Line Combos: Present Future

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe but he played on Anahiem as a LW scoring 30+ a season

He's a natual goal scorer no matter what side of the ice he's on...

Yeah, it could be a good line down the road, but at the moment I'm not sure we have the depth at RW, who is there after Stone if Ryan is on the LW;

Condra, Neil, maybe slide Lazar over...

The Fuhr*

Yeah, it could be a good line down the road, but at the moment I'm not sure we have the depth at RW, who is there after Stone if Ryan is on the LW;

Condra, Neil, maybe slide Lazar over...

I was thinking Michalek
Mcarthur-Turris-MM as the second line

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
I have a feeling Conacher may slot in well with Spezza and Ryan on the LW and Stone spends another season in the AHL. I can definitely see the potential of Stone being up there but I think he's still gonna need some time before he's ready for the top line.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was thinking Michalek
Mcarthur-Turris-MM as the second line

Yeah we could slide Michalek over to the RW, though we seem to be hesitant to have been do so in the past, and it seems odd to have both Michalek and Ryan playing their off wings.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's really to bad Stone was injured in the playoffs since he loses a summer of working on his skating.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Bobby shooting Right is good... Spezza be setting up the one timers... Spezza is a better playmaker then Getzlaf

I know from watching some videos, Ryan likes to set up camp on the left side of the ice, ala Stamkos, Alfie, Ovechkin for that one timer. This is good because Spezza is also a right shot making the pass over to Ryan an easier play on the forehand rather than backhand.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ryan - Spezza - Stone
Mac - Turris - Michalek
Greening - Pageau - Zib
Condra - Smith - Neil

That's 3 pretty even scoring lines and one physical shut down line. If Stone can play in the top 6, it slots everyone down one spot making things a little better.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hey look, I like Stone as much as the next guy, but...

39486774.jpg

HousePerseus

Oct 7, 2011
ottawa
Ryan - Spezza - Stone
Mac - Turris - Michalek
Greening - Pageau - Zib
Condra - Smith - Neil

That's 3 pretty even scoring lines and one physical shut down line. If Stone can play in the top 6, it slots everyone down one spot making things a little better.

I personally think Conacher will fit in somewhere

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ryan - Spezza - Stone
Mac - Turris - Michalek
Greening - Pageau - Zib
Condra - Smith - Neil

Has condra ever played LW? I'm not sold on Zibanejad as a winger either, seems every line has someone playing out of their natural position. Not necessarily bad, but a little odd.

HousePerseus

Oct 7, 2011
ottawa
I really like Conacher too, but those were simply ideal lines if Stone can make the big club. I expect Corey to slot in their somewhere for sure if Stone doesn't make the team
If JGP gets sent down, move zib to the middle. I know greening and Conacher are both LW but they would be nice together.

One M0RE YEAR

Jun 5, 2013
Ryan - Spezza - Stone
Mac - Turris - Michalek
Greening - Pageau - Zib
Condra - Smith - Neil

I'd assume paulrus would have pageau on the wing before zib

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
2013 Powerplay

Any ideas how it will look?

Unit 1
Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
Cowen-Karlsson

Unit 2
McArthur-Turris-Zibanejad?
Wiercioch-Gryba??

Greening and Conacher could fit in as well, Neil tends to get time in front of the net every year, and Phillips might get time instead of Gryba I guess... Not sure if Zibanejad could work on the RW, he'd likely get his onetimer off a lot better on the LW, so we could swap him and McArthur and have them both play off wing.

edit: probably should have just posted this in the line combos thread, feel free to move it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
that's the line i put together right away too. it kind of leaves the rest of our lineup a bit messy though. not sure the way around this

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
I personally dont see Stone as a 70 pt first line kind of guy... I dont really know why...

I would say he isnt even 100% to make the team out of camp

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I personally dont see Stone as a 70 pt first line kind of guy... I dont really know why...

I would say he isnt even 100% to make the team out of camp

agreed. The thing is, coach keep saying how he wants stone as spezza's winger and puts him there when stone is healthy

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Has condra ever played LW? I'm not sold on Zibanejad as a winger either, seems every line has someone playing out of their natural position. Not necessarily bad, but a little odd.

He normally plays RW, but given our depth on the right side, he might have to start getting used to play LW on occaision if he wants to stay in the lineup.

If JGP gets sent down, move zib to the middle. I know greening and Conacher are both LW but they would be nice together.

Ya who knows, maybe JG starts in Bingo.

I'd assume paulrus would have pageau on the wing before zib

They are pretty much interchangeable if they are on the same line. It's nice having two guys that can C effectively.

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
Ryan - Spezza - Stone is a very slow line and a one dimensional combination. I don't see it happening in Maclean's 200 foot system, regardless if Stone makes the team or not.

I personally see something like Ryan - Spezza - Conacher being much more likely. Doesn't have to be Conacher, but someone who's fast, works in the corners and is reliable on defense.

It's also interesting to remember that the team now has a bit of a hole on RW. There's a ton of LWs, but only a couple natural RW. Unless, Ryan really is a natural RWer.... I don't know that.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
This line would be incredibly slow, as none of them are great skaters. This will create problems both offensively (especially retrieving pucks) and defensively, matching up against highly skilled, quicker top lines.

With the addition of Ryan, I think MacLean will be flexible on what he does with Stone. As such, I don't think it is certain that Stone will play with Spezza anytime soon.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
agreed. The thing is, coach keep saying how he wants stone as spezza's winger and puts him there when stone is healthy

Uhhh he's played how many games in the N in the last two years- 9?

I love the Ryan trade and Mcarthur signing for the very reason that now we DON'T have to put rookies on the 1st line, or atleast not right away. Give Stone a chance to play protected minutes first on the 2nd/3rd first to show what he has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->