TSN: President of Hockey Operations Search

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Let's be honest - Potvin just doesn't want to spend the winter in Ottawa if he can avoid it. He's quite happy in South Florida, thank you very much. :) Otherwise, this would be a perfect gig for him - collect a paycheque for being a Hall of Famer and big local name, attend the games so that the cameras can cut to him occasionally looking thoughtful and concerned, and go to meetings and ask a few questions of Dorion and the scouting staff. C'est tout. Alas, Eugene likely isn't paying much, and Potvin doesn't really need the money...

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I thought we already had a thread for POHO? What happened?

Anyway, there are certainly still viable candidates out there, but what has changed during this process to draw any of them to Ottawa?

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Don't worry guys, Steve Yzerman is just using the Red Wings offer as leverage so he can sign a deal with his hometown team, Kawhi style. :sarcasm:

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Doug McLean just got laid off from Sportsnet. Probably wouldn't have the patience to work with PD or Dorion but could be a stabilizing influence with lots of experience.
Running out of options if the Sens are indeed interested in filling this position. Experience required!!

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
they wont hire McLean. He has an opinion. Melnyk only hires yes men.

Might not be for the worst. Yeeeesh MacLean has a putrid draft record with the Blue Jackets outside of Rick Nash who was an autodraft selection basically, especially considering they were picking top 10 every year. I'd prefer to keep his opinions away from here.

Reactions: Sensators

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On this Gillis front, I have it on very good authority that Gillis turned it down based on two conditions:

1. He only wanted a one-year (try-out) contract.

2. He wanted complete oversight/authority over all hockey-related decisions, which Ottawa's ownership/management was not prepared to give.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
On this Gillis front, I have it on very good authority that Gillis turned it down based on two conditions:

2. He wanted complete oversight/authority over all hockey-related decisions, which Ottawa's ownership/management was not prepared to give.

To be fair, that's a dangerous combination... a guy that won't commit past one year and wants to be able to over-rule long term implicating decisions?

I would have liked Gillis as POHO, but we really do need a long term solution,

Reactions: coladin

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
To be fair, that's a dangerous combination... a guy that won't commit past one year and wants to be able to over-rule long term implicating decisions?

I wouldn't want to be locked into a a multi year deal with Ottawa either.

Reactions: Yak

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I would love Hextall. He isnt shy to voice his opinion, he believes in drafting and developing and not rushing.
Ugh that'd be a dream come true. I hope we land him and then he goes hard after a couple of his Philly guys. Philippe Myers would be my target. The perfect RD for our PMD's on the left.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

So what exactly are they looking for a president for? To take orders from Melnyk?

Why am I even asking this question?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Well, Gillis wanted protection from the kind of reputation that Dorion has earned as Melnyk's puppet.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, Gillis wanted protection from the kind of reputation that Dorion has earned as Melnyk's puppet.
Oh yeah, I don't blame him at all. I just don't think under normal circumstances those would be reasonable requirements. We obviously aren't bringing a POHO into normal circumstances...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad