Post-Game Talk: Preseason G6 - BRUINS 8 Rockford 2 - Now on to Dallas and that one counts

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Agreed

8 to 2 games in the pre season with no fights? Going to be a snooze fest of a regular season in the NHL.

Wake me up when it’s the playoffs.

It’s pretty awful. The preseason product was worse than ever.

I looked on stubhub for devils bruins tickets here in nj in November and lower bowl is 47 bucks. They were 80 this time last year. Crazy

Reactions: Morris Wanchuk

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Concussion lawsuits caused the league to go to gross levels to prevent fighting. It sucks.

Funny thing is i am enjoying college hockey more than the pros now. No fighting there either but it’s just more entertaining than regular season NHL. Maybe it’s the lack of systems and more mistakes?

As a former STH I don’t know iF I could go to more that a few games now. Just so many snooze fests. The drop off in intensity from 2011 is something I didn’t know was possible. Can’t imagine what it was like for those of you who watched hockey in the 1970s and 80s.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Hmmmm...can you pm me Danton Coyle ;)
I guess I will share with everybody :laugh:

xUOwGebPearJp3Qh6o.gif

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Did they charge full price for a scrimmage against an AHL team?

If so, then they should sit back and than the fans who did show up for being there, rather than complaining about the wave.
I would bet many of the"fans" who were there did not pay full price.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
No one got hurt so it is a win. There were more "pink hats" at the Garden today than I have ever seen. Doing the wave at a hockey game is pathetic IMO. A couple of the guys who work for the B's felt the same..

I don't want Marchy fighting but I believe there was a slew foot involved so I get it.

OK on to the real season !!!
Why is people having fun doing the wave pathetic... just to understand... isn’t hockey entertainement!

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Concussion lawsuits caused the league to go to gross levels to prevent fighting. It sucks.

I like a good hockey fight as much as the next person but it has to be said that they do look increasingly anachronistic and out of place. No other team sport anywhere in the world any longer permits fights without significant punishment of those involved, even of the ritualistic sort seen in the modern NHL. Scuffles and some pushing and shoving sure, but throwing punches is out.

With all that we now know about concussions and head injuries, the idea of permitting guys to try and land shots on their opponent's head, even with helmets on and within the strict 'fighting rules' we have, is increasingly untenable for any league governing body. For better or worse fights are on the way out - 10 years ago there were over 700 a season, now it's down to around 250. I don't think they'll disappear altogether any time soon, but they'll be a rare sight only triggered but something really significant.

The game itself was pretty meh. No-one got hurt, Bergy skated well, and DeBrusk in particular looked pretty sharp, so it served its purpose as a harmless practice. Kuhlman did enough to almost certainly lock down a starting spot, whether that's on the 2nd or 3rd line. Bjork was a little quiet, and while if he does indeed start in Providence as Cassidy suggested I think that'll be unfair, it's not that big a deal - if he starts well there he'll be back up with the Bs soon enough getting his chance.

I'm guessing Kuhlman, Backes and Lindholm will get the 'up for grabs' spots on each line, assuming that Nordy isn't ready for game 1, but who goes where I'm not sure. Ritchie can serve as the 13th/14th forward and hopefully nothing more than that.

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Anyone else have an issue with YouTubeTV not recording this game properly? Mine was set to do so, but didn't.

I think a replay is on later and will try to catch that.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I watched on the NESN Go app from the bar and this guy asked me why I was watching preseason Bruins games and I said flat out because I am.

Definitely think a lot of people have the too soon-itis.

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

Jonathan17

Trollface!
Nov 19, 2005
Oakville
Welcome to Boston, Ritchie!

Bye, Bjork!

Send the others who had little chance to make the final roster to Providence, and we’re ready for the regular season.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
One more inquiry after watching today’s game in person.

What exactly is it that I’m supposed to be seeing from Brett Ritchie? We are getting the Chris Kelly-like running advertisement for him every game from Jack and Brick but I just don’t see it.

Today was not at all a physical game and yet there were many, many players playing far more physical than Ritchie.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Seems like something only old farts would object to because it’s simply not “traditional” within hockey rinks.

It only seems to happen at games which are well in hand and the crowd is overall in a very good mood. Maybe I’d feel different about it if fans were starting it in a 2-2 3rd period game, but that’s never how it goes.
Very judgmental statement.

Reactions: BMC and Spooner st

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
A week ago we fielded a team in Chicago that had only Carlo, Gryz, Kuhlman and McAvoy from amongst our regular 19 starters, plus Lindholm, Bjork, Cehlarik, Frederic, Gaunce and Kampfer who have at least some NHL experience. That squad went up against a pretty strong Blackhawks unit that had the likes of Kane, Toews, Strome, DeBrincat, Saad, Gustafsson and Murphy, and only lost 3-2 in OT, having been competitive for the entire game.

Now it isn't like for like as the Bruins were stronger in this latest game than the Hawks were last week, and the Rockford team was even less experienced than what the Bs had on the ice back in Chicago, but I think it still makes the point that the Bs prospects and depth are pretty good and if there actually was a game of Providence vs a full Blackhawks team then on most nights the Hawks wouldn't be winning by 6 goals (which could easily have been more last night). Sure they'd win, but I don't think it would be a complete blowout.

So as the pre-season closes and we move on to the real stuff with pretty much the same squad as last season and no new youngsters yet quite jumping up and snatching a spot (although if Bjork does indeed miss he'll have every right to feel hard done by), I think we can still be fairly content that we've seen good development from the likes of Bjork, Studnicka, Steen, Vaak, Lauko, Keyser, Lauzon and others, and they'll continue to progress down in Providence, and, even if they're not quite NHL ready now, the majority of them sooner or later will be.

No question, they're not top 5 prospects ranked against the rest of the league - that just wouldn't be possible with the Bs having been at the pointy end of the table for most of the last decade - but they're not 29th or wherever most of the 'experts' have placed them in the last few weeks either. They're probably somewhere in the middle, and that will do in the circumstances.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Well, that answers my question of what is the difference between an NHL squad and an AHL squad. Team looked like they were playing pond hockey intensity out there after the first, and still kept putting the puck in the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad