HF Habs: Press Conference 15pm

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I just don't understand how he signed Drouin to that contract in about 1 hour flat yet he won't give Galchy the same deal. They are almost identical at this point.

Not sure why Galch would take the same deal when he's proven more. So might not just be Bergevin holding this up.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Bergevin "I don't care about where a player got drafted, when you're 3/4/5 years into the NHL you are what you are, i evaluate players based on what they are now"

foreshadowing

Well Chucky scored 30 goals last year, was almost ppg for the 40 games up to injury and had 20 points in first 20 games this year, 5th in scoring in the league and was +11.

Got injured.

Looking at years 4 and 5 I guess Galchenyuk is an easy stay, unless offer comes in that knocks MBs socks off

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I just don't understand how he signed Drouin to that contract in about 1 hour flat yet he won't give Galchy the same deal. They are almost identical at this point.

Galchenyuk probably wants a little more

But its mostly because he's listening to offers
You cant sign galchenyuk and then just trade him...

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I can't believe some of you are actually having a discussion about the pro and cons of moving up and using examples of players chosen while doing so :laugh:

Their is absolutely 0 correlation between moving up in 2017 draft compared to moving up in any other draft in history.

The only part that can be discussed would be the cost of moving up, and the risk of doing so. Moving up will no land you a Tinordi or a Karlsson. It will however land a team potentially the player that coveted and it may work, or it may not. Moving up plays no factor in that outcome.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
LeBlanc was a bad pick. However, it is a development issue that he didn't make it as a 3rd liner based on where he was when he played in the NHL.

Tinordi was a bad pick. It was a development issue that he couldn't become at the least a bottom pairing PKer.

Beaulieu was a good pick. It was a development issue that he did not become a second pairing, second PP unit defenseman in Montreal.

Galchenyuk was a good pick. It has been a development issue at center since they played him at wing and didnt even play him on the wing he scores from the most.

McCarron is an OK pick. It's a development issue that he projects as a fourth liner instead of a 3rs liner now.

I can go on and on. Truth is, if most of your first round picks aren't meeting their FLOOR, you have a developmental problem.

B-I-N-G-O ,

again!!!

That's twice in one day!!!

It seems that the older(in age) posters have a different view of things.

WTK, WS & myself.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Well... he kinda just traded for him. More of an explanation than a reason. I'd also like to point out that most outside of here considered that deal a pretty fair one.

Not sure why Galch would take the same deal when he's proven more. So might not just be Bergevin holding this up.

How many UFA years? I'd be perfectly happy at Galchenyuk on a somewhat similar deal money-wise for 3 years.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
How hot is Texas? Wear gloves when you open the door of your parked car in the summertime. I didn't have gloves when I was in a Dallas suburb, so I used a towel to avoid blisters. Houston has a subtropical climate and can be hot and humid.

I know, I didn't respond to the comment about Galchenyuk. Like everyone else, I'm waiting for an announcement.

I was in El Paso this past Sunday, got home last night, 107 yesterday, 111 today. Friggin brutal

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
The players they've picked with higher end skating have been much better. The problem is, they've continuously picked players that lack skating skills stating that they can work on it.

McCarron
Galchenyuk
Tinordi
Scherbak
De La Rose

All lack high end skating. Galchenyuk; however, has elite level puck skills which compensates for his skating. The others, not so much.

Beaulieu is a hell of a skater though, and is a solid NHL player. I guess I just think development is a massive part, but the way the game is played now, the biggest asset in an organization is the ability to skate at high speeds and play at that pace.\

Higher end skating

Beaulieu
Lehkonen
Sergachev

Looking at the draft list though, there doesn't appear to be any method to it. Although, last year I think could be a good draft as Mete and Bitten are good skaters with good puck skills. We'll have to see though.

Scherbak & DLR have skating issues???

Who knew!!!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
MB makes zero sense in some of the things he does...he better hope JD and his agent with an attitude doesn't show up and make a mess of things...:shakehead

The longer MB is the GM of this team, the harder it is, to trust his judgement...:shakehead

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston

Seriously. And Chucky has done that within the context of the Habs, and playing off the 3rd line and in random combinations.

I've never heard him gush over Galchenyuk the way he does over Drouin. Maybe when he was picked, but after that, it's all been neutral to negative.

Unless he's getting a top 4D + legit #1C (which he is not), there is no reason to trade Galchenyuk. I don't blame MB for not discussing contracts, since he's in negotiation with both Chucky and Radu, but I don't really feel as confident as I did this morning that we'd come away as a much improved team, which includes Galchenyuk as our #1C and Radu signed.

Hope I'm wrong.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Because the name of the game is speed, skill and hockey sense. Because Drouin has been trending up non-stop and hasn't had a down year yet.

On the other hand Galchenyuk has had multiple knee injuries and was never fast to begin with. He doesn't have the most amazing hockey sense either.

So, the way the league is evolving, it seems to me like the habs are projecting Drouin as the player who will have a better impact moving forward.

Contracts should never be given on past performances but more on what teams think players will do in the future, or if they have no choice but to give a bad contract to keep an important player in a period of contention.

I personally see a much brighter future ahead for Drouin based on his skill set compared to Galchenyuk.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You know when I watch Bergevin I am amazed out how incompetent he comes across. The guy could not manage a Taco Bell yet he has been handed the keys to such an iconic franchise is hard to comprehend.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
Because the name of the game is speed, skill and hockey sense. Because Drouin has been trending up non-stop and hasn't had a down year yet.

On the other hand Galchenyuk has had multiple knee injuries and was never fast to begin with. He doesn't have the most amazing hockey sense either.

So, the way the league is evolving, it seems to me like the habs are projecting Drouin as the player who will have a better impact moving forward.

Contracts should never be given on past performances but more on what teams think players will do in the future, or if they have no choice but to give a bad contract to keep an important player in a period of contention.

I personally see a much brighter future ahead for Drouin based on his skill set compared to Galchenyuk.

Seriously????

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

He gave Andrew Shaw 6X4...

Let's not kid ourselves, Bergevin is no genius. In any case, Brisson will have many ammunitions to command as much if not more. Not sure Drouin had that kind of leverage just yet.
And like others have mentioned, why can't we keep both?

Last edited:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

With your explanation, sounds like it's time to remove Max Pacioretty from this team, and keep Galchenyuk on a potential sweetheart deal while trading Max on one, that will expire very soon.

Drouin is a 22 year old playmaker. Galchenyuk is a 23 year old goal scorer. Why not keep these two together?

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
They aren't poor skaters, but it's far from a strength imo.

DLR :

Talent Analysis
De La Rose's defensive-minded style of hockey has earned him time with the Canadiens, appearing in 33 games last season and playing on a line with Lars Eller, in a shut-down role with the team. While he's not the fastest skater on the team, he's very mobile and fluid, with an excellent pivot that allows him to cover a large part of the ice. His ability to read a play and cut off passing lanes is top-notch. There's not much production value to De La Rose's style, but that is primarily based on his deployment in defensive-zone starts and being faced with tough assignments as a 19-year-old.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jacob-de-la-rose/#LETubiAqAS5goHxb.99

Niki :

Talent Analysis
Scherbak has the tools of a fine scoring winger. He is quick, agile and has great endurance. His wrist shot is released quickly and is both hard and accurate. He has the ability to make a play out of nothing with crafty stick work and a pivot that fools defenders. He tends to shy away from contact in the dirty areas and corners, relying more on positioning and using his stick to chip away at pucks. Scherbak's defensive side of the game has drastically improved. He has the ability and passion to be a top-six winger at the NHL level.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/nikita-scherbak/#jQySxD3l5YMQjDx1.99

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Seriously????

What do you want me to say ? No I was joking ?

Dead serious Uwey. This is a message board so if you disagree you can use your little fingers and type why or get out but these "lol serious" type posts are pretty useless.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
With your explanation, sounds like it's time to remove Max Pacioretty from this team, and keep Galchenyuk on a potential sweetheart deal while trading Max on one, that will expire very soon.

Drouin is a 22 year old playmaker. Galchenyuk is a 23 year old goal scorer. Why not keep these two together?

Agreed

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

This is what I want. If they insist on trading him it has to be for somebody young like a Hanifin.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
He gave Andrew Shaw 6X4...

Let's not kid ourselves, Bergevin is no genius. Not sure Drouin had that kind of leverage just yet. In any case, Brisson will have many ammunitions to command as much if not more.

The thing is that for Drouin, Bergevin bought prime years. If it had been a bridge deal it would have been way different.

I don't expect Galchenyuk to sign a long term deal because the habs brass does not like what they see with Galchenyuk. They need to see more consistency. Galchenyuk's performances after his knee injury were ABYSMAL and hugely worrying. I don't blame the habs for not opening the coffers at this point.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
B-I-N-G-O ,

again!!!

That's twice in one day!!!

It seems that the older(in age) posters have a different view of things.

WTK, WS & myself.

I'm against taking 6.6 feet guys who weigh 230 pounds when they are 18 as a first pick

Unless of course it's a Mario Lemieux. Lol.

But think about it, guys who are 6.6 and 230 pounds and who played against MUCH smaller 16,17,18,19 year olds in junior obviously use their body rather then their skill to take pucks away from the smaller guys hence their development of their skill are neutered as they rely on brut force rather than fast tempo skill. That doesn't carry over the the NHL that's why tinordi and mcarron types fail more often

I'd rather pick around 200 pound 6 feet and develop his skill

Look at gahllager he needed to rely on his skill growing up not brute strength

Johnny gaudreau , Martin St. Louis, and so on and so on

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
You know when I watch Bergevin I am amazed out how incompetent he comes across. The guy could not manage a Taco Bell yet he has been handed the keys to such an iconic franchise is hard to comprehend.

exactly the way Galchenyuk comes across to me, always the puzzeled look,not the fastest thinker out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->