Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #86: Caps @ Blooj | 4/19/18 | 7:30pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Very nice game. They badly outplayed Cbus and if it weren't for Bob, the score could have been much worse for them.

Really happy to see Ovie have an effective game. They are really going to need him going forward.

Holtby was very solid. The goalie whisperer does good work. :)

Best of three, now.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I see the usual suspects shitting on Vrana but he was dangerous when he was on the ice, he's just not given the chance.

They really do need to find a way to keep Vrana and Burakovsky in sweaters when they're healthy. I'd much rather keep the current lines and swap 65 for 10 then to put Vrana down for Burakovsky. To me, short of Dre being a little stronger on the puck, they're the same player and those are the kind of guys you need to have. I also think Dre and Eller could rekindle their dominate grind game again, something Connoly seriously lacks.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Very nice game. They badly outplayed Cbus and if it weren't for Bob, the score could have been much worse for them.

Really happy to see Ovie have an effective game. They are really going to need him going forward.

Holtby was very solid. The goalie whisperer does good work. :)

Best of three, now.
You only think Of has been effective in the 1 game?

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Imagine if Holtby was the starter since game 1 (like he should be). The series is at least 3-1 in Caps favor.

Nice game, nice win.:wave: Can we stay in Columbus for game 5 ??:biglaugh:

Ovi, 6 points in 4 games, 3 goals. :clap:A reminder for every Caps fans who wants to talk **** on Ovi

Like the Russians love to say, "Man said, man done" (a word-for-word translation). I'm talking about the Ovi comment after G2. The series is tied and G5 is in Washington.:cool:

Wilson with another goal, looooove it.
I think on that PP goal Kuzya has touched the puck and should get a point instead of Carlson
it should be : Ovi secondary assist, Kuzya assist and Oshie goal. (but who cares? still a goal for Caps)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Imagine if Holtby was the starter since game 1 (like he should be). The series is at least 3-1 in Caps favor.

Ovi, 6 points in 4 games, 3 goals. :clap:A reminder for every Caps fans who wants to talk **** on Ovi

Like the Russians love to say, "Man said, man done" (a word-for-word translation). I'm talking about the Ovi comment after G2. The series is tied and G5 is in Washington.:cool:

I think on that PP goal Kuzya has touched the puck and should get a point instead of Carlson
it should be : Ovi secondary assist, Kuzya assist and Oshie goal. (but who cares? still a goal for Caps)

I don't think the Holtby that is playing now would have been the Holtby we got if he played g1

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
I don't think the Holtby that is playing now would have been the Holtby we got if he played g1

Exactly. It was the right call to start Grubauer and I think the point it made gets in the locker room as well. Sure, Gruby blew his chance, but it’s the right message to send to the entire team. The players who earn the right to play will be played. Holtby had to keep focused and was probably chomping at the bit to get in there. He’s been dialed in so far and we’re gonna need him.

Also, I still think the bottom six should be fluid moving forward. Not game by game per se, but Trotz shouldn’t think that any specific combination is one-size-fits all. That’ll be even moreso the case when Bura returns. The entire team needs to stay on their toes and I think not having the bottom six set in stone helps accomplish that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
May I bring up the 2 minutes for being Tom Wilson for a bit? He full on blew that guy up clean. The national broadcast was using the St Louis Blues broadcast team and they both said WHOA when that happened. It was a significant play even if he got a penalty for hitting too hard

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Probably the best game they have played all year,

Credit where credit is due. Ovechkin said they would come back tied, he delivered tonight.

Trotz also deserves a lot of credit as well.

When Bura comes back, Chiasson sitsfor sure though.

I don't see Chiasson sitting. He's played well and there's no chance Barry is going with a 4th line of Vrana-Beagle-Burakovsky. Either Burakovsky or Vrana will be in the press box for the duration of this series barring injury or someone having a terrible game.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The biggest takeaway for me is that the Blue Jackets looked tired and out of answers. They succeeded in G1 and G2 through some amazing individual performances and subpar goaltending by Washington. If Washington can neutralize their top line and top pairing and eliminate / limit flukey goals then I like their chances. Encouragingly enough, the Caps last night looked like a veteran team that is battle tested and knew how they had to play in order to succeed in the post season. Please keep this up.

Oh, and Holtbeast is back. His movements look so smooth right now and he's not fighting the puck.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Had a quick peak at the CBJ post game chat. They are blaming fatigue? They were tired and the Caps aren't? They think that being tired now gets better with short rest for the next game after travel? I don't think I understand that thinking.

Oh and are also comments about how Torts was outcoached by Trotz and how Torts cant make in game/in series adjustments like Trotz does. So....this appears to be a common theme. Like if your team loses its because they didn't put in the effort. Your guys never just get beat

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I call bunk "our system" made Panarin disappear. What system. And good for Barry, if he is lying. Our system was woefully ineffective in games 1 and 2, if the system is the plan to contain him.

It will suck to lose Djoos on the next expansion looting. He has talent. I have no idea why CBus didn't target him for you know what, but I guess the days of doing that are gone in the PC era. That, or Barry deserves credit for slipping him into game 3, vs game 1 which traditionally used to ft. extreme hitting. That, or Anderson doesn't want to get suspended. I have to eat crow on my playoff phobia re: 168 pound NHL dman.

What did Kempney do that has everyone raving about his play, the invisible is good thing?

Tom Wilson continues to impress. It's like he was the only one that really tried to nail anyone. Hits looked very low on paper. Event Summary

Happy to hear Torts was short with reporters. That was what I have been waiting for, them to have internal strife and self destruct somewhat. Players are often reflections of their coaches.

Ovi had another failed breakaway. I wonder how many Messier Howe and Pepe had. :D

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I call bunk "our system" made Panarin disappear. What system. And good for Barry, if he is lying. Our system was woefully ineffective in games 1 and 2, if the system is the plan to contain him.

It will suck to lose Djoos on the next expansion looting. He has talent. I have no idea why CBus didn't target him for you know what, but I guess the days of doing that are gone in the PC era. That, or Barry deserves credit for slipping him into game 3, vs game 1 which traditionally used to ft. extreme hitting. That, or Anderson doesn't want to get suspended. I have to eat crow on my playoff phobia re: 168 pound NHL dman.

What did Kempney do that has everyone raving about his play, the invisible is good thing?

Tom Wilson continues to impress. It's like he was the only one that really tried to nail anyone. Hits looked very low on paper. Event Summary

Happy to hear Torts was short with reporters. That was what I have been waiting for, them to have internal strife and self destruct somewhat. Players are often reflections of their coaches.

Ovi had another failed breakaway. I wonder how many Messier Howe and Pepe had. :D
Kempny has been very good. Smart decisions with the puck, really good skater and able to use that to get the puck out of the zone effectively. Whatever problem pivoting he had a few weeks ago is gone, I thought he stayed in front of his man beautifully.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Had a quick peak at the CBJ post game chat. They are blaming fatigue? They were tired and the Caps aren't? They think that being tired now gets better with short rest for the next game after travel? I don't think I understand that thinking.

Oh and are also comments about how Torts was outcoached by Trotz and how Torts cant make in game/in series adjustments like Trotz does. So....this appears to be a common theme. Like if your team loses its because they didn't put in the effort. Your guys never just get beat

I think fatigue is a valid reason. Torts runs his top guys into the ground. I think I saw that the Bread-PLD-Atkinson lined played 30+ minutes in G2. Even w/ the game going to 2OT that's a lot. The Caps are able to roll 3 solid lines right now and they sprinkle in the 4th line here and there. In a series where 3 out of 4 games have gone to OT, that's bound to pay dividends. If the Caps can score first and jump on top of them again in G5 I think they'll win running away.

As for your 2nd comment, it appears Trotz is actually making adjustments. That's all anyone has been asking for for the past 3+ years.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
except they don't like the adjustments when they see them. funny also that Torts and the Columbus media seemed to be saying that they choked. Which I can see as well.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

I think if Holtby starts games 1 and 2 we would have swept this series.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Or, they might be right. Fans are not always automatically wrong.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->