GDT: Preseason Game 4 at Pittsburgh 3:00 PM

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Let me re-phrase it this way: his draft-year goal scoring suggests that you should not expect him to score a lot of goals at the NHL level (which further suggests he will end up further down the lineup at the NHL level). Your comparison is telling me his goal production stacks up favorably with other first-round picks with limited offensive upside. None of those guys are touted as being gifted offensive players or sure-fire top-six forwards. Perhaps it is all just a matter of perception though.

Veleno isn’t going to be a goal scorer, he’s a playmaker. Just because he probably won’t put up 20+ goals regularly doesn’t me he is a 3rd liner, would you say a 10g 70a guy is a 3rd liner? Not saying he’s doing that, but he’s on pace to being a 2nd liner for sure and I think his skill set can be even further than that.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Veleno isn’t going to be a goal scorer, he’s a playmaker. Just because he probably won’t put up 20+ goals regularly doesn’t me he is a 3rd liner, would you say a 10g 70a guy is a 3rd liner? Not saying he’s doing that, but he’s on pace to being a 2nd liner for sure and I think his skill set can be even further than that.

Please let me know where I can find forwards that put up 10 goals and 70 assists in the NHL. Call me old fashion, but playmaker or not, good offensive players don't struggle to score goals in the Q.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Please let me know where I can find forwards that put up 10 goals and 70 assists in the NHL. Call me old fashion, but playmaker or not, good offensive players don't struggle to score goals in the Q.

He was using an exaggerated example so people could understand his point better. Alas, it doesn't seem to have worked.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I’ve thought Cholowski has looked the best and he looks NHL ready for 2PP and 2PK time, that’s close to 20 minutes a night if not 20. I think Cholowski surprises a lot of people around the NHL like Parayko did a couple years back. Also Jensen was 26 if I remember correctly when he made the NHL even though I don’t think he’s a NHL caliber dman.

I guess you were wowed by his offense and skating, which were good, but his decision making, first passes, and gap control were all sub par. None of them were NHL ready and all of those things, against actual NHL players in NHL games will lead to him getting burned. He needs to be in the AHL this season learning how to play defense.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He was using an exaggerated example so people could understand his point better. Alas, it doesn't seem to have worked.

Cool, maybe I will use unicorns next year to handicap the Kentucky Derby. I stand by my point that the kid has plenty of capacity to improve his offensive game (specifically goal scoring) and that another year in the Q won't hurt him at all or his ability to compete for a roster spot out of camp next year.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Not even those two approach a 10g 70a spread.

He certainly has the potential to be an elite playmaker and if he turns out to be that good, he'll be placed in positions and given the time on the ice where 20 or so goals would be hard for him not to score. More importantly, he'd be dishing out the puck to guys who have a much better finishing ability. Thats ofcourse a big if but the potential is there for a Marc Savard type guy.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
He certainly has the potential to be an elite playmaker and if he turns out to be that good, he'll be placed in positions and given the time on the ice where 20 or so goals would be hard for him not to score. More importantly, he'd be dishing out the puck to guys who have a much better finishing ability. Thats ofcourse a big if but the potential is there for a Marc Savard type guy.

Based on this logic, shouldn't he have scored more than 22 goals last year?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Henrik Sedin has a 10g/71a season if you are looking for an actual example.

You win Frk It! That is a crazy spread. You need to be in on a lot of offensive plays to generate 80 pts. I thought for sure he would have potted more than 10 without really trying. I would obviously love for Veleno to put up 80 pts in any fashion. I am just not expecting it to happen at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You win Frk It! That is a crazy spread. You need to be in on a lot of offensive plays to generate 80 pts. I thought for sure he would have potted more than 10 without really trying. I would obviously love for Veleno to put up 80 pts in any fashion. I am just not expecting it to happen at this point.

Maybe if he has a twin with an uncanny ability to finish his passes running around we don’t know about... :)

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Based on this logic, shouldn't he have scored more than 22 goals last year?

He is a pass first guy so no, not necessarily. Nor are we necessarily talking some brilliant drives to the net. Bounces, empty netters, luck... The overall point though, he certainly has offensive ability and plenty of players made their buck on that ability. It does tend to be rare to be an elite passer but not much for goal scoring but that is certainly what his potential seems to be. Certainly not that of a goal scorer but plenty of players make a living off of their passing ability.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He is a pass first guy so no, not necessarily. Nor are we necessarily talking some brilliant drives to the net. Bounces, empty netters, luck... The overall point though, he certainly has offensive ability and plenty of players made their buck on that ability. It does tend to be rare to be an elite passer but not much for goal scoring but that is certainly what his potential seems to be. Certainly not that of a goal scorer but plenty of players make a living off of their passing ability.

He looks like a "poor man's McDavid" in every aspect of his game. Assist maestro, easy neutral zone entries to offensive zone with fast skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad