the players than an average owner, but never heard it was a negative. The one thing this organization wanted to instill right from the beginning was that family type atmosphere, and that we operated like a close net family.

Chipman has picked players up from the airport, he rushes to hospitals when players are injured and he is around the team quite often. Never have I heard a player speak negatively about this, rather, such as when he picked Myers and Stafford up at the airport, both stated it was a very nice way to be welcomed to the city, by the owner.

I believe the negativity stems from having to deal Ladd. Chipman was very fond of Ladd as a player on and off the ice. This made it difficult to trade Ladd, but Chipman never stood in the way of the deal, understood why we had to make it, but he stated it was hard as he had grown a friendship over 5 season with the captain of the team he owns.

Nothing negative, but guaranteed in Toronto, this would have been exploited and talked about to death, to a point that the fan base would become upset with ownership.

Reactions: Naturaledge

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Cbc completely agree with your post. The media in this city does nothing to hold this organization accountable.....its sickening really.

There is no accountability, no responsibility. Media let's TNSE get away with murder here.

TNSE can hire me anytime, I would get the summers off and virtually no expectations or results needed the rest of the year.

People can say: #WhatdidHunterdotoday. Chevy and I can be best buds.

Hammer, meet nail.

I had an interesting exchange on Twitter with Bartley Kives:

Bartley Kives ‏@bkives 15 Oct 2014

Seriously, Winnipeg. Don't settle for mediocrity. Don't care if it's a football club, a mayor or content at a national museum. Push harder.
61 retweets 76 likes
MB ‏@MikeyTheDeuce 15 Oct 2014

@bkives @RickRalphTSN How do I push for our media to dig harder and deeper with our #Bombers and #winnipegjets on some of their decisions?
0 retweets 0 likes
Bartley Kives ‏@bkives 15 Oct 2014

@MikeyTheDeuce I think you just did. My colleagues work hard. They have to stickhandle through all sorts of mazes.
0 retweets 0 likes

MB
‏@MikeyTheDeuce

@bkives Oh I know you guys work your tails off in tough industry BUT what mazes? @NHLJets @Wpg_BlueBombers need you more than you need them

Let's be candid. If the media displeases True North then their access is cut off, full stop. Remember the lament about Chevy's unavailablity during the all-star break? That's the tap on the nose the media can look forward to if they stop being PR flaks for True North.

All sorts of mazes. Amazing.

m.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Does having STHs locked in on multi-year deals take pressure of the team to "win now"? I think that's undisputable. I believe that's probably a good thing for the most part.

Is the media too cozy with, or afraid of TNSE to ask tough questions? I certainly think so. There just aren't a lot of hardballs thrown at management. There's a lot of attention, sure, but it's mostly of the just-the-facts variety or softball questions. There's not a lot of challenge to the decisionmaking. Laugh all you want at the Toronto fishbowl media, but Pavelec sure as hell wouldn't get 5+ seasons as starter there...

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Does having STHs locked in on multi-year deals take pressure of the team to "win now"? I think that's undisputable. I believe that's probably a good thing for the most part.

Is the media too cozy with, or afraid of TNSE to ask tough questions? I certainly think so. There just aren't a lot of hardballs thrown at management. There's a lot of attention, sure, but it's mostly of the just-the-facts variety or softball questions. There's not a lot of challenge to the decisionmaking. Laugh all you want at the Toronto fishbowl media, but Pavelec sure as hell wouldn't get 5+ seasons as starter there...

Management sure, but come on, the team wants to win

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Management sure, but come on, the team wants to win

I meant management, there. I don't think the players are too concerned with the STH renewal rates... :laugh:

But looking at that side, the attention the players get here might have a negative effect on their play. You go anywhere and you know people are looking at you. If you're playing badly, everyone in town knows it. You're getting asked about stuff by the media. The fishbowl. You know what a big deal every win and loss is here - can't help but feel that pressure...hold the stick too tight. The Jets look like they're afraid to lose sometimes - now the pressure is off in the standings and they're all over the opposition, coming back from 2 goal deficits, comeback wins in the 3rd...with half the lineup out.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I imagine being the biggest show in town allows them to control the media. If you are a sports reporter in Winnipeg, with no connections to the biggest sports entity in the city, what really, are you?

Wheeler stopped talking to Lawless after he wrote a negative article, Kane as well, yet Lawless' s career hasn't been hurt by it.

But I believe if a media source has a strong following because they report honestly, the organization wouldn't blacklist them for reporting negative stories based on the team's performance.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

I think he made a mistake with the first coach. He might be overly loyal, though trading Ladd dispels that concern to a large degree. I think he has the right demeanor to be an involved owner because he's patient. Listening to most Toronto blowhard media guys is not a very effective way to learn about the Jets.

Doesn't Byfuglien refer to Chipman as "Chipper" in interviews?

I'm having a hard time imagining Chara calling Jeremy Jacobs 'Jakey' behind closed doors, let alone in public.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chipman wants a small, familial front office that's willing to offer and ask for loyalty within reason. Thankfully, I think the Ladd trade shows they're not offering loyalty outside reason.

No concerns until we start seeing something like Geoff Molson's reported involvement in the P.K. Subban contract.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Before I worry about the poor media having to work so hard to break through the Jets PR maze, I'd like to see evidence that they put in aodicum of effort to actually learn about the team. How many times have we seen that media focused on the Jets don't even know basic things about top prospects.

We also have had to endure inflammatory and way off-base articles like the one claiming to know what contracts Buff, Ladd and Trouba were demanding (so off base on Buff's deal it was laughable). Lawless' rant about the Atlanta core was just provocative nonsense.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hammer, meet nail.

I had an interesting exchange on Twitter with Bartley Kives:

Let's be candid. If the media displeases True North then their access is cut off, full stop. Remember the lament about Chevy's unavailablity during the all-star break? That's the tap on the nose the media can look forward to if they stop being PR flaks for True North.

All sorts of mazes. Amazing.

m.

Totally agree, this media sucks. TNSE has all the collective media types balls in a vise. No one wants to tick off TNSE so they let get away horrible decisions, no accountability, no answers, etc. Nothing but soft ball pitches slowly over the plate anyone could answer. Sickening really. TNSE doesn't care about it, they're laughing, no improved results after 5 years and dead silence from the media. It's really a joke.

So no improved results after 5 years, all we fans can do is spin, speculate, hope, pray that something will lead to improved results. We all say the same thing every year, this summer is a big summer for Chevy, this summer is critical to Chevy's future........well let's hope this summer he actually does something. :help:

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Before I worry about the poor media having to work so hard to break through the Jets PR maze, I'd like to see evidence that they put in aodicum of effort to actually learn about the team. How many times have we seen that media focused on the Jets don't even know basic things about top prospects.

We also have had to endure inflammatory and way off-base articles like the one claiming to know what contracts Buff, Ladd and Trouba were demanding (so off base on Buff's deal it was laughable). Lawless' rant about the Atlanta core was just provocative nonsense.

You can't expect these reporters to devote as much time to scrutinizing the Jets as we do here... :sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Totally agree, this media sucks. TNSE has all the collective media types balls in a vise. No one wants to tick off TNSE so they let get away horrible decisions, no accountability, no answers, etc. Nothing but soft ball pitches slowly over the plate anyone could answer. Sickening really. TNSE doesn't care about it, they're laughing, no improved results after 5 years and dead silence from the media. It's really a joke.

So no improved results after 5 years, all we fans can do is spin, speculate, hope, pray that something will lead to improved results. We all say the same thing every year, this summer is a big summer for Chevy, this summer is critical to Chevy's future........well let's hope this summer he actually does something. :help:

[mod]

When exactly are we going to get away from these sorts of ridiculous posts about "faith" as if there is no basis in statistical or any other sort of analysis? The Jets and Canucks have the same results this season, but if you can't see the difference between the Canucks and the Jets, then I don't think that's based on rational or objective analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You can't expect these reporters to devote as much time to scrutinizing the Jets as we do here... :sarcasm:

Nah... They only get paid to do it, then spend half their time whining about how they're treated or penning simplistic articles to show how "edgy" they are. It's all about trying to stand out from the rest of the media for guys like Wazny. I prefer research, thoughtful analysis, and maybe some actual reporting to this melodramatic "town cryer" schtick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad