Line Combos: Present Future

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think the Corvo trade means Murray/MacLean really liked the:

Cowen-Gryba pairing. It could be a break-out pairing of next year.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gryba
Phillips-Corvo
Wiercioch

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I want to see:

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Corvo
Wiercioch-Gryba
Phillips(replacing Corvo when needed)

But anywaysss....

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Phillips is really not as bad as some people on here make him out to be. There's a reason he anchors our PK. He's not just a good guy and leader, he's also a pretty good hockey player.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Phillips is really not as bad as some people on here make him out to be. There's a reason he anchors our PK. He's not just a good guy and leader, he's also a pretty good hockey player.
BUT he needs a defensively reliable partner, that's for sure.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Phillips didn't have a reliable partner last year, which is why he's better suited for the third pairing.

This 2nd or 3rd pairing stuff, is really a misnomer.

What it comes down to is how much time do you play at ES, and against what quality opposition. And then, whether you play on special teams.

Phillips is still good enough to play steady minutes at ES against tougher than average opposition, which is to say, perhaps not the shutdown pair, but also not protected either. On special teams, he can certainly be part of the four man PK group amongst our D.

Whether that is a 2nd pairing or 3rd pairing, is really a matter of perspective and context. Maclean has certainly never tried to protect him, like he has other members of our D at times.

He's still solid in his own end, even if he gets beat here and there. And he's smart and plays relatively physical (although not a punisher), so he will still eat up some solid minutes for us. Not sure what your deal is with him.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Who fills in on the PK?

As I'm sure you're all well aware, we lost two of our top PK leaders in Gonchar and Alfie.

Gonch was 4th on the team with 100:30 minutes and Alfie was 6th with 75:07.

We also lost other big PKers in Silf, Daugavins and JOB (not sure if he's on the team anymore, wtf happened to this guy?).

Who do you think fills in on the PK to eat those precious minutes and do you expect it to be near the top of the league again next year?

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
As I'm sure you're all well aware, we lost two of our top PK leaders in Gonchar and Alfie.

Gonch was 4th on the team with 100:30 minutes and Alfie was 6th with 75:07.

We also lost other big PKers in Silf, Daugavins and JOB (not sure if he's on the team anymore, wtf happened to this guy?).

Who do you think fills in on the PK to eat those precious minutes and do you expect it to be near the top of the league again next year?

cowen/karlsson/gryba pick up gonch's minutes

an increase in turris', zibby's, greening, michalek's, smith's and spezza's (maybe pageau, if he's on the team) pk time covers the forwards.

we need to get condra signed though. if we don't have condra, we lose our best pk'er.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Condra
Smith
Turris
Michalek
Greening

Spezza?
Pageau?

Methot
Phillips
Cowen
Gybra (if he plays)

Karlsson?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You don't think they'll give Zibby PK minutes?

Later on in the season to be honest, they'll give him a few shifts here and there, get him accustomed to it. Condra is our best PKer as of now. Spezza was amazing on PK before he got injured. Pageau was used frequently on PK when he was called up. Turris and Smith are also very good on the PK. Add that to Ryan who was used on PK in Anaheim.

I still left off guys like Michalek. If Zibanejad is used it's because Pageau is probably sent down.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Turris - Condra
Phillips - Methot

Smith - Michalek
Cowen - Gryba

Spezza - Greening
Karlsson

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Karlsson should PK all the time. He can just do laps around the rink with the puck for a whole 2 minutes. :laugh:

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I'd give ZIbanejad a shot, he seems destined for a bigger role this season. In fact, pair him up with Pageau so he doesn't have to take draws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad