Press Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Canada

Dec 9, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:
I heard Bettman is on a conference call with all the GMS right now..i Saw that in another thread here somewhere.

Just heard it on the The Fan 590. Bettman's on a conference call with the GM's.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I believe the owners were impressed with the players offer. However, it is not exactly what they want, and they want to have a few things changed. The problem is if they come straight out and say "it was a good offer", then when they make their changes, the players will say "that's too much, you said the last offer was good". So in essence, the owners do need all the time they can get to word their guarded optimism, or whatever you'd like to call it, the appropriate way in terms of public relations. We all know that the players have just offered the best offer either side has given (in regards to negotiating), and therefore the owners can't simply announce that the offer was terrible, or anything like that. Even if the owners didn't like the offer, they have to come out and in some way make it seem like they're considering their options. I assume over the weekend we'll here "owners offer a luxury tax starting at $40,000,000 at $1.75 on the dollar", or other changes to players offers that they know the players will not accept, but will seem reasonable to the fans. This press conference will likely just give a few details on what happened, what was offered, and officially announce that talks are "back on" so to speak.

Like others have said, if anyone expected instant hockey, it's not going to happen. I'd say two weeks from now is the earliest that we'll here there has been a deal reached. Come to think of it, December 25th would be the best day to announce it.

Christmas Headlines: "Merry Christmas Hockey Fans"

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
GregStack said:
I believe the owners were impressed with the players offer. However, it is not exactly what they want, and they want to have a few things changed. The problem is if they come straight out and say "it was a good offer", then when they make their changes, the players will say "that's too much, you said the last offer was good". So in essence, the owners do need all the time they can get to word their guarded optimism, or whatever you'd like to call it, the appropriate way in terms of public relations. We all know that the players have just offered the best offer either side has given (in regards to negotiating), and therefore the owners can't simply announce that the offer was terrible, or anything like that. Even if the owners didn't like the offer, they have to come out and in some way make it seem like they're considering their options. I assume over the weekend we'll here "owners offer a luxury tax starting at $40,000,000 at $1.75 on the dollar", or other changes to players offers that they know the players will not accept, but will seem reasonable to the fans. This press conference will likely just give a few details on what happened, what was offered, and officially announce that talks are "back on" so to speak.

Like others have said, if anyone expected instant hockey, it's not going to happen. I'd say two weeks from now is the earliest that we'll here there has been a deal reached. Come to think of it, December 25th would be the best day to announce it.

Christmas Headlines: "Merry Christmas Hockey Fans"
When you put it that way I guess I can with till December 25TH ;)

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
incawg said:
They just showed marchment on sportsnet complaining that the players have already conceded to much. Leave it to him to rise above the typical idiocy and be the king idiot :lol

I disagree with you. I think the players have conceded too much at this point in the negotiations. Talks should have been ongoing, and when the players conceded something to a large degree, then the owners should have reciprocated in some way or another. There's clearly always room for more movement on the players part, as it's tough to justify making the money they do, however as far as from a regular negotiation standpoint, I'd say the players showed their cards a little too early. (Again, I'm saying that as the first "real" offer by the players, they gave too much too early, they should have given this on their third proposal, after the owners made a few offers of their own, not that what they've given is too much)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Im getting more and more optimistic......i dont know about anyone here. Dont want to jynx anything though.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
In keeping with my previous Christmas comment...

I've got that feeling that I used to get at Christmas when opening presents...I think 6:30 (AM of course...) was the earliest my parents ever let me open presents...

Maybe 6:30 is a magic number? :bow:

(I can dream...can't I? :) )

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
GregStack said:
I disagree with you. I think the players have conceded too much at this point in the negotiations. Talks should have been ongoing, and when the players conceded something to a large degree, then the owners should have reciprocated in some way or another. There's clearly always room for more movement on the players part, as it's tough to justify making the money they do, however as far as from a regular negotiation standpoint, I'd say the players showed their cards a little too early. (Again, I'm saying that as the first "real" offer by the players, they gave too much too early, they should have given this on their third proposal, after the owners made a few offers of their own, not that what they've given is too much)

By your logic, whoever brought the first offer to the table would be conceding too much. We still haven't even heard what the NHL's counter-proposal will be (heck, we haven't even heard the details of the NHLPA proposal). Marchment's comments were way out of line IMO, but that's pretty much the norm for that goof.

Kid Canada

Dec 9, 2004
think.blue said:
Can anyone confirm if the NHLPA will have press conference as well?

The Fan 590 states that the NHLPA will hold a press conference sometime after the NHL's press conference.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
think.blue said:
Can anyone confirm if the NHLPA will have press conference as well?

There has been no mention of any press conference from the PA.

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
Kid Canada said:
The Fan 590 states that the NHLPA will hold a press conference sometime after the NHL's press conference.
Thats what I thought I heard too. Bob McCown said that "both" sides were holding conferences tonight. Wasnt sure if anyone else reported it though.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
incawg said:
By your logic, whoever brought the first offer to the table would be conceding too much. We still haven't even heard what the NHL's counter-proposal will be (heck, we haven't even heard the details of the NHLPA proposal). Marchment's comments were way out of line IMO, but that's pretty much the norm for that goof.

That's not true actually. I believe that when negotiating it'd be better to chip away at something. I think the players have gone from their original standpoint, to basically the middle ground in one offer. I don't think the players have too much more that they can justify offering up in their next offer, hence "showing their cards to early". It's possible that someone could have brought the first proposal and conceded too little in my oppinion (which is what both sides actually did with their first offers prior to the lockout I think, they gave the other side absolutely nothing to work with)

Marchments comments were ill-timed though, I'll agree with that, he should have at least waited until they got an answer back from the league before he started complaining.

two out of three*

ESPN's SportsCenter is going to air a segment that has Jeremy Roenick, and "why he doesn't think there is going to be a season."

This is of course after hot dog eating, paintballing, poker, Notre Dame, The NBA Fight, and the Heisman Trophy Race.. Then MAYBE they'll show that.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
GregStack said:
That's not true actually. I believe that when negotiating it'd be better to chip away at something. I think the players have gone from their original standpoint, to basically the middle ground in one offer.

And what information are you basing this on? We don't even know the details of the proposal.

Robert Paulson*

incawg said:
And what information are you basing this on? We don't even know the details of the proposal.
Ahem.. he said "I think," basically meaning "In my opinion," so that's what he believes is happening.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
incawg said:

We do know some of the details, and we have for a week.

In fact it seems some of the details we were given are now turning out to be less than the actual offers (that have been reported on stations).

I don't really see why this is a huge issue, the players made what has been widely discussed as a good offer, with many concessions, all I said was that for the first real offer, it could have stood to have less concessions (had it of been offered two freakin months ago of course...).

It just seems to me the anti player sentiment around most comments has gone far enough, basically any time a player says anything, regardless of what they say they get labelled an idiot.

This is supposed to be a happy thread...lets stop arguing! lol

EDIT: As well as what the Penguins fan (sorry, forgot the name) mentioned, I'm giving my opinion.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Press conference pushed to the end of the hour now.

Press conference pushed to February 2007... :joker:

I think I'm going to freak out if they keep this trend of pushing it back going...even though we generally seem to think the longer the better...the old heart can't take much more...

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
GregStack said:
It just seems to me the anti player sentiment around most comments has gone far enough, basically any time a player says anything, regardless of what they say they get labelled an idiot.

I still don't see where - other than having blind faith in Marchment's comments - there's been anything said thus far that would lead anyone to the conclusion that the players have "gone too far" with this proposal. To be honest, I can't fathom a scenario where they could possibly have gone too far, barring the NHL immediately accepting their proposal. These are not some scrubs off the street doing the negotiations for the PA. I guess what irks me more than anything is that 5 minutes after we finally get some progress, we've got this whining about money from a player who has made millions with a style of play that is predicated around injuring other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad