Line Combos: Present Future

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
what was the powerplay we put together when we were shelling out on the canadians.
PP1 kassain-pageau-condra
wier- gryba
pp2 greening-obrian-neil
phillips-boro
im willing to try ANYTHING

Othello*

Michalek Spezza Ryan
Conacher Turris Macarther
Zibanajad Pageau condra
Greening Smith neil

Lets give Conacher a chance,remember he was only a rookie.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Stone did not impress me at all last season in the NHL. Still looks painfully slow, and he hasn't had a chance to work on it because of that high ankle sprain.

I've been watching Stone a lot at the development camp & by no means is he a real fast skater but he isn't Gonchar slow either. He isn't going to be part of one of those pretty fast tic tac toe plays but what he can do is put the puck in the net. He is an incredible scorer from the faceoff dots in towards the net, he has excellent vision, is a better passer than anyone gives him credit for, high hockey IQ & big & strong.

With his long reach Stone keeps guys from taking the puck away, with his strength he can fight guys off in front of the net or along the boards, he seems to drift to open areas of the ice to get that open shot on net & he has a number of good shots around the net. It ain't pretty but he gets the job done, he has a shot at making the roster this fall or more likely later on in the season or if they a trade to open up a roster spot for him especially if he gets on a roll in Bingo & starts putting up significant numbers.

Ryan - Spezza - Michalek
MacArthur - Turris - Zibanejad
Greening - Pageau - Condra
Z. Smith - JOB - Neil/Kassian/Conacher

Methot - Karlsson
Wiercioch - Phillips
Cowen - Gryba/Boroweicki or veteran UFA defenceman

Anderson - Lehner

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
We lost two of our best penalty killers :( wonder who is going to step in and fill that hole.

How about this guy?
Seriouslyu though - not a huge issue - since nearly every forward on the team kills penalties, and the PK was missing both Michalek and Spezza last year. It's also still possible that one of Grant/O'Brien make the team, or one of Ryan/Zibanejad could take extra duties.

Turris-Michalek
Pageau-Condra
Smith-Greening
Spezza-Grant/O'Brien/Ryan/Zibanejad

As for overall line combinations, I think i'd like to see Spezza-Ryan and Turris-Michalek as the 1st and 2nd line fixtures. Everyone else (MacArthur, Stone, Greening, Conacher) can move around as needed. This gives us a real 1-2 punch and also hopefully gives us a 3rd line which is a threat to score.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How about this guy?

Seriouslyu though - not a huge issue - since nearly every forward on the team kills penalties, and the PK was missing both Michalek and Spezza last year. It's also still possible that one of Grant/O'Brien make the team, or one of Ryan/Zibanejad could take extra duties.

Turris-Michalek
Pageau-Condra
Smith-Greening
Spezza-Grant/O'Brien/Ryan/Zibanejad

Highly unlikely that Grant makes the team imo. O'Brien I have no idea what is going on with, but I've all but written him off too.

also, fixed your youtube link, just put the jumble of letters after the =

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
Ryan doesn't really PK, checked out his TOI last season..maybe that will change with us but he didnt with the ducks.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
can i just say,
THIS TEAM IS GOING TO BE FREAKING GOOD!!! AND I AM EXCITED!!!:yo:

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
The only thing we are missing right now is a top 4 dman and we still have many pieces to get us that player.

Ryan Spezza Michalek
Mac Turris Stone
Greening Pageau Condra
Hoff\Prince Zibanejad Neil

Methot Karlsson
Cowen ?
Phillips Wiercoch
Boro

We can use Conacher, Gryba, Smith, and O'brien as trade bait.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I love Pageau as much as anyone. He for sure deserves to be in the NHL. But 2 things are against him:
-Zibanejad has not played any RW in the NHL so far, yet all of you have him playing that position. He's played a bit of LW, but he's much better at centre and that's where he should play.
-There are 14 other forwards who have 1-way contracts/are waiver eligible.

With that in mind,

Conacher - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek
Greening - Zibanejad - Condra
Hoffman - Smith - Neil
Kassian - O'Brien

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gryba
Phillips - Wiercioch
Borowiecki

Anderson
Lehner

Pageau is the first call-up. Then Stone. Then Prince.
Ceci/Sdao on defense.

Prince - Pageau - Stone
Puempel - Da Costa - Petersson
Dziurzynski - Grant - Schneider
Robinson - Cannone - Cowick
Kramer - Culek

Sdao - Ceci
Eckford - Wideman
Claesson - Rutkowski
Blood

Lawson
Hammond

I'd be very surprised if this wasn't close to exactly the way things turn out to start the season.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Michalek Spezza Ryan

Macarthur Turris Zibanejad

Conacher Pageau Stone

Greening Smith Neil

*Kassian and Condra will be used as insurance and Murray recently said that a spot is open for Stone, Prince and Hoffman, have to think Stone is the favorite.

Karlsson Methot

Cowen Gryba

Phillips Wiercoich

*We don't need any more defense, Wiercoich will eventually work his way into the top 4, not right away but he will be there in this season, his potential is enormous. I am not a fan of stop gab and doubt Ian White would be much of an upgrade

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Interestingly enough I have a slightly different view of how our team should look to start the season than MAK. Given how Conacher has looked in development camp, and what I've seen of him in his pro career so far I'd really, really like to see him tried out with Spezza. He would look really good with Spezza and Ryan.

Cory Conacher - Jason Spezza - Bobby Ryan
Clarke MacArthur - Kyle Turris - Milan Michalek
Shane Prince - Jean-Gabriel Pageau - Mika Zibanejad
Colin Greening - Zack Smith - Chris Neil

I think that Prince is ready for the show and he could contribute more than Condra. We have enough defensive forwards to be honest and Prince brings an element of offence that Condra just doesn't. I'm not completely sold on putting Zibanejad on the wing, but I do feel like the above line-up, ultimately, is our best possible line-up this year.

With that said...Lazar has been very, very good for an 18 year old. He's keeping up very well with some 2 year pros and outperforming a lot of older prospects. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he had a good 9 game stint and stuck in the NHL.

thefatjesus*

I do really like the idea of adding another big forward in penner

Ryan-Spezza-Stone
MM9-Turris-Macarthur
Zibby-Pageau-Penner
Greening-Smtih-Neil

except it does take a spot away from the young guys...unless we make another trade :naughty:

R2010

May 23, 2011
I really do believe he can live up to his potential.. The management sure believes he can

Dorion wanted him just as much as Noesen in 2011 - they discussed and finally settled on Noesen because he was more of a "sure bet" but when they came back with the opportunity to trade two 2nds for puemps, Dorion was adament that they take him. I like Puempel's character too much to see him not reach the NHL as a decent scorer. He has huge upside - glad Murray let Noesen go instead of him.

KarlssonnSchultz

Feb 5, 2013
Ottawa
Ideally this is what I would like on day one:

Conacher-Spezza-Ryan
Michalek-Turris-Zibanejad
Macarthur-Pageau-Greening
Condra-Smith-Neil

However if Pageau starts the years slowly I would assume:

Conacher-Spezza-Ryan
Michalek-Turris-Macarthur
Stone-Zibanejad-Greening
Condra-Smith-Neil

Reasoning: I think Spezza and Ryan need to be tried together. I think Conacher will be fairly useless on any line besides the top two, but has enough skill to succeed there. If he fails there I would also like to see Zbad get a shot on that line. I also really like the idea of having smith Neil and Condra together and letting other, more skilled guys grow with each other.

Karlsson Methot
Cowen Gryba
Wiercioch Phillips

I would however like to sign any #3-5 defenseman and play him in Gryba's spot. I would also like to say that I don't necessarily want Cowen playing with Karlsson and having his offensive potential limited by playing D with EK. Karlsson and Methot are so good together that it just doesn't make sense anyway.

Anderson (58)
Lehner (24)

I think with the addition of one defenseman, this is absolutely a cup contender.

Jan 9, 2011
Victoria, BC
Dorion wanted him just as much as Noesen in 2011 - they discussed and finally settled on Noesen because he was more of a "sure bet" but when they came back with the opportunity to trade two 2nds for puemps, Dorion was adament that they take him. I like Puempel's character too much to see him not reach the NHL as a decent scorer. He has huge upside - glad Murray let Noesen go instead of him.

This is what i saw aswell

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Interestingly enough I have a slightly different view of how our team should look to start the season than MAK. Given how Conacher has looked in development camp, and what I've seen of him in his pro career so far I'd really, really like to see him tried out with Spezza. He would look really good with Spezza and Ryan.

Shane Prince - Jean-Gabriel Pageau - Mika Zibanejad
Colin Greening - Zack Smith - Chris Neil

I think that Prince is ready for the show and he could contribute more than Condra. We have enough defensive forwards to be honest and Prince brings an element of offence that Condra just doesn't. I'm not completely sold on putting Zibanejad on the wing, but I do feel like the above line-up, ultimately, is our best possible line-up this year.

With that said...Lazar has been very, very good for an 18 year old. He's keeping up very well with some 2 year pros and outperforming a lot of older prospects. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he had a good 9 game stint and stuck in the NHL.

Interesting. Though if I am removing Condra for Prince I really question if he has any guarantee at all of more offence. Condra actually gets about the same number of points as Smith and Neil. He is the least scoring forward on the team but he is far from an offensive black hole. He does suck at scoring though, but he creates chances, and can pass and pressure in the offensive zone. Prince is far from a guarantee at all to provide 20-25 points, and anchor the PK. I would move Condra but not to clear a spot for Prince. I think Stone, Hoffman, Prince, Puempel and even Lazar are waiting for an injury to get there shot in the top 12. If there is an injury in the preseason and Lazar gets a 9 game look he can make an impression. Assuming somehow Lazar does get a try out and shines! Plus Condra is gone like you proposed.

Colin Greening - Mika Zibanejad - Zack Smith
Curtis Lazar - Jean-Gabriel Pageau - Chris Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gryba
Wiercioch - Philips (as RD)

Anderson / Lehner

Those lines would be really difficult to play against. Both of the top 2 lines have big bodies and speed to play against, and an energy guy. The 3a and 3b lines would both be nightmares to play against and made for the playoffs. The Zibanejad line would have three physical forwards. I think Zibanejad could help them be pretty effective offensively. The Pageau line with Lazar (could use others if it is not Lazar) would have THREE true energy bug players. Pageau has a very smart offensive hockey sense. I think he could help Neil and whoever else he plays with to score some goals. The only issue is if the bottom 6 could produce enough offence. I think they probably could do well enough.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Michalek - Spezza - Ryan

MacArthur - Turris - Zibanejab / UFA

Hoffman - Pageau - Greening

Condra - Smith - Neil

Trade Conacher for a top4 Dman

Karlsson - Method

Cowen - ??? (trade legit top 4)

Phillips - Corvo/Wiercioch/Gybra

thefatjesus*