GDT: Preseason Game 5: Blue Jackets @ Sabres - 7:00pm EDT

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Saw chunks of the 1st period and all of the 3rd period. Didn't look great. I think their last two games have been their worst performances. Not the direction I'd like to see with the season one week away.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Saw chunks of the 1st period and all of the 3rd period. Didn't look great. I think their last two games have been their worst performances. Not the direction I'd like to see with the season one week away.

I’m in disagreement. Significantly better than Saturday, our top line dominated, a lot of veterans showed well, a lot of rookies made errors, and probably most importantly, the undersized ice surface gave the veteran grinder team a noticable advantage in taking away time and space.

Reactions: kummelweck

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Their offensive zone coaching still sucks. Past individual efforts, this team’s objective appears to be a point shot into some shin pads, maybe a crowd in front of the net.

We also have laughably few data points on potential line combinations.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I’m in disagreement. Significantly better than Saturday, our top line dominated, a lot of veterans showed well, a lot of rookies made errors, and probably most importantly, the undersized ice surface gave the veteran grinder team a noticable advantage in taking away time and space.
The Eichel line has produced one ES goal in 3 games. While they’ve been unlucky in terms of shooting%, they haven’t exactly scored at the rate required to justify keeping all the best offensive players together.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
We have literally never seen Reinhart play 2C in the NHL.
On the spittin chiclets podcast Eichel brought up how Sam had not played center for a couple years and how it really got into Sam's head. He also said how Sam preferred to play wing. Do you want first half Sam again or second half Samson?

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The Eichel line has produced one ES goal in 3 games. While they’ve been unlucky in terms of shooting%, they haven’t exactly scored at the rate required to justify keeping all the best offensive players together.

If Sheary returns, id love to see him replace Skinner. I personally don’t want to see eichel and Reinhart split at all this season.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The game was pretty even 5 on 5 mostly due to Eichel's line dominating. The PK, how ever, was dreadful, and the youngsters made some critical errors.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Of course they are. The preseason is garbage, you think these guys are out there putting their body on the line in the preseason? Sure, maybe some of the bubble roster guys are, but for the most part, these guys are just getting the cobwebs out. Jumping to conclusions in the preseason is idiotic. I will save mine for the first quarter of the season.

True. This is a veteran team coming back from a playoff run that just needs to loosen up before the season starts...

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I rather have Eichel with Reinhart than with Skinner if they split them up.
If Housley doesn't use the obvious chemistry I don't know what.
Dahlin played well yesterday.
Mitts looked better.
Borgen was steady and McCabe looked good.
I get the historic rink stuff but in preparation for the season it was not very suitable to play on such small ice.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The game was pretty even 5 on 5 mostly due to Eichel's line dominating. The PK, how ever, was dreadful, and the youngsters made some critical errors.
The PK failed them, but it wasn't dreadful. I thought it was decent with a few catastrophic episodes. But when do you want to evaluate players in different roles?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->