Speculation: Preseason players to watch

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's lots of players I look forward to seeing, but I'm going to keep an especially close eye on:

Folin - can he replace Mac or Hagg? Doubtful, even if superior.
Frost - 3C?
Vorobyev - 3C?
Myers - make the team immediately or call-up?
NAK - 4th line spot?
Hart - readiness? maybe the slimmest of chances to make the team if he plays great
Patrick - first time in a while he gets to train in the offseason. last year was just a teaser.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MV - can he contribute anything?
Bardreau - Ron liked him two years ago, can he recapture what caught Ron's eye before he got injured last year?
Knight - has some NHL experience, can he provide depth as 13th forward or AHL callup
Martel - has he discovered the weight room?
NAK - is he ready for 4 RW job?
Weal - can he get back to his 2016-17 cameo?
Lyon - was his AHL playoff just a flash in the pan?
Friedman - how far has he come along, is he ready to push for a 3rd pair job?
Willcox - has he progressed enough to push Folin for the 7th D-man job, or at least the Alt role as first callup

Frost is a long shot but we all want to see him, Vorobyev has a real shot at winning a job, so does Myers.

Hart, Rubtsov, Twarynski, Laberge, Kase, Bunnaman, basically how do they look playing against men.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Frost - other than getting stronger and more mature I don't think a return to juniors will do his development any good. He would certainly have decent enough wingers to have success, and could possibly help Simmonds become a better ES player. Guessing Lindblom and Simmonds are likely the 3rd line wingers with Raffl and Laughton as good options.

NAK - good teams in the NHL have players like him on their 4th line - not slugs like VandeVelde, Weise, Lehtera. So guessing here it's Lehtera at C and Laughton/Raffl/Weise.

Hart - I have only seen him play in WJC games and didn't really notice him outplaying the opponent's goalie much. I'm no good at evaluating goalies (or any position really) though. I think he has a very good chance of playing soon and playing often given the age and likelihood of the two old goalies getting hurt.

Strome and Ratcliffe - I hope one or both of these guys can make the team in a couple of seasons. Size on the wing is something the Flyers could use a bit more of now, but it will be nice to see the potential.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I really want to see Sanheim have a big camp and make it impossible for Hack to sit him.

Also curious to see who Haks new fav toys will be since Mandog and Filp are gone.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think it will be interesting to watch Lindblom and see where he is at. He and Myers are the two for me. (I already feel like I have a grasp on the Cannon and am ready for him to take off.)

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
Vorobyev. Hope he can make enough of an impression to make the roster. NAK, Myers as well. I don't expect them to make the team out of camp but if they can make a strong impression and get off to a good start to the year they should get called up in short order when someone goes down. I'm interested in seeing Frost and Hart as well. But I don't think they'll make the cut either. Patrick will be showcasing his 40 goal potential, I'm sure.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Carter Hart and Morgan Frost. I think they both can make the team under the right circumstances (though Hart's circumstances are incredibly unlikely to play out).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Ron feels this is a SC contender quite yet, so he's going to be conservative with player decisions, someone like Frost he'd rather have playing big minutes in juniors playing every role than 10 minutes a night in the NHL being sheltered.

Sanheim should force Hakstol to play him 20+ minutes, all he has to do is show up bigger, stronger, smarter and meaner.

Vorobyev is probably headed back to the AHL unless he blows away camp, the thinking is if he doesn't win the job hands down, they're better off with MV or Bardreau to start the season and having Vorobyev playing big minutes on offensive at LHV, and come up when he shows he's ready.

Hart has no chance to make the team this fall, no matter how he looks in camp, they'll want to see him play for an extended period in LHV to gauge whether he's ready for the big time.

It'll be young scrubs (MV, Bardreau) fighting it out with older scrubs (Weal, Leier, Lehtera, Weise) for the last two slots and the 13th forward job. NAK has the inside post for one of these jobs. This could change by January, falter and there's someone ready to take your spot.

Myers is the young player with the best shot to take a job in camp, other than NAK.

Reactions: pmwlker

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Im interested to see what position Weal is for day 1 of training camp. last year Flippula started off as C and everyone was waiting for him to be flipped to LW and it never happened.

Also interested to see who between Frost and Voro gets a bigger push and better linemates. If I member correctly Hak didn’t do much line shuffling, and split the groups early.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'd like to see Frost and Vorobyev gunning for that 3C spot, Aube-Kubel for 4RW and I want to see how Hart acquits himself against Pros.

Yup.

3C being strong makes us a very good team. Weal or whoever makes us a good team. This is the biggest issue.

Next is Myers making it and sanhiem improving.

I haven’t seen a lot of NAK. From reading and highlights it seems that he is ready.

No chance in hell Hart makes it or should make it. Really looking forward to seeing him play. Stolarz as well. I don’t think his career is over the way that no one is talking about him anymore. Elliot and him or or him and nuevy works for me.

Reactions: Rebels57

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
For me this is going to be an interesting camp. There should be some good competition and some previews of whats to come.

Goalie
Can alex lyon turn a cup of coffee and a very good playoff into a real nhl job?
How will neuvy get injured rendering the first question a moot point? If healthy he has the talent to sieze the starting job but will he get the chance before the youth overtakes him
How long before people are calling for harts immediate promotion
Defense
Does gudas get his mojo back?
Is hakstols confidence in hagg enough to propel him forward or does the folin signing shake him
Are we getting early season sanheim or late season sanheim?
Is myers ready and if so where is the open spot?
Friedman prospect or ahl fodder

Forward
Is laughton a center or a winger
Did the pushups pay off for frost over the summer
Does Vorobyev get an honest look
Lindblom real middle 6 guy or utility player
Is vex still a prospect hes got alot of names ahead of him
Is Jordan weal an nhl player how about taylor leir

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Lyon and Hart! Those two would make a fine tandem, (if the lousy coaching staff would give them a chance).
I'm also hoping the best for Frost. I want to see something good come from the Schenn trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad