GDT: Preseason begins - Rangers at Devils 7 PM MSG+, Devils at Montreal 7:30 PM (split-squad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Kinda sucks for Deslauriers, but it's better than breaking the faces of our own players like he did to Speers :)

Reactions: OmNomNom

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Anyone have video of that fight?
Might be up on youtube at this point.

Baddock connected with the only really powerful punch. You could see where he hit him. Didn't think he did that sort of damage though. Deslauriers is tough as hell to keep fighting on with that.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Lappin as a slot in/extra forward would likely be an upgrade from last year from Hayes who was in that role much of the season.

Could just be rust and whatnot of getting back into full game shape, doesn't matter how much work you put in during the off-season, games will best prepare you for games so it will always take some getting used to at first, but saw some of the late season Bratt out there last night.

Reactions: Aethon

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Its a joke if you think hes a first or even second pairing dman. Him and Sevo constantly miss their man in front of the net. Look at Sevo positioning on the second goal last night. I am OK with them being out of position trying to make plays in the Ozone. But, their positioning in their own end is horrendous.
Vatanen is not even a second pairing defenseman? WUT?

I find people that don't like Vatanen are usually the people clamoring for the need to acquire some ''Defensive defenseman'' and think guys like Adam Larsson are like the best thing ever and are constantly swinging from his jock and other guys who help ''Clear the crease'', despite not being able to skate, nor possessing any skill at all.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

I find people that don't like Vatanen are usually the people clamoring for the need to acquire some ''Defensive defenseman'' and think guys like Adam Larsson are like the best thing ever and are constantly swinging from his jock and other guys who help ''Clear the crease'', despite not being able to skate, nor possessing any skill at all.
More like Adam God Henrique syndrome.

Reactions: Billdo and Bleedred

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Its a joke if you think hes a first or even second pairing dman. Him and Sevo constantly miss their man in front of the net. Look at Sevo positioning on the second goal last night. I am OK with them being out of position trying to make plays in the Ozone. But, their positioning in their own end is horrendous.

so Sami Vatanen is a 3rd pairing DMan?

lol.

I think this is a perfect example of "people don't understand things outside of their little Devils bubble". They actually think that other teams have players like Vatanen on their bottom pairing.

Vatanen is a good player. He is not a #1 DMan, but I would say he is a #2/3 for sure. At least he played that way for much of last year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Gryba's not even going to play 8 games for the Devils, let alone 82. He's pure Bingo fodder.

He's 5th on the RHD depth chart - those guys usually get in some games. Last year was a freak season where the Devils only dressed 9 D all year and never called anyone up from Binghamton.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Uh - he was on the third pairing in ANA when we traded for him...

That said, he certainly played well enough for *most* of the season to be a Zidlicky+ 2nd pairing guy.

If 'most fans who dislike Vats want a defensive defenseman', then I'd say most of his defenders on this board see no problem with playing mistake-prone offensive defensemen...

To be completely honest, he's quite a big step up defensively from Jon Moore - and I think he'd be perfect in that role as a very good 2nd pairing guy.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
what does it matter what he was before he was here? sometimes players need a change of scenery and Anaheim had/has a lot of good DMen

Kyle Palmieri was a bottom 6 player in Anaheim and now is a legitimate 25 goal scorer with an expanded role

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

lol.

I think this is a perfect example of "people don't understand things outside of their little Devils bubble". They actually think that other teams have players like Vatanen on their bottom pairing.

Vatanen is a good player. He is not a #1 DMan, but I would say he is a #2/3 for sure. At least he played that way for much of last year.

Playing defense in the modern NHL is so difficult. If Vats was a bit bigger and faster he’d be among the best defenders in the league. He gets the way you have to play now. You have to defend big fast players and create offense against fast players.

Look at who is getting picked in the first round now. Plenty of defenders no bigger than Vats. I’m not sure how they will all hold up but when Vats is engaged and on his game he looks like a top notch defender to me even if his speed is just average.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

It's more because they miss Henrique

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Vatanen, who played 21+ minutes a night for 4+ seasons in a row was a third pairing defenseman with Anaheim?
He had injury issues and fell out of favor in his last season or season and a half there, but that is some serious revisionist history to claim he was third pairing his whole time with Anaheim, even just based on his minutes as you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad