Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
tenor.gif

Reactions: Cloned

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Aside from Sanchez(who I wouldn't mind), what other UFA options are there to shore up the bullpen?

I really think with our low payroll and 16 team playoff, we have to throw a couple darts to at least give it a legitimate shot.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
They don't have as much depth as they think if in 2 out of 3 games so far they've had to toss pitchers not ready for high-leverage situations into high-leverage situations.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
They don't have as much depth as they think if in 2 out of 3 games so far they've had to toss pitchers not ready for high-leverage situations into high-leverage situations.
Oh they have lots of depth...it's just all 75% no name brand.

Dolis
Moran
Yamaguci
Gaviglio
Romano(though he has potential)

These guys make up more than half of the bullpen and are all question marks.
That's the "depth"

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't know what to say about the pen. I think I'd rather see SRF, Borucki, Murray, and eventually Kay and Hatch, Merryweather, and Murphy if they're ever healthy in high leverage spots rather than some of these retreads. Not to say they're all awful, Cole, Romano, Moran, and Bass have done their jobs just fine. It just feels like there might be an aversion to using the starter arms for anything other than getting 3 innings here and there. Which piggybacking isn't a bad thing, I like it if both pitchers goes 4 and you've used 2 guys to get to the 9th inning. Piggybacking to get 5 innings and still having to use your 4 best pen arms feels like it's not helping. Put some of the starter arms on the roster to pitch an important spot too. I just feel sick watching guys like Dolis, Gaviglio, Yamaguchi, Bass, Moran, Cole, Romano etc in high leverage spots, even if it's too early to judge the results, which some of them have been positive.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I don't know what to say about the pen. I think I'd rather see SRF, Borucki, Murray, and eventually Kay and Hatch, Merryweather, and Murphy if they're ever healthy in high leverage spots rather than some of these retreads. Not to say they're all awful, Cole, Romano, Moran, and Bass have done their jobs just fine. It just feels like there might be an aversion to using the starter arms for anything other than getting 3 innings here and there. Which piggybacking isn't a bad thing, I like it if both pitchers goes 4 and you've used 2 guys to get to the 9th inning. Piggybacking to get 5 innings and still having to use your 4 best pen arms feels like it's not helping. Put some of the starter arms on the roster to pitch an important spot too. I just feel sick watching guys like Dolis, Gaviglio, Yamaguchi, Bass, Moran, Cole, Romano etc in high leverage spots, even if it's too early to judge the results, which some of them have been positive.
Waguespack is another who even warmed up today.

Between him, Borucki, Kay, Hatch, and potentially SRF (even Romano too), you have a lot of guys who are used to be starters and can potentially go multiple innings. I think Yamaguchi was even a starter overseas.

The bullpen isnt as bad as it seems to be. Only Dolis and Gaviglio have looked bad. With Pearson coming in, and Chase Anderson looking to be an option soon, we are going to
bave a glut of starters needing time.

I wouldnt be surprised to see 4-5 cemented starters with some borderline guys splitting games. I liked the Hatch/Kay split, they just didnt go the distance. We havent even seen Roark or Thornton yet.

People look at the "relievers" and deem the bullpen garbage. But we have a lot of good pitchers on roster who can fill in innings.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Giles certainly did not look "fine" from where i was sitting. His command and speed vanished within the span of like a pitch.

Would not at all be surprised we wake up tomorrow to find he blew out his UCL. That's on Montoyo and probably Walker even more so for not yanking him. I know pitchers are hardheaded as shit but when a guy is struggling that hard, you have to pull him.

Losing your closer in a 60 game season would be something teams in theory could overcome, but the Jays? They have no viable guy they could throw in there and their bullpen is rough as is.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Is it just me or did anyone else notice Fisher pulling a BJ Upton on the last play of the game. Dude took a light stroll out to that ball.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Matt Chapman’s frustrations with A’s organization evident

Disgruntled Oakland A’s 3B?

Sign me up!

What’s the equivalent of Lawrie, Barreto and Nolin? Shaw, Hiraldo and Kay?

Secondary prospects in Hiraldo and Kay have to be better because Lawrie had more control than Shaw.
Other than him being one of if not the best 3B in the game it'd be cool to be able to get a Jays jersey with my own last name on it. There isn't much I'd have off limits for him.

Reactions: Anthrax442

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I hope the Jays get away from the reviler role of set inning. As an example, Bass pitched against the the Rays best hitters I would have liked Giles instead. Obviously that would have been a disaster in hindsight but they need to get rid of the pitcher x pitches this inning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad