NFL GDT: Preseason Week 2

member 157595

Bortles was super raw out of college and developed poorly, but his potential was also overstated even at the time in my opinion.

The Jaguars play in an abortion of a division and should have had the opportunity to take a significant step forward but they aren't doing it with Bortles. He's simply not good enough and he's no rookie anymore.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
IDK how. People just love measurables. And overdraft QBs. I didn't like Goff last year either, but at least he still has time to prove something. Bortles basically is what he is at this point.

That draft I had Bridgewater as my personal top QB and might have had Carr as my 2nd, don't remember. But even if I did have Bortles #2, it was close between him and Carr I didn't see him as a Top 10 pick. I do remember wanting no parts of Manziel though. :laugh:

Bortles put up big fantasy numbers in 2015 because they were trailing a lot and people starting buying into the hype, but he was still throwing 2/3 INTs to go with that 400 yards and 4 TDs.

EJ Manuel was a 2 year starter. And played a lot due to injuries his Fr and So year too and was 4-0 in Bowls. And was pretty much the same player throughout. I wouldn't call him a one year wonder. Just much like the Vikings did with his predecessor Ponder, the Bills took a 2nd-3rd round talent in the 1st out of desperation. Even the pundits had him valued there. There wasn't much hype around him like their was Bortles and the others you listed.

I had Carr as the best prospect because he had the best arm talent and overall skillset.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Bortles was super raw out of college and developed poorly, but his potential was also overstated even at the time in my opinion.

The Jaguars play in an abortion of a division and should have had the opportunity to take a significant step forward but they aren't doing it with Bortles. He's simply not good enough and he's no rookie anymore.

He has never looked comfortable throwing the ball. Long release with a weird hitch at the top.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
People changed their lists consistently for that draft class, it was a very fluid pre-draft process.

I had Bortles 1st, Bridgewater 2nd, Carr 3rd. Manziel was off my board, I didn't consider him an NFL prospect. The thing with Bortles is that he had the high potential if he could make those improvements, he just obviously didn't and has picked up other bad habits now. I still don't think his decision-making is bad, he just can't throw the ball.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He can't read coverages, can't throw the ball, terrible release, he's the worst starting QB in football.

I think that last night will end up being his final game starting for the Jags, and it was actually a game where his decision-making was okay. His arm is just done.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The writing was on the wall for Bortles after Marrone sat him earlier in camp for "arm tiredness"

Because somehow, the guy who had two off days on top of throwing very little in camp up to that point's arm was tired.

It's bad when even Jon Gruden has a hard time saying anything good about you considering the guy loves to compliment like everyone on something.

Honestly, if the Bills are actually thinking of dealing guys off like the rumors on twitter...Tyrod is the guy they should look at. He won't win you games by himself but he's sure as hell a lot less self-destructive than Bortles is.

Edit: Source for the Bills rumors

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
If the Jags do something in the QB department, I'm hoping they do it quickly

Picking up an offense halfway through camp will be difficult. They will probably have to narrow it down to only guys that have played in the offense before.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think Marrone had much of a choice but to say it's an open competition after what we saw yesterday. I also think he's just playing it safe in the media and already knows Bortles won't be his starter.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Seahawks will need someone to step up at LT. Fant looks like he broke his leg getting rolled up on.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
If an offense does an end-around play with a WR, if the WR sees he's surrounded by defenders and will definitely be tackled for a loss of 5 or more....why doesn't he just throw the ball away out of bounds? Could've argued it was a "WR pass play".

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Vikings offense still needs a lot of work but at least the OL held up tonight. Surprising since both Reiff and Boone were out but they played well. The passing game needs to get something going before the start of the regular season. Also, Dalvin Cook is going to be really good.

That Fant injury looked bad and it's never a good sign when they have to put an air cast on. I was already concerned about their OL before this.

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
If an offense does an end-around play with a WR, if the WR sees he's surrounded by defenders and will definitely be tackled for a loss of 5 or more....why doesn't he just throw the ball away out of bounds? Could've argued it was a "WR pass play".

Because of a multitude of things. A. if it doesn't reach the LOS its intentional grounding a loss of down. 2. Most Olineman are engaged in blocks at the 2nd level. That's a penalty if he throws it. 3. Its never a good idea for a player who doesn't throw the ball to throw the ball.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
So Blair Walsh is a bitter man.
he pointed and stared down the Minnesota bench after 2 made field goals for Seattle. getting worked up in a pre season game. good times :laugh:

To be fair, you wouldn't? You're a bigger man than I am I guess then :laugh:

I mean, were it me, I'd probably go full MSU kicker lol

wffGGk6.gif

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
So Blair Walsh is a bitter man.
he pointed and stared down the Minnesota bench after 2 made field goals for Seattle. getting worked up in a pre season game. good times :laugh:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ys-ex-minnesota-vikings-teammates-taunted-him

- Seattle Seahawks kicker Blair Walsh said his gestures towards the Minnesota Vikings' sideline Friday night were the result of his ex-teammates taunting him.

Walsh made a pair of 52-yard field goals in the second half, and after each one, he gestured toward the Vikings' sideline. Following the second kick, cornerback Richard Sherman raced onto the field to express his approval.

Asked what the Vikings were saying to him, Walsh said, "Nothing I can repeat here. That's for sure."

"I simply was just responding to getting taunted," Walsh said. "I didn't say anything. When you've got guys who were your teammates for five years yelling at you when you're trying to kick, it's just odd. And I hope they were in jest. And I hope they didn't mean it because I didn't mean anything with mine, but it was definitely not out of nowhere."

Added Seahawks coach Pete Carroll: "I'm fired up for Blair. ...They were giving him a hard time. They were razzing him a little bit and all that. He was just having a little fun with it. He's a really good competitor. I like his mentality, and I think we are very fortunate to have him."

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The writing was on the wall for Bortles after Marrone sat him earlier in camp for "arm tiredness"

Because somehow, the guy who had two off days on top of throwing very little in camp up to that point's arm was tired.

It's bad when even Jon Gruden has a hard time saying anything good about you considering the guy loves to compliment like everyone on something.

Honestly, if the Bills are actually thinking of dealing guys off like the rumors on twitter...Tyrod is the guy they should look at. He won't win you games by himself but he's sure as hell a lot less self-destructive than Bortles is.

Edit: Source for the Bills rumors

Really must suck to be Bill fans

Remember a few years back things were looking up and they nearly made playoffs

Then Marrone left and Rex came scrapping Schwartz 4-3 D which was top 5 D in NFL ,, Been downhill ever since

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad