Post-Game Talk: Preseason Game #2 - Toronto at Ottawa, Sept 18th -- 19:30 TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I thought everyone played well ...the Matthews line and Rielly stood out as the elite, the new Russian kid got better every shift, Ceci looked pretty decent as i thought he would, never listen to people on this board lol

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Its not baseless, though. There is a strong pattern where larger defensmen tend to take longer to develop.

If you want a comparable, Robert Bortuzzo is a great example. Everything Harpur has done at this stage of his career has been more impressive than Bortuzzo. Edmundson is another good examples. These guys don't start getting half decent until they're about 25 years old.

After reading your last statement, I'm confused now. Its sounds like you agree with my stance. I'm saying he's a good #6 option, and stated that he's going to get the Zach Hyman treatment... thats it.

Not really. Bortuzzo, Edmunson, etc had the good foundation (I.e decent puck skills, size, speed). Harpur only has size and can use it well. But he's very slow and can't move the puck at all.

He's not a good #6 option at all.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
27+ minutes for Reilly in his first exhibition game....WHY????:help:
Leafs wanted to win, lots of specialties minutes, the new coach wants to see what he has in Rielly/Ceci, they both played 27 minutes, probably trying to give those two as much time together as possible to gell before the season starts IMO

There is always a reason if you look for it

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Remember big guys usually look slow. Chara doesn't look fast. Harpur looked fine once he got skating. Very slow pivots and first step though. Decent puck skill.

But you can't teach 6'6" reach. If he learns to use his other attributes to his advantage he can play on our bottom pairing IMO.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Not really. Bortuzzo, Edmunson, etc had the good foundation (I.e decent puck skills, size, speed). Harpur only has size and can use it well. But he's very slow and can't move the puck at all.

I thought he showed many positive attributes last night. His ability to move the puck was fine, he didn't just dump it off the boards, he even had several moments where he carried the puck into the offensive zone and even jumped deeper into the zone. He's not flashy but I can't recall a single mistake with the puck on his stick. Kind of like Gauthier in the sense that if he gets into a puck battle he comes away with it and makes smart safe plays. I think he'll make life miserable for opponents on the PK, he plays mean.

His competition is Marincin, Schmaltz, Gravel and Holl. None of them deserve it more. I think he made the obvious decision pretty easy with his game last night. Babs confirmed it post game.

Reactions: MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Harpur has better offensive seasons than both Edmundson and Bortuzzo in junior and in the AHL.

Harpur has better hands and is as mobile As those guys..

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
27+ minutes for Reilly in his first exhibition game....WHY????:help:

Leafs wanted to win, lots of specialties minutes, the new coach wants to see what he has in Rielly/Ceci, they both played 27 minutes, probably trying to give those two as much time together as possible to gell before the season starts IMO

There is always a reason if you look for it

100%

It's not like he'll play every pre season game either. He's probably only got 2 to 3 more of the remaining 6, might as well get him some work before the real season starts. I see no issue here.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I thought he showed many positive attributes last night. His ability to move the puck was fine, he didn't just dump it off the boards, he even had several moments where he carried the puck into the offensive zone and even jumped deeper into the zone. He's not flashy but I can't recall a single mistake with the puck on his stick. Kind of like Gauthier in the sense that if he gets into a puck battle he comes away with it and makes smart safe plays. I think he'll make life miserable for opponents on the PK, he plays mean.

His competition is Marincin, Schmaltz, Gravel and Holl. None of them deserve it more. I think he made the obvious decision pretty easy with his game last night. Babs confirmed it post game.

Schmaltz looked good in the first game

He's the best player for the right side out of all those guys you listed imo

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
...and price him off the team the following season.

Brown scored twenty goals his first season. He got 2mil which is eminently affordable for a top 9 player on the squad. the reason he got moved is because he was no longer a top nine player on this team.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Early feels from camp and pre-season.

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Kapanen - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Bracco - Heavily sheltered 3rd scoring line.
Agostino - Gauthier - Moore - Intangibles line, all PK'ers.
ex. Spezza - Can fill in at center or wing and be a veteran voice in the black ace role.

Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Harpur - Sandin

Andersen
Hutchinson

Schmaltz the top call up on D, Liljegren #2. Camp decides whether Aberg or Shore are first in line at forward if they clear waivers, Marchment could over take them early into the season. When Hyman comes back he can replace the worst performer between Bracco and Mikheyev on 3rd line wing. Mikheyev has more skill than I thought he would, but his compete level, defensive game and physical game didn't translate in night #1. For that reason I think the 3rd line is a little weak defensively and physically and should be used at the right times until Hyman returns to add to the lines weaknesses. Dermott replaces Sandin when he comes back.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Harpur has better offensive seasons than both Edmundson and Bortuzzo in junior and in the AHL.

Harpur has better hands and is as mobile As those guys..

Dude ... Ask the Ottawa guys who've watched him ... He can't handle the puck at a NHL level and is NOT mobile at all. They literally called him a pylon whenever he played lol. If you watch Edmunson and Bortuzzo, those guys can skate for big D-men. Edmunson should not be playing as high as he has, but they're both fine as bottom pairing D-men.

Harpur's speed and first-step are terrible, but his lateral movement is incredibly bad.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Dude ... Ask the Ottawa guys who've watched him ... He can't handle the puck at a NHL level and is NOT mobile at all. They literally called him a pylon whenever he played lol. If you watch Edmunson and Bortuzzo, those guys can skate for big D-men. Edmunson should not be playing as high as he has, but they're both fine as bottom pairing D-men.

Harpur's speed and first-step are terrible, but his lateral movement is incredibly bad.

Dude, I work in Ottawa and none of my sens fan colleagues talk shit about Harpur at all. All thought he was a good 3rd pairing guy.

You’re just making shit up now.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Harpur's name keeps coming up. I think there are pre-concieved views here, and a point of contention in philosophies.

Welcome to Toronto and buckle up.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Harpur's name keeps coming up. I think there are pre-concieved views here, and a point of contention in philosophies.

Welcome to Toronto and buckle up.
He finna kick in some rear ends and hard at that sire. Harpur has the sezise, the bigs, the guns and the toughness. He that hard. He will shakesphere thangs and suckas up so hard they won't even remember it was yesterday. Harpur will be our robocop, our predator and john rambo in the same blood. He will kick in doors and rob mothas so blind they can't even understand. But its life so it'll be aaight. Harpur was one of the most surprising sucka moves we did during summer and dubas will lift his persona up to the hilt. Statues is what I'm talkin bout mayne.

Reactions: Jeypic

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Dude, I work in Ottawa and none of my sens fan colleagues talk **** about Harpur at all. All thought he was a good 3rd pairing guy.

You’re just making **** up now.

This isn't Ottawa man ... Their 3rd pairing standards aren't Leafs standards.

That being said, search up 'Harpur slow' on Twitter. Have fun reading Sens fans hate on his slowness lol.

Ben Harpur a.k.a Jarden Cowen 2.0

In all seriousness, I do hope he becomes a clutch defender. But at this point of time, he's not even close.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
He finna kick in some rear ends and hard at that sire. Harpur has the sezise, the bigs, the guns and the toughness. He that hard. He will shakesphere thangs and suckas up so hard they won't even remember it was yesterday. Harpur will be our robocop, our predator and john rambo in the same blood. He will kick in doors and rob mothas so blind they can't even understand. But its life so it'll be aaight. Harpur was one of the most surprising sucka moves we did during summer and dubas will lift his persona up to the hilt. Statues is what I'm talkin bout mayne.

Poetry

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I thought so too.

If Sandin/Lilijegren aren't ready or don't win the spots, I'd like to see Kivi - Schmaltz as the 3rd pairing.

I would to

If there going to be getting sheltered usage on the third pair I'd be looking for guys that can move the puck and kill those minutes rather than guys who are just going to exist and do nothing positive

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Opinions on Kivihalme?

Struggled in the first period, looked really promising in the 2nd and 3rd

He's a strong skater and can skate or pass the puck out of his own zone and he's got good offensive instincts when the pucks in the offensive end, a good heavy shot and jumps up into the rush

Babcock seemed to use him quite a bit as the team was trying to tie up the game in the 3rd period as well, really promising start

Reactions: ITM and Jeypic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad