TSN: President of Hockey Operations Search

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nobody that sees themselves as a seasoned hockey exec with any credentials will come in here and work under Dorion. Period. Where is Gord Stellick when you really need him. They are looking for what's called a Senior advisor to the GM or special assistant to the GM not a POHO. Teams that have these guys have X players in those positions. Why would a guy like Chris Phillips not fit that here. Maybe a guy like Steve Tambelini would work in that role.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's a shame Brian Burke would never touch the job, because he'd be ideal. He'd let Dorion be the day-to-day GM, sure, but he would be setting the broad direction and have final say, which would work for me. He'd also be the media front man, which would be really entertaining and remove Dorion from a role where, shall we say, he doesn't shine. Dorion is a good scout and hockey guy - let him do that and Burke would do the rest. Sadly, the first time Burke and Eugene had a disagreement it would end in Burke leaving...

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
It's a shame Brian Burke would never touch the job, because he'd be ideal. He'd let Dorion be the day-to-day GM, sure, but he would be setting the broad direction and have final say, which would work for me. He'd also be the media front man, which would be really entertaining and remove Dorion from a role where, shall we say, he doesn't shine. Dorion is a good scout and hockey guy - let him do that and Burke would do the rest. Sadly, the first time Burke and Eugene had a disagreement it would end in Burke leaving...

Burke basically owes Ottawa a Stanley Cup after piggybacking on Bryan Murray's work for Anaheim's 2007 run. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Larionov

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would love Hextall. He isnt shy to voice his opinion, he believes in drafting and developing and not rushing.

Hell yes! And he looks to have an astute eye for young talent, too. He would've fit in perfectly for Ottawa.

...and I want him to teach our goalies the art of being batshit crazy in the crease. :DD

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hell yes! And he looks to have an astute eye for young talent, too. He would've fit in perfectly for Ottawa.

...and I want him to teach our goalies the art of being bat**** crazy in the crease. :DD

Imagine the impact Hextall could have had on a young Robin Lehner. Lehner might have led the league in fighting majors

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Hextall would be a perfect fit for this situation and I said that at the beginning but we all know it will be some 'yes' man if it ever happened.

After EM sells Hextall is top of my list along with Mark Hunter.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Imagine the impact Hextall could have had on a young Robin Lehner. Lehner might have led the league in fighting majors

...I would've been totally ok with that. I miss having "entertaining" netminders in this league.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Bumping this. I think Randy Sexton was mentioned a while back as a potential candidate for the POHO role. Shouldn't be much standing in the way (aside from the obvious M word), how does everyone feel about Sexton coming back?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Bumping this. I think Randy Sexton was mentioned a while back as a potential candidate for the POHO role. Shouldn't be much standing in the way (aside from the obvious M word), how does everyone feel about Sexton coming back?
I'm ok with Sexton. I'd be ok with anyone really. Any front office add to this org would be a bonus

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Are we even still looking for someone? I know it's not the same role but i kindof assumed this search ended with Little and then again with Leblanc.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Burke has found his calling as a media personality. Other than 07 which is questionable due to Murray's fingerprints all over the team, Burke is a mediocre hockey guy. His tenure in Toronto is a prime example.
Burke is a media guy now and I am pleasantly surprised how good he is in this role!

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Are we even still looking for someone? I know it's not the same role but i kindof assumed this search ended with Little and then again with Leblanc.
I’d have hoped the guy we hire for that role would have input into the teams plans regarding hockey, so a guy who understands the nuances and what the game is. Little and Leblanc are not even remotely that guy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I’d have hoped the guy we hire for that role would have input into the teams plans regarding hockey, so a guy who understands the nuances and what the game is. Little and Leblanc are not even remotely that guy.
No, they are definately hired with a different role in mind, but i just felt it was a one or rhe other situation

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Seeing this bumped I expected to read that Leblanc was out already.
In all seriousness, I'm wondering how long he'll last and what will be the reason for his eventual departure? It'll have to be personal reasons since I don't think he'll make it until the next time the Senators hit the ice so he can't really be blamed for poor performance?

Reactions: Gesus

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No matter who it ends up being, they are going to have a difficult time with an interfering, loud mouth owner who is going to give his opinion regardless of how ignorant he might be of the subject at hand. EM has already gotten the reputation of being a giant A-Hole to work for. What he should do is apologize to Cyril Leader, bring him back & give him more autonomy, but we all know he will never do that.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
In all seriousness, I'm wondering how long he'll last and what will be the reason for his eventual departure? It'll have to be personal reasons since I don't think he'll make it until the next time the Senators hit the ice so he can't really be blamed for poor performance?
The arena is too far.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
The interesting part is that he is being paid by Buffalo for the next 2 seasons, so Melnyk wouldn't have to pay him much at all if he could swing it.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I feel like this team wont be adding any payroll anytime soon. Its too bad, cause hiring an experienced POHO would create some goodwill

Hopefully not.

I think with COVID, that they may have to hire some local help. EM definitely won't be flying to Ottawa anytime soon. His days as a meddler will be curtailed IMO because of this.

The necessity is obvious. We'll have a full stable of top prospects and players. The time for a real POHO is now.

Reactions: BatherSeason

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

I have the same question. I’d assume the search is over until further notice despite the fact that it would still be wise to add someone in that role.

Burke has found his calling as a media personality. Other than 07 which is questionable due to Murray's fingerprints all over the team, Burke is a mediocre hockey guy. His tenure in Toronto is a prime example.
Burke is a media guy now and I am pleasantly surprised how good he is in this role!

I tend to agree that Burke seems to have found his retirement gig on Sportsnet, but I certainly think he would be a good hire.

His most relevant experience to what he could do in Ottawa is actually what he did in Vancouver. When he was hired in 1998, attendance was dropping sharply and the team needed a rebuild.

He identified the players he thought would accelerate the rebuild and pulled the trigger on moves to bring in the Sedin twins. He traded a malcontent Bure for Jovanovski. He also drafted Kesler and Bieksa and traded for Salo, all of which helped set up Vancouver to have solid teams for 15 years. He’s also the one who traded up in Hartford to draft Pronger.

More importantly than all that he rebuilt the fan base and increased ticket sales in Vancouver. https://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=8756

T
here are a few interviews out there where he explains pounding the pavement, being all over the city convincing people to buy back in. It’s pretty impressive stuff and exactly what we need in Ottawa.

He’s also one of the few who has the clout required to contain Melnyk like Bryan Murray did. Burke has in fact mentioned having discussed with Murray about that side of his job and said he was impressed with how Murray handled it.

In terms of personality, he’s certainly brash, probably over the top in that sense, but it’s probably something Dorion could benefit from in an advisor.

I would worry a little that he’s outdated, but at least you’d still have PD as GM.

I doubt he’d want the job but if so, I think he could certainly contribute to improving things.

Reactions: otown

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
This was never a real search nor a real position. It was a spin move to take attention away from the dumpster fire that was our trade deadline situation last year (2019 season).

Reactions: Gesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad