Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #88: Caps @ Blooj | 4/23/18 | 7:30pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
It's not recommended to sign depth players for that long, especially when you have lots of future good defensemen coming up and taking over. I'd say 2/5.5 or 3/8 is perfect. Use Kempny as a stopgap for Johansen, Siegenthaler etc.

I don’t consider him depth at this point. He’s only 27 too.

Bowey has a LONG way to go and Johansen can come in after Orpik is gone

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
There's really no one that I thought was a passenger or had a bad series, outside of Grubi. Everyone contributed at one point or another. Those last four games were a total team effort. Guys were resilient and each of them carried their own weight. The bottom 6 had some really clutch goals. Good stuff.

I think Lars Eller needs to be better if they want to get through the Penguins.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I just want to say that while I did pick the Caps in seven, I was completely wrong about two things: DSP playing, he really elevated in Round one, and Grubauer starting game one. I based my pick on Grubs playing well, when it was Holtby who lifted the team.

I was correct about PP's being a huge difference maker and man were they.

"If I knew anything about the game I'd be in the game" - GMGM

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
There's really no one that I thought was a passenger or had a bad series, outside of Grubi. Everyone contributed at one point or another. Those last four games were a total team effort. Guys were resilient and each of them carried their own weight. The bottom 6 had some really clutch goals. Good stuff.

Connolly was an empty uniform. Djoos could have been better. Orlov delivered several pizzas and under performed in general.

But for the most part the team played well. The stars sure showed up.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Chiasson should be the one, he's a non-factor, but it will be Vrana because of reasons. Vrana's speed is so essential if we plan one hanging with the Pens.
Like I said there is obvious trust issues with Vrana. Speed is important against the Pens but so is playing defensively. I could see putting in Vrana if he was creating a lot of quality chances but he isn't. Not likely to happen in the bottom 6. And I can't see Stephenson losing that spot on the 2nd line. Chaisson is better suited for the 4th line than Vrana is

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think Lars Eller needs to be better if they want to get through the Penguins.
I'm not too high on Eller myself. He made cquiteca few bonehead plays. I know he is a possession guy but he hangs onto the puck too long at times. He also is killing us on faceoffs.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Can they lock Barry Trotz in the lockeroom after the 2nd intermission? :pullhair:
May I ask what Trotz did that hurt this team. The only mistake he made was starting Grubauer to start the series but he rectified that. If I'm not mistaken you were one of the biggest supporters of Grubauer starting. Trotz did a great job of coaching in this series.

Reactions: ovikovy817

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Barry did well, but the first round is not really a problem for him with a largely stacked roster in his time here. I was bummed to hear he didnt target Panarin to be shadowed, but hey his system worked so credit is due there.

I still question Torts shuffling up his forward lines as much as did after game 5. I thought his team did well and of course could have easily won that game. Losing for all but 30 TOI over the series points to us being the better team but for leading as little as they did, seemed to play us pretty well. Imagine if Bob wasn't bobbing around and shut down our PP.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Burt was brutal until the injury and left the lineup. I love him as a person and I see his talent but he's got no hockey sense at all. Poor guy :( Honestly I think we should look for a ne whome for him before his "potential" tag goes away. Then again if we crash and burn against the Pens and they fire Trotz I wouldn't mind seeing him under new coaching before I cut ties. Perhaps a deadline piece to move if he can't hack it next year. Guess I should give him the benefit of the doubt with the injury plagued season.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'm not too high on Eller myself. He made cquiteca few bonehead plays. I know he is a possession guy but he hangs onto the puck too long at times. He also is killing us on faceoffs.
He has moments that make me facepalm when he tried to get too cute and burn someone one on one but he's a very capable third line center. Let's remember his role. In comparison to 1A and 1B he's nothing but as a third line center he's really decent.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He has moments that make me facepalm when he tried to get too cute and burn someone one on one but he's a very capable third line center. Let's remember his role. In comparison to 1A and 1B he's nothing but as a third line center he's really decent.
I'd rather use Stephenson as the 3rd center.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Barry did well, but the first round is not really a problem for him with a largely stacked roster in his time here. I was bummed to hear he didnt target Panarin to be shadowed, but hey his system worked so credit is due there.

I still question Torts shuffling up his forward lines as much as did after game 5. I thought his team did well and of course could have easily won that game. Losing for all but 30 TOI over the series points to us being the better team but for leading as little as they did, seemed to play us pretty well. Imagine if Bob wasn't bobbing around and shut down our PP.

I am not 100% sure this was all the time, but I did notice that the center was in the lock position in their neutral zone forecheck instead of the right wing a lot. This put a better defender in that position to affect Panarin rushes. Didn't notice this much in the regular season, but I also wasn't looking for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad