Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #86: Caps @ Blooj | 4/19/18 | 7:30pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I was really wondering if someone else was going to chime in on this. Fortunately it turned out to be trivial (of sorts) but man that was as bad a call as I've seen on a routine play in the POs for a while. Wilson does have a tendency to invite some of that stuff but that call in a game against that team is ludicrous.

Also here's a daily reminder for anyone who needed it that Tom Wilson is a pretty good hockey player.

I thought the immediate makeup call was pretty soft. I wonder if Ref A called the Willy hit and Ref B then went and found an excuse to even it up, knowing Ref A made a mistake.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
The penalty was beyond egregious, especially because that was a stellar hit. So exciting. If the league is gonna let that kinda stuff result in penalties, they will take all the fun out of hockey. They should be encouraging great, hard, clean checks like that one, not punishing them.
Joke of a call, even by NHL "standards".

In related news, my Wilson Stadium Series jersey arrived today!
Form some reason I've noticed many females sporting Tom jerseys and tees.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Had to have been. Both basically nonsensical.

I always loved the make up call! Its a part of hockey its a damn fast game and last nights was just that. Proof that coaches need to work the refs. Someone loves Wilson. We NEED Ref B. Someone get his name, and Willy hater Ref A too.

I want Barry and heck BMac wake up dude start talking to the league about Holts being run so much. Watch for the next game blah blah. You know Bus is going to run him again. We cannot let him get run the G is the most important player on the ice. Time for Orpik and Djoos to Malachi Crunch em and not serve up coffee and donuts in the crease like Sarge and Green used to.

2718817256_5f9e91ee9c_z.jpg

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I always loved the make up call! Its a part of hockey its a damn fast game and last nights was just that. Proof that coaches need to work the refs. Someone loves Wilson. We NEED Ref B. Someone get his name, and Willy hater Ref A too.

I want Barry and heck BMac wake up dude start talking to the league about Holts being run so much. Watch for the next game blah blah. You know Bus is going to run him again. We cannot let him get run the G is the most important player on the ice. Time for Orpik and Djoos to Malachi Crunch em and not serve up coffee and donuts in the crease like Sarge and Green used to.
<snip>
One of my main complaints is that "management" is so lacking in this area. Why do they saying nothing or are mealy-mouthed when they do?! :dunno:

Reactions: RandyHolt

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I thought the immediate makeup call was pretty soft. I wonder if Ref A called the Willy hit and Ref B then went and found an excuse to even it up, knowing Ref A made a mistake.
I think that is exactly what happened. I'm sure he made the call and realized he blew it. And the even up call was just as weak. Both teams ended up with a 2 sec pp.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The main thing I have been wrong about, my bad.

I did say to start Holtby though, so I should get points for that. ;)

Also, do the Hawks really have six defensmen better than Kempney?
I also wanted Holtby to start this series. I don't care what people say about Holtby past playoffs. His career GAA is under 2 and his sv% is the 2nd highest all time behind Tim Thomas and those numbers include his mediocre play last seasons playoffs. He has been excellent for us in the playoffs.
Why would young start your backup that had one career playoff start? Starting Grubauer was a huge mistake.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
One of my main complaints is that "management" is so lacking in this area. Why do they saying nothing or are mealy-mouthed when they do?! :dunno:

IIRC someone got a piece of Bob, maybe it was Ovi? The russians have their old battles we know little about.

If the players on the ice don't prevent or counter, its up to Barry to make it loud and clear what is happening. I have seen it happen to us I think the record will show Martin said to watch Halak before game 7. Yet we hadn't run him the entire series, but their coach knew we likely would out of our annual desperation. We didn't, but I still think it was a factor in the Knuble call.

The problem is when a G gets run refs call nothing and play continues as its a mad scramble. Nary a whistle these days so we don't even get replays. You know the league won't see any either. After that happens 3 times in a game and no one even talks about it, I want action dammit. Call up Dale from the AAPR. As a consultant, relax. He was never shy to lower his head and try to stuff the puck and goalie if he was in the way. When you bring the puck along, its OK. Knuble knew.

Back in the day it seemed D keeping the goalie clean was a HIGH priority. Goalies are MUCH bigger now, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bladerunner

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
IIRC someone got a piece of Bob, maybe it was Ovi? The russians have their old battles we know little about.

If the players on the ice don't prevent or counter, its up to Barry to make it loud and clear what is happening. I have seen it happen to us I think the record will show Martin said to watch Halak before game 7. Yet we hadn't run him the entire series, but their coach knew we likely would out of our annual desperation. We didn't, but I still think it was a factor in the Knuble call.

The problem is when a G gets run refs call nothing and play continues as its a mad scramble. Nary a whistle these days so we don't even get replays. You know the league won't see any either. After that happens 3 times in a game and no one even talks about it, I want action dammit. Call up Dale from the AAPR. As a consultant, relax. He was never shy to lower his head and try to stuff the puck and goalie if he was in the way. When you bring the puck along, its OK. Knuble knew.

Back in the day it seemed D keeping the goalie clean was a HIGH priority. Goalies are MUCH bigger now, though.
Odd that Columbus got a couple goalie interference penalties for running Grubauer but Holtby appears to be fair game.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA

We are birds of a feather on this.
In the entire Ovi era we've gotten the short end of the stick in the running the goalie antics :madfire: Other teams seem comfy using this tactic.

I still recall some years ago, believe it was that cheap shot troll Kunitz, crosschecking Varly at/near the throat. No call.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We are birds of a feather on this.
In the entire Ovi era we've gotten the short end of the stick in the running the goalie antics :madfire: Other teams seem comfy using this tactic.

I still recall some years ago, believe it was that cheap shot troll Kunitz, crosschecking Varly at/near the throat. No call.

I think my grab of the cross check to the side of his head and neck is my GOAT hit generator. I remember Green playing with one shoulder trying to push Kunitz after the fact and nobody else doing a damn thing. Sure enough Varly soon broke down.... probably physically more than mentally, seeing how often he is injured now later in his career. You know why no one said anything, is because we won. George should have been showing the slow mo to all the local media the next morning.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

2718817256_5f9e91ee9c_z.jpg

After what happened to Price a few seasons ago, one would think they would really crack down on it, not just this series.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
After what happened to Price a few seasons ago, one would think they would really crack down on it, not just this series.

It's time. Not sure when Price got hit but the storming the goalie starts once a team gets desperate. You can see panic setting in slowly over a series, so the later games are good to key on as a coach to work the refs. Our series running holts was later in game 4. And there is no reason seen by CBus to stop so far. We need to cut that off at the pass.

So, now its probably time for Barry to casually mention it. If we win game 5, tell the ref before G6. Work it Barry!

Reactions: IafrateOvie34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad