GDT: Preseason game #4 NJ Devils @ NY Isles Sept 20 7PM | W 2-0

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Overall I thought this game was a big nothingburger. A few takeaways from tonight:

I thought Thomas Greiss generally looked ok. He wasn’t fighting the puck, angle play was good, stayed on his feet. Except during a little of the penalty we killed towards the end of the 2nd period he never seemed flustered.

Brian Bellows certainly is making his case for sticking arounf on October 4th

Scott Eansor had a fairly invisible night. It was my first time seeing him this camp and was hiping for a little more.

Devon Toews is so smooth out there.

Steve Bernier does everything right except put the puck in the net. It’s an old story with him. He is what he is.
A few more observations from last night:

I thought Johnny Boychuk skated better than he did on Tuesday night. Good sign.

Brock Nelson seemed engaged on defense. Offensively, well he just needs someone to get him the puck. Put him back on the wing. Better yet, look to trade him.

I got a kick seeing Lou Lamoriello, Jacques Lemaire, Mitch Korn, and David Conte all sitting in the same suite behind Sec 125. That’s a lot of hockey knowledge in one room.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
So gross watching Nelson play hockey...he's absolutely terrible and the weakest link on this roster. Give me:

Beau - Barzy - Eberle
Lee - Bailey - Bellows
Nelson/Ladd - Kovar - Komarov
Martin - CC - CC

Boychuk - Leddy
Hickey - Pulock
Toews - Sbisa

Mayfield and Pelech suck...Sbisa is better than both of them. Toews and Bellows need to make this roster to give us any shot at doing anything. If Ho Sang actually steps up put him in over both Ladd and Nelson and have a Ho Sang - Kovar - Komarov 3rd line. Let Nelson ride the bench, put Ladd on LTIR.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
A few more observations from last night:

I thought Johnny Boychuk skated better than he did on Tuesday night. Good sign.

Brock Nelson seemed engaged on defense. Offensively, well he just needs someone to get him the puck. Put him back on the wing. Better yet, look to trade him.

I got a kick seeing Lou Lamoriello, Jacques Lemaire, Mitch Korn, and David Conte all sitting in the same suite behind Sec 125. That’s a lot of hockey knowledge in one room.

At this point, what do we trade him for? 3rd round pick?

We have such a glut of roster-able players that I'm at the point that I'll move him just to open up a spot. I can't really see the scenario where he is here next season. Most likely - he has the same middling season he's had for the past 4 years. See ya. Also possible - his play drops and produces less. Buh-bye. Least likely - he puts it all together, scores 25+ goals/50+ points and becomes real valuable. I doubt the Isles will pony up for him in that instance as he's going to want big $$$$.

So might as well move him for a bag of pucks if we can. Probably can't though.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
At this point, what do we trade him for? 3rd round pick?

We have such a glut of roster-able players that I'm at the point that I'll move him just to open up a spot. I can't really see the scenario where he is here next season. Most likely - he has the same middling season he's had for the past 4 years. See ya. Also possible - his play drops and produces less. Buh-bye. Least likely - he puts it all together, scores 25+ goals/50+ points and becomes real valuable. I doubt the Isles will pony up for him in that instance as he's going to want big $$$$.

So might as well move him for a bag of pucks if we can. Probably can't though.
I think you have to entertain the thought. He’s a UFA after this season and if he puts up another year like last year I couldn’t imagine signing him to a long term deal. Hopefully some team will see his 25 goal capability and take a flier on him.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
After the play where he whacked the stick out of Martin's hand to cost his team a PP if Hynes had pulled him off the ice and cut him on the spot nobody could've complained. That was seriously one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Years ago a player would hold his stick tighter .This used to be just another hockey play that happened dozens of times a game . Martin is such a wuss. The refs are wusses too. I can't wait for the first staged Martin fight with 3 punches to the helmet followed by a tap ,a nod,and a smile. He was better when he had to earn it . Still think he is a great guy though.

"Your a real jerk. You wasted 8 fn aprons on that guy . What's wrong with you? I gotta toughen this kid up."

LGI

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
With Nelson, I’m not sure if they’re trying to convince us that he is a center, or convince themselves that he’s not.

LOL exactly......

I don't think anyone would be that surprised if Nelson just straight retired from hockey after this season. He's never seemed to have that much passion for the game.

Reactions: eoin92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad