GDT: Preseason - Devils vs. Rangers - 7PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
No reason to shelter Butcher this year. Not overwork him, but increase his minutes.
Exactly. Bump up his even strength minutes a bit and get him used to a tougher assignment than last season. People often have a very rigid view of defensive pairing as if it's EA NHL with set lines, but it works far more with just shifting minutes around a bit.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Bratt is so good at zone entries, really underrated area of the game that he excels in.
Even when he was struggling last season, he could still usually be counted on for exits and entries.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not a great shift.

Devils top player are dogging it so bad. And I'm totally ok with it, but it's kinda funny.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Bratt on the second line with Zacha and Johansson makes some sense to start the season. Keep him away from the tough assignments Hall and Hischier will get all season

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Smith's weakness exposed on that shift. I'm loving 95% of what he's doing, but work down low and in the corners is going to be tough.
The question really is, can he bring enough positive to cover up his weaknesses right now? If not, he shouldn't be on the team.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Exactly. Bump up his even strength minutes a bit and get him used to a tougher assignment than last season. People often have a very rigid view of defensive pairing as if it's EA NHL with set lines, but it works far more with just shifting minutes around a bit.

When NJ plays TOR there have to be two capable pairings to play against their top two lines. I’m not sure if Butcher is ready to defend players of that caliber in the defensive zone yet. Hopefully he is since that would make a big difference in how NJ plays defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad