GDT: Preseason Rematch: Leafs @ Sabres 7PM 9.21.2019

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I'm thinking that Jack was treating it as a training exercise to some extent and trying things to see if they would work.

Oh I agree 100%, not worried about it- but it helps explain some of the dysfunction. Your best player isn't focused on winning so much as trying new things while he can, that leads to turnovers, and from there everyone looked bad at times. If Eichel looks like that in the regular season I worry, but for now his mindset seems very similar to Krueger's, and I'm cool with it. A guy like Lazar needs to play solid hockey, but Eichel doesn't need to be in midseason form, he needs to test the limits of his ability.

Edit- so I shouldn't have said "stupid", "experimental" woulda been more accurate. Only dumb if it's reg. season and you're trying that much craziness.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Oh I agree 100%, not worried about it- but it helps explain some of the dysfunction. Your best player isn't focused on winning so much as trying new things while he can, that leads to turnovers, and from there everyone looked bad at times. If Eichel looks like that in the regular season I worry, but for now his mindset seems very similar to Krueger's, and I'm cool with it. A guy like Lazar needs to play solid hockey, but Eichel doesn't need to be in midseason form, he needs to test the limits of his ability.

Edit- so I shouldn't have said "stupid", "experimental" woulda been more accurate. Only dumb if it's reg. season and you're trying that much craziness.

Any non regular season hockey and hopefully playoff hockey he seems to treat this way to a varying degree.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Most of last season I couldn't understand why the Sabres didn't have Risto and Bogo hold the blue line. Asking them to read plays and make adjustments is cruel. They both are at their best when physically engaged and feeling the game.

I could see both of them bouncing back if coached correctly.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Most of last season I couldn't understand why the Sabres didn't have Risto and Bogo hold the blue line. Asking them to read plays and make adjustments is cruel. They both are at their best when physically engaged and feeling the game.

I could see both of them bouncing back if coached correctly.

We pray to Grier you are correct! :thumbu:

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Missed most of the game, but a few thoughts:
- Reinhart's assists were both beauts. Fantastic vision and passing. I hope there's plenty more of that to come this season.
- GOALOFSSON!
- Even if it's just preseason, always feels good to beat the Leafs. Also, nothing wrong with a good ol' Risto smash.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I will admit that i was one of those people who didn't have a lot of faith in Reinhart's point production and I was a big fan of the bridge contract at the time. He's definitely gonna make me regret having that mindset. He might have 80 points this year. The dude is gonna get PAID.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I will admit that i was one of those people who didn't have a lot of faith in Reinhart's point production and I was a big fan of the bridge contract at the time. He's definitely gonna make me regret having that mindset. He might have 80 points this year. The dude is gonna get PAID.

Blows my mind that they won't use him at center with the crap we have there

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I liked the way they played seems like we finally have someone behind the bench.
I hope Nelson is not on the roster come opening night.
Lazar deserves a shot.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I really liked Olofsson's second goal. He really smacked that one home. Most players would have just flicked a one-timer hoping it's enough but he takes that extra tenth of a second and buries it. Kid's got instincts.

Deleted member 27798

Casey Nelson looks like a deer in headlights again. Lmao
Nelson sucks. He should not even be here as a #7. He is a career AHL guy who should only be on an NHL roster when a blueline has been crippled by injuries.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I didn't catch the entire game but I thought Nelson looked pretty good. I don't know... :)

Nelson is the definition of a 7th dman in the league, he's probably slightly below replacement level in most aspects of the game, but he seems to understand his role and certainly won't make a stink of lack of playing time.

I don't get the ire either, I'd rather he sit in the pressbox while the kids continue to get big minutes down on the farm.

Reactions: Wisent42

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
My biggest takeaway so far is that these guys understand where to be in the defensive zone this year. They are not giving up a lot of quality opportunities. A lot of the goals that have been scored have been on the goaltending, not glaring defensive miscues or missed assignments. It is stil preseason but I am pleasantly surprised with this aspect and it points to Krueger playing a simple yet effective system the players can understand and execute. Hockey at any level doesn't need to be " Look I'm the smartest guy in the room look how complex and nuanced my systems are". Trotz proved in Long Island, just shore up the basics in your own end and you can have success.

Reactions: Wisent42

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Working from home today. Fridge stopped working, so cleaning up mess, troubleshooting it, etc. Watched the Leafs @ Sabres game (5-3 BUF win) where Muzzin put VO into the bench, then shoved him twice more to keep him from getting out, with the linesman or ref right there watching him do it. Pulled up the GDT to see if you folks bitched about it too. Should have been interference (preferred) or unsportsmanlike conduct (acceptable alternative.

Never change NHL, Never change. That's how people get hurt, too.

Hes shoving him back in when he was trying to come back in are you ****ing serious

Absurd you can keep shoving the player until he's fully in the bench when he's obviously nowhere near the puck.

So why isn't the second push on that Muzzin hit not interference?

imagine a playoff goal with some ref admiring a guy shoving someone further into the bench over and over lol

Y'all panic wayyy too much. It's preseason.

ugly shortie there though.

Not sure why stuffing a player into the bench isn't interference/roughing. The puck, the original hit, all that is long over and Muzzin is still pushing Olofsson into the bench. Just a general complaint, seen that occur before with no call and it irks me.

Right In front of the ref... i know its preseason but how do you not call those two extra shoves

Yeah that Muzzin second and third shove after the hit lol...

Good thing it's preseason.

Since when is that not a penalty

How does Toronto always get away with murder against the Sabres?

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Working from home today. Fridge stopped working, so cleaning up mess, troubleshooting it, etc. Watched the Leafs @ Sabres game (5-3 BUF win) where Muzzin put VO into the bench, then shoved him twice more to keep him from getting out, with the linesman or ref right there watching him do it. Pulled up the GDT to see if you folks *****ed about it too. Should have been interference (preferred) or unsportsmanlike conduct (acceptable alternative.

Never change NHL, Never change. That's how people get hurt, too.
Lmao. jeez when i saw the date i thought to myself, What stupid thing did i say that's now gonna bite me in the ass, #CancelLaurAP

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Lmao. jeez when i saw the date i thought to myself, What stupid thing did i say that's now gonna bite me in the ass, #CancelLaurAP
Don't worry, you could say a few stupid things every day and still take years to catch up with some of us...

(and the way I phrased that, it implicitly includes me)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad