GDT: Preseason BOA 7:00MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Did Phillips show anything?

Looked forgettable.
He needs a lot more seasoning to see what we have. He's Johnny sized, without Johnny skills. Give him at least two years in Stockton to see what we have there.

Overall, outside of a few players, not really many high praises for the team today. The PTOs were f***ing miserable. Like Vik Svedberg was a penalty causing pylon out there.

But hey, we kind of got what we wanted:
Top forward minutes: Dube & Mangiapane, both with goals (Doobs with 3)
Top defensive minutes: Juuso Valimaki.

Overall disappointed with Kylington and Rittich. Both guys had very poor performances last night.

One thing I've seen RE: Juuso.
I know not a lot of people really follow along with WHL hockey all that much. This is kind of his game. If you guys were expecting the Erik Karlsson/Brent Burns type stuff, that's not really his jam. Plays a simple defensive game, doesn't give up the puck much, doesn't make those high danger plays in his own end. Skates the puck well, pushes the puck up ice. Is good on the blueline, likes to join rushes when possible. Honestly, on most nights, you'll notice him a few times a game on a rush and the rest will be pretty forgettable. That being said, he'll out-shoot, out-chance and out-possess the other team all night; and end up with a point or two for his efforts as well.

Think of him less of a TJ Brodie, more of a Mark Giordano type D. Not a free spirited dancer, more of a smart player who makes the right play.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Looked forgettable.
He needs a lot more seasoning to see what we have. He's Johnny sized, without Johnny skills. Give him at least two years in Stockton to see what we have there.

Overall, outside of a few players, not really many high praises for the team today. The PTOs were ****ing miserable. Like Vik Svedberg was a penalty causing pylon out there.

But hey, we kind of got what we wanted:
Top forward minutes: Dube & Mangiapane, both with goals (Doobs with 3)
Top defensive minutes: Juuso Valimaki.

Overall disappointed with Kylington and Rittich. Both guys had very poor performances last night.

One thing I've seen RE: Juuso.
I know not a lot of people really follow along with WHL hockey all that much. This is kind of his game. If you guys were expecting the Erik Karlsson/Brent Burns type stuff, that's not really his jam. Plays a simple defensive game, doesn't give up the puck much, doesn't make those high danger plays in his own end. Skates the puck well, pushes the puck up ice. Is good on the blueline, likes to join rushes when possible. Honestly, on most nights, you'll notice him a few times a game on a rush and the rest will be pretty forgettable. That being said, he'll out-shoot, out-chance and out-possess the other team all night; and end up with a point or two for his efforts as well.

Think of him less of a TJ Brodie, more of a Mark Giordano type D. Not a free spirited dancer, more of a smart player who makes the right play.
He look VERY solid handling the puck on the blueline. He's going to be a major asset for our powerplay if he can develop that skill. A couple times I noticed him holding the puck on the point and just walking the blue line to evade his defender. Lots of poise in that situation.

Reactions: Nanuuk

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
As a follow-up to my previous post, this is the list of guys on the ice for goals for and against, excluding the EN goal.

NameES GFPP GFSH GFTotal GF-ES GAPP GASH GATotal GA
Spencer Foo1001-2013
Duncan Siemens1001-1102
Kerby Rychel3003-2002
Juuso Valimaki3003-2002
Justin Falk3003-1001
Tyler Graovac0000-0101
Matthew Phillips0000-1001
Logan Shaw0000-1001
Scott Sabourin0000-1102
Buddy Robinson3003-2002
Ryan Lomberg0000-1001
Oliver Kylington1001-2013
Dillon Dube3003-2002
Brett Pollock0000-0011
Viktor Svedberg0000-1001
Andrew Mangiapane1001-0011
Alan Quine1001-1012
Ryan Sproul0000-1012
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Literally every skater was on the ice for at least a single goal against.
Totally irrelevant when 5 of the 7 goals were trash. This is one of the worst games I have seen Rittich play. His feet were never set, playing too deep in the goal and in general a total lack of compete. Gilles may have given up a couple weak goals but came back to compete. By contrast Ritter look abysmal and never doubled down on his play. There were only 2-3 goals that were decent in the entire game. Foo was buzzing all night, Valimaki's break outs were good, and Kylington is still out of position at the wrong times.

That said I was surprised Gawdin wasn't playing. 95% of the rosters that played last night won't be in the NHL for a couple seasons if at all. Pollock came back to play like Pollock does. No real surprise there. In essence to draw any conclusions from the game last night is foolish. Even Dube with his hat trick can't really be judged as being effective as 2 of the goals were garbage.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Rittich gets one pass as Gillies does.

If you have another shit game, then that's on you.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Totally irrelevant when 5 of the 7 goals were trash. This is one of the worst games I have seen Rittich play. His feet were never set, playing too deep in the goal and in general a total lack of compete. Gilles may have given up a couple weak goals but came back to compete. By contrast Ritter look abysmal and never doubled down on his play. There were only 2-3 goals that were decent in the entire game. Foo was buzzing all night, Valimaki's break outs were good, and Kylington is still out of position at the wrong times.

That said I was surprised Gawdin wasn't playing. 95% of the rosters that played last night won't be in the NHL for a couple seasons if at all. Pollock came back to play like Pollock does. No real surprise there. In essence to draw any conclusions from the game last night is foolish. Even Dube with his hat trick can't really be judged as being effective as 2 of the goals were garbage.

I disagree. Dube’s goals were from great IQ. Even if they weren’t the prettiest, all those goals were because Dube was moving his feet.

Reactions: snipetype

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I disagree. Dube’s goals were from great IQ. Even if they weren’t the prettiest, all those goals were because Dube was moving his feet.

Speed speed and more speed. The reason doobs will be an NHLer sooner rather than later.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Rittich gets one pass as Gillies does.

If you have another **** game, then that's on you.

No, we need to pray for a healthy Smith because these 2 are either not ready or straight out garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad