GDT: Preseason Rematch: Leafs @ Sabres 7PM 9.21.2019

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Does anyone see a difference in the team from last year yet?

When does Krueger's system start to become more apparent?
It's a more aggressive style. They're playing more as a unit. There's not a huge gap between the forwards and the defense. The forwards are staying back to support the defense on breakouts. Last season the D was hung out to dry. The D is also moving up to support the forwards in a way that involves them in the play. They're not waiting until the Sabres have control in the offensive zone to move up. The overall effect is they're able to outnumber the opposition at the point of attack, apply pressure and create turnovers. It was evident during a stretch in the 2nd period before Eichel's brain fart.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
It's a more aggressive style. They're playing more as a unit. There's not a huge gap between the forwards and the defense. The forwards are staying back to support the defense on breakouts. Last season the D was hung out to dry. The D is also moving up to support the forwards in a way that involves them in the play. They're not waiting until the Sabres have control in the offensive zone to move up. The overall effect is they're able to outnumber the opposition at the point of attack, apply pressure and create turnovers. It was evident during a stretch in the 2nd period before Eichel's brain fart.

Need a mic drop gif. Someone provide

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The ref watching VO get shoved into the bench 5 seconds after he touched the puck:

giphy.gif

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

They adjusted a lot from last night. Held the forwards in tighter so the D didn't run out of room looking for a passing lane to outlet through.

Borgen and McCabe found themselves hemmed in deep in their own zone last night by the Leafs forecheck.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
How many Amerks will Botterill keep up after tonight?

Asplund
Jokiharju
Oloffson
Smith
Nelson

Does Lazar need to go through waivers? I thought he had a good game, but he seemed to be the odd man out when Krueger was juggling his lines.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
So should Millen. What a useless homer that guy is. The worst thing about preseason is having to listen to opposing announcers.

Ya, I understand RJ drives some other fans nuts, but imo it's usually humorous homerism- Millen just has blinders and rose-tinted glasses both. Somehow Gravel gets credit for Rhino stepping up to him, odd.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Asplund
Jokiharju
Oloffson
Smith
Nelson

Does Lazar need to go through waivers? I thought he had a good game, but he seemed to be the odd man out when Krueger was juggling his lines.

Lazar does need to go through waivers.

Olofsson, Smith, Nelson stay for sure. Asplund was a bit rough tonight. Jokiharju might stay with the injuries on RHD and maybe a Risto trade.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Asplund
Jokiharju
Oloffson
Smith
Nelson

dunno, but I really liked Lazar's game tonight. Dude seems hungry, he's the exact type of grinder we need. Puts effort in, throws checks, forechecks, doesn't do dumb, and might have offensive upside. That over Sheary/KO/Sobotka please.

Reactions: Dingo44

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

On defense, I think we retain Nelson, Joker and Borgen. If for no other reason than there's no reason for our "top 6" to play all 3 preseason games left.

At forward, it gets much murkier. Routs and Smith stay up for sure. Olofsson is an NHLer at this point, so I don't count him. Might see Tage stay up. Probably Lazar. I think everyone else goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->