Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #85: Caps @ Blooj | 4/17/18 | 7:30pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Now, what to do about Orlov. Has he been overall our worst defender?

He's been very bad at defense - which we don't need. On the other hand, he's been our best D at getting the puck out in an organized way that leads to a scoring chance and pushing the tempo - which we definitely do need. So, yeah, what to do?

He may just be an excitable boy and so is particularly prone to biting on Pannarin's first move. Perhaps some coaching is in order.

Reactions: RandyHolt

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
No joke, I think like him a lot. ;)

I understand your sentiments. You choosing not to go to games is completely understandable. But going and being a waste of space is such a waste. I don't really think most of the fans are disinterested because of all the losing anyways, at least the ones at the games. I think they are just nervous and expecting the worst which paralyzes them. This is why I hope that watching Columbus stand in OT might wake them up a bit.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I understand your sentiments. You choosing not to go to games is completely understandable. But going and being a waste of space is such a waste. I don't really think most of the fans are disinterested because of all the losing anyways, at least the ones at the games. I think they are just nervous and expecting the worst which paralyzes them. This is why I hope that watching Columbus stand in OT might wake them up a bit.

Fair enough. I do remember in 2009 and 2010 coming home and not being able to talk for a week because my voice so raw from screaming. Good times!!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
One memory, that 2 on 1 goal vs Carlson. Folks all over Carlson for not playing the pass.

He had to defend what was probably 3 or 4 perfect passes. I HATE 2 on 1s where the guy with the puck never passes. You gotta get the D moving or the D to lay down, fall down give him a chance to fall, make him do something. And something they did to poor Carlson there, desperately trying to stop those slick 2 on 1 passes at high speed. He got turned around every which way.

With Orlov sitting on the far blue, hoping.

Last edited:

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Except for Panaran just skated right by and then outmuscled Djoos. Only Holtby bailing him out saved him. I don't think Djoos needs to be playing. Orlov on the other hand. He needs to get it together. He has to play

I didn't think Djoos played that too terribly. Panarin is fast, had position on him, but Djoos did enough to allow HOltby to take away the short side knowing that Panarin wasn't going to be able to take it to the far side.
One memory, that 2 on 1 goal vs Carlson. Folks all over Carlson for not playing the pass.

He had to defend what was probably 3 or 4 perfect passes. I HATE 2 on 1s where the guy with the puck never passes. You gotta get the D moving or the D to lay down, fall down give make him do something. And something they did to poor Carlson there, desperately trying to stop those slick 2 on 1 passes at high speed.

I think Carlson assumed someone would be able to get back to take Panarin. When he realized they weren't going to be able to, he had to change position and turned his hips surrendering the possibility of playing it straight down the middle. I still would have liked to see a slide there at some point, if only to slow them enough to allow one of the back-checkers (Wilson was the only one trying) to get there.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carlson was never able to get square to the 2 on 1. Why he was shaded so heavily toward the player on his left isn't entirely clear from the video but once that happened he was in trouble

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Hopefully the Cap One fans watched last night and will remember how to be fans in OT. It was a crypt in there during OT for game 1 and 2.
I know the point you and others are making, although "crypt" and "church" are exaggeration for effect.

Lat's face it, Caps fans are jaded and won't get too excited or thrilled by close 1st round games. You could also say the Cbus fans should act like "they've been there before". Except have they had a 2-0 lead in a series? Uhh, no. Cbus playoff record: 2009 vs DRW 0-4; 2014 vs Pitt 2-4; 2017 vs Pitt 1-4.
The Caps are Habs of days gone by compared to that :laugh: That's why they kept chanting Holtby's name when it was 0-0, 1-1, and 2-2. Somehow they didn't when it became 3-2 Caps, and standing during much of the end of reg and OT.

So it was all new and exciting for Cbus fans. Compared to Caps fans they're newbies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Carlson was never able to get square to the 2 on 1. Why he was shaded so heavily toward the player on his left isn't entirely clear from the video but once that happened he was in trouble

Those passes had his head and hips spinning. They roughed him up. Probably just caught him leaning. That is literally all it takes. Like the famous Alzner Orpik breakaway last year. Orpik took one reverse crossover too many towards the boards and poof Alzner was waving the white flag.

I like to give credit when its due, that was an awesome 2 on 1. If that was Ovi and Nick vs any D, we'd be talking up what an awesome goal it was.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
so can the caps. at this point the momentum of the series is not switched, even if they had the lead 2-1... all the signs of the past failures are set up for another 1-2 round bounce.

goalies let in crucial goals
playing 50/50 hockey
to much ot
blowing leads

you can not sustain this type of play and go far... they need to change, they need wins where they can coast into the finish in 60 min of hockey now.
i remember when the caps played the flyers in round 1 a couple of years ago and for some reason the hope rose in first games back then, the caps followed with garbage hockey showed the true colors and let the untalented flyers drag them again to a game 7... they won it but it was the same choking art they doing right now.

Revisionist history, much? The Caps won the series in 6.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
I've been avoiding the boards because it's the playoffs...

Do we all generally agree that Orpik is generally useless? And to a lesser extent Oshie?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

He had to defend what was probably 3 or 4 perfect passes. I HATE 2 on 1s where the guy with the puck never passes. You gotta get the D moving or the D to lay down, fall down give him a chance to fall, make him do something. And something they did to poor Carlson there, desperately trying to stop those slick 2 on 1 passes at high speed. He got turned around every which way.

Ya I'm not blaming Carlson for that. There was so many quick passes they had Carlson spinning in circles.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
My RSTOI dropped by about 50% this year.
So did mine.

It sure is much nicer to wake up dead tired after an OT win vs loss, that is for DAMN sure.
<snip>
Of course.
I'm of the view expressed by others that if I'm in the arena, I'm going to cheer them on and stay to the bitter end. Very much so during an OT.

I almost always stay for the entire game (ex last few minutes) in a reg season blowout loss, scarce that those are. What I paid for the tic isn't much of a factor. I made the effort to get there and I'm there for the duration ! :D

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Except for Panaran just skated right by and then outmuscled Djoos. Only Holtby bailing him out saved him. I don't think Djoos needs to be playing. Orlov on the other hand. He needs to get it together. He has to play

I'd like to see Djoos play a forward next year. He's just too small at the end of the day to really "defend" anyone.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
They said the same thing about a certain Nate Schmidt...

Djoos looks even smaller. That is one dainty hockey player right there! But really its because Caps have D prospects but not really any forwards. He'll have far less competition. How does a player feel about something like this anyway? Is it interesting or will he take it as a diss?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Djoos looks even smaller. That is one dainty hockey player right there! But really its because Caps have D prospects but not really any forwards. He'll have far less competition. How does a player feel about something like this anyway? Is it interesting or will he take it as a diss?

I doubt he would succeed at forward. I look at his skill set, and almost all of it corresponds to a D's skill set. He rushes puck from the back end really well, he is good at getting shots through traffic, he excels at finding open sticks down low and he's really good at outlet passes too.

Dude just needs to put on muscle big time. In that regard, he really benefits from playing with a guy like Orpik. One has the muscles, the other has the legs and the puck skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->