GDT: Preseason Game 7: WINGS vs blues 7:00 pm et (NBCSN)

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I'm really curious how we transition our young D into the lineup, over the course of the year and into next year. We're going to have a lot of holes to fill, next year, especially if Bowey and Nemeth don't pan out.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I said it last year, and i'll say it again. Cholowski is one of my favorite players, because I think his greatest strength is/will be scoring suppression.

That opinion seems to be at complete odds with his plus/minus, the opinion of the head coach, fans and media.

Nevertheless, I feel that the overall tape corroborates my viewpoint.

He might score 30, 50 or 80 a year, but what I'm most sure of is that he has great instincts for breaking up plays, great instincts for giving his goalie the right opportunities and a relentless interest in surveying and turning the tide on a 5 v 5 basis.

Bowey has been amazing in the d zone so far. So I don't mean to doubt the same people that helped that transformation. I would love for Cholowski to chop down his gaps and be as active in the zone as Bowey has been.

But the narrative always gets transformed into Cholowski being this offense first player that needs to change his game, and I think that that couldnt be further from the truth.

He is by nature the fifth guy up ice and a goalies best friend, but it just so happens that at this point in our teams development, Cholowskis transition offense has been highlighted in comparison.

This was a big game for him. I thought 65,17,22 were legitimately a cut above for this year. But Bowey and Cholowski have looked equally as competent/effective so far this preseason.

I'm hoping this game leads to a competive end to the preseason, and possibly a creative solution from the org to accomodate the heart and maturity Ras,Svech,Cholo,etc have shown.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I said it last year, and i'll say it again. Cholowski is one of my favorite players, because I think his greatest strength is/will be scoring suppression.

That opinion seems to be at complete odds with his plus/minus, the opinion of the head coach, fans and media.

Nevertheless, I feel that the overall tape corroborates my viewpoint.

He might score 30, 50 or 80 a year, but what I'm most sure of is that he has great instincts for breaking up plays, great instincts for giving his goalie the right opportunities and a relentless interest in surveying and turning the tide on a 5 v 5 basis.

Bowey has been amazing in the d zone so far. So I don't mean to doubt the same people that helped that transformation. I would love for Cholowski to chop down his gaps and be as active in the zone as Bowey has been.

But the narrative always gets transformed into Cholowski being this offense first player that needs to change his game, and I think that that couldnt be further from the truth.

He is by nature the fifth guy up ice and a goalies best friend, but it just so happens that at this point in our teams development, Cholowskis transition offense has been highlighted in comparison.

This was a big game for him. I thought 65,17,22 were legitimately a cut above for this year. But Bowey and Cholowski have looked equally as competent/effective so far this preseason.

I'm hoping this game leads to a competive end to the preseason, and possibly a creative solution from the org to accomodate the heart and maturity Ras,Svech,Cholo,etc have shown.
His defensive stats were bad, but watching him play I don't see a bad defensive player. I see a good young defenseman that just needs to round a few things out to put it all together.
(In contrast, I don't see a "good player that needs to round out a few things". I see a guy that's not very good)

One thing that I don't think anyone else mentioned, on Rasmussen's first goal, Larkin, Bert, and Ras broke out on a 3 on 1. I didn't recognize Ras at first, and I was thinking to myself "Who is this keeping up with Larkin? Veleno? I guess he does have a lot of speed"... Well, it was Ras and the big guy does have some good straight line speed (it would be nice to see that more with the puck on his stick)

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Cool to see Mantha take a pretty noticeable step forward this year. I definitely expected him to have his best season yet regardless, but by the looks of it, he's gonna go above and beyond. He is looking much faster, stronger, and engaged out there. Dominating smaller bodies like he always should have been able to do.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm really curious how we transition our young D into the lineup, over the course of the year and into next year. We're going to have a lot of holes to fill, next year, especially if Bowey and Nemeth don't pan out.

So far it looks pretty good. Bowey has been looking good, Seider is very promising, and Hronek looks good. Kaski is nice depth if we lose somebody in expansion draft.

Cholowski and McIsaac should be great left-side defencemen, with still solid duo of DeKeyser and Nemeth there. We can lose one of the veterans at some point.

Like, in a year our defence could be this young:

LD DeKeyser, 30
LD Nemeth, 28
LD Cholowski, 22
LD McIsaac, 20

RD Bowey, 25
RD Kaski, 25
RD Hronek, 22
RD Seider, 19

That's a solid core to build around. We just need those kids to grow. Everybody is still looking to our dinosaurs (Green, Daley, Ericsson) and bashing about them. But in a year, they are gone.

Reactions: golffuul

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
was shocked all off season how many fans forgot about choski great first half last season . and somebody that size and as good of a skater shall improve his defense with experience . got him penciled into top 4 long term with sides and hronek . and mcissac makes 4 .
Same. Everyone forgot how he pretty much dominated preseason last year and forced his way onto the team, and then was a major bright spot for 20-30 games before tailing off. It looked obvious his problem last season was getting worn out physically/mentally, which shouldn't stop him from making the team this year and be more prepared.

Hockeyville19Calumet

May 14, 2019
Mohawk MI
I started playing hockey in 1972. We played a lot in the old Airport hanger in Laurium. Every once in a while as a Mite we would play at Armory (that's what it called back then) and it was like walking into an NHL rink to us. To see that display all week long brought tears to my eyes several times. Every player, coach and manager took time to meet the locals. The kids had an experience of a life time. This small community is without a doubt HOCKEYVILLE. Thanks to Betsy and all of the folks involved in making this event UNBELIEVABLE. To Roenick, Maltby and Miller who were there before the teams, total class acts. They just made you feel so good when they talked with you. JR was part of a gathering that raised $17k for the arena. He bid and won a day of side by side riding from a local ATV shop, I bet he comes back up and uses it. And the last thing there wasn't a person kneeling during the national anthem. Way to go Copper Country!!! Way to Red Wings, Blues, the NHL and the NHLPA you made a lot of dreams come true.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Looking at the highlights Bowey seems to be out of position a few times, or just plain getting beat.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
So far it looks pretty good. Bowey has been looking good, Seider is very promising, and Hronek looks good. Kaski is nice depth if we lose somebody in expansion draft.

Cholowski and McIsaac should be great left-side defencemen, with still solid duo of DeKeyser and Nemeth there. We can lose one of the veterans at some point.

Like, in a year our defence could be this young:

LD DeKeyser, 30
LD Nemeth, 28
LD Cholowski, 22
LD McIsaac, 20

RD Bowey, 25
RD Kaski, 25
RD Hronek, 22
RD Seider, 19

That's a solid core to build around. We just need those kids to grow. Everybody is still looking to our dinosaurs (Green, Daley, Ericsson) and bashing about them. But in a year, they are gone.
At this point the only D-man we have to protect, other than DeKeyser because of his NTC, is Hronek, IIRC, and possibly Cholo. McIsaac and Seider are protected. So we are pretty set for the expansion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->