GDT: Press Conference Introducing Alex Meruelo as Coyotes Owner, 1pm, @GRA

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
What I liked about the article has already been echoed. Community outreach. That has improved tenfold since Cohen has come poin board. And now that we have a legitimate owner, we should be able to use that to our advantage. He should be able to get his team better connected with other teams offices, and really understand what helped other teams grow their fanbase. All good things moving forward it looks like. Just need to keep executing.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What I liked about the article has already been echoed. Community outreach. That has improved tenfold since Cohen has come poin board. And now that we have a legitimate owner, we should be able to use that to our advantage. He should be able to get his team better connected with other teams offices, and really understand what helped other teams grow their fanbase. All good things moving forward it looks like. Just need to keep executing.
The ONLY thing missing in the equation is WINNING.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
It's very early, but Meruelo seems like the type of owner the Coyotes have needed from day one. Hopefully, he can figure out how to grow the fanbase in Arizona, and talk of Ownership issues, and potential moves come to an end.

On a side note: Not from the area, but from my understanding the City of Phoenix wanted a joint arena not too long ago, so IMO it's sad that Sarver got his way, and the Phoenix Metro isn't going to get a new joint facility for the Coyotes and Suns. I think that would've been great for everyone, but I guess until the day the Suns and Coyotes are under the same owner, it's just wishful thinking.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The Vinik comparable is particularly interesting because the Coyotes were one of the teams Vinik was looking at before he decided to buy the Lightning.

Reactions: RABBIT

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Interesting to note he's putting money into the GRA - must be planning to stay there for a bit, at least.
(Yes, I know a new arena can't be built tomorrow - more about making a point of his commitment to their current placement for the interim)

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
^ That and the Kessel trade. I don't think we're getting a press conference for that though, unfortunately. Maybe we need a new PR department. We should be screaming from the top of Camelback Mountain, "Phil Kessel is an Arizona Coyote!"

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Interesting to note he's putting money into the GRA - must be planning to stay there for a bit, at least.
(Yes, I know a new arena can't be built tomorrow - more about making a point of his commitment to their current placement for the interim)
Who said it's his money? I would think the COG footed a big chunk of that.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
^ That and the Kessel trade. I don't think we're getting a press conference for that though, unfortunately. Maybe we need a new PR department. We should be screaming from the top of Camelback Mountain, "Phil Kessel is an Arizona Coyote!"
Under promise and over deliver. Build a winner and they will come.

Yeah, I'm also superstitious in that Coyote individual player build ups have always fallen flat.

Reactions: Jakey53

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

Kessel doesn’t want to do one right now

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Who said it's his money? I would think the COG footed a big chunk of that.

CoG isn't obliged to remodel training facilities. They put $1.5 million in towards the arena scoreboard system out of the estimated $10 million it cost, they will fund the basics like the ice plant and general suite upgrades, wifi systems, etc. because they are used for all events.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
CoG isn't obliged to remodel training facilities. They put $1.5 million in towards the arena scoreboard system out of the estimated $10 million it cost, they will fund the basics like the ice plant and general suite upgrades, wifi systems, etc. because they are used for all events.
Ice plants used for all events? Unless you have a copy of the lease I don't think any of us can say with any certainty who pays for what and how much each pay for repairs, remodeling etc.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Ice plants used for all events? Unless you have a copy of the lease I don't think any of us can say with any certainty who pays for what and how much each pay for repairs, remodeling etc.

Never heard of Disney On Ice?? Stars On Ice?? AEG can book ice shows independant of the Coyotes because the ice plant is an integral part of the arena. It's there reardless if there's a hockey team or not.

Coyotes are a tenant in an arena that has a built in ice system. They pay rent to use that system, but are not obliged to pay for it's upkeep, that's AEG's job.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Longtime Coyotes supporter John Shannon is out at Sportsnet. So too is Nick Kypreos.

Sucks about John Shannon, always liked him. Nick Kypreos on the other hand, I can't stand him. I'm not sure what it is, I think it's a mixture of a lot of things.

Both will land on their feet relatively quickly, Pierre LeBrun being let go from ESPN was probably the best thing that could have ever happened to him. I can see John Shannon finding a job pretty much anywhere in hockey media. I can see Kypreos trying to start a podcast or some shit like that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->