GDT: Preseason Toronto vs Montreal September 24, 2017, 7:30 PM, TSN4, Scotiabank Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

Interesting morning skate groups.

LoVerde is skating with the NHL group, while Holl and Carrick are both with the AHL group. Which initially I thought was because of the game tonight, but then I saw the 4th line, who is playing tonight, is still skating with the NHL group.

It likely still doesn’t mean much, but I do think it’s a kick in the butt of Holl, and Carrick that neither of them are really winning at this point

I think LoVerde is there as a place-holder, but there are 22 names on the list and that is without Hyman and Nylander. It is likely that one of Borgman/Holl/Carrick are added as an 8th D at least until Willy is signed, but it seems pretty evident who our top 7 D are at this point in Babs eyes with Ozhiganov and Rosen both part of the group. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Pickard win the back up role.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Any idea why Gauthier is taking Hyman's place on the Tavares Marner line? There are probably 6-7 Marlies (Grundstrom, Engvall, Moore, Brooks, Bracco, even Timashov) that I'd rather see on that wing...

Reactions: supermann_98

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Any idea why Gauthier is taking Hyman's place on the Tavares Marner line? There are probably 6-7 Marlies (Grundstrom, Engvall, Moore, Brooks, Bracco, even Timashov) that I'd rather see on that wing...
Assuming it means Hyman isn't going to be out long, and he will keep building chemistry among the other group going into the Marlies' season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hyman did leave the game in Buffalo on Friday with a bone bruise, so I guess Babcock is trying some new with Gauthier since it's just the preseason to see how it might look.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Because he's in the running for 13th forward and they aren't is the most likely guess. All of those guys are definitely going back to the AHL for another season/ to be ready for a call-up.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
It still is a rule, it was just removed for Calgary and Boston this pre season because half their team went to China.

I heard Shawn Simpson say on Ottawa radio the other day that it no longer applied. If it is still on the books they sure aren’t enforcing it, maybe technically, but here’s the Hawk lineup in Ottawa Friday.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
While Goat is a black hole offensively, he's decent defensively, a good faceoff guy in case JT gets waived out and is a big body that crash the net/boards in Hymans place.

Not a bad placeholder to try out. His lack of speed will probably stand out but if JT and Marner have possession of the puck, that's a pretty big body to have causing havoc in front of the net.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Wasn't sure if anyone posted the Habs lineup... so... here it is...

Edit... forgot to add... we could still win this one forsure. Big boys on Wednesday. Ahl game tonight.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
All jokes aside, should be a fun game with both sides stocked with guys on the bubble.

Hot takes aplenty after this one and some will probably have some merit as decisions are gonna be made after this.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah Babs is going to want to get a feel for our full lineups and special teams right about now. Tonight will be the last crack for the kids that’ll be heading down.
Since Matthews and Tavares are not playing won't it be hard to get a feel for their power play since we have not seen them yet in the same preseason game?

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Since Matthews and Tavares are not playing won't it be hard to get a feel for their power play since we have not seen them yet in the same preseason game?

I meant after this game. Going forward to finish the pre-season Babs will want to get the full team formed. Which is why we are seeing almost a full AHL squad tonight.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Relative term. It could be “stacked” compared to our lineup if the Habs had decided to run a squad full of NHL players against our lineup.
I was trying to use some humor in my prior post. Im not very literal. Even if they ice there full "NHL" lineup I still wouldnt use they word "stacked" cause they blow. Our AHL team can very well still beat there "stacked" nhl lineup lol

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Assuming it means Hyman isn't going to be out long, and he will keep building chemistry among the other group going into the Marlies' season.

because Babs wanted to pick the worst possible replacement so that his precious Hyman wouldn't look bad in absentia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->