GDT: Preseason begins - Rangers at Devils 7 PM MSG+, Devils at Montreal 7:30 PM (split-squad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I don’t expect Smith to make it, but he really was our best defenseman out there. Almost every pass was the right decision and perfectly on the tape. I doubt his body could hold up to a full NHL season, but he probably wouldn’t look out of place on this team right now. I guess he’s competing with Mueller and Yak? Mueller-Severson supposedly looked like ass.

The one issue would be how the PK would look if Smith was in over Mueller. We’d have Greene as our only lefty we’d feel comfortable with on the PK and on the right side Severson isn’t much of a PKer.

IDK how any feels comfortable with mr soft clears and whiffed clears.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I keep reading that Zacha had a good game last night then I read he only had two shot attempts and none on goal. If he doesn’t produce points, we’re in trouble. I don’t care how great everyone says he is defensively. A no. 2 center needs to produce offense.

Individually, he did have a good game. He put himself in good spots on the ice for prime scoring chances but those passes just didn't connect. The line as a whole looked out of sync, which is normal in pre-season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Am I the only one who does NOT get excited about Nick Lappin. To me, in baseball terms, he's what you call the quadruple A player. Good in the minors, but nothing but a retread in the majors. I'd much rather see Quenneville or McLeod get a shot with the big team to make sure they aren't another Nick Lappin.
I think he has some potential. Still. At the very least he is a descent extra forward/call up that can fill in.

That being said, I think we have a tendency to define a player way too soon. Yes, Nick is going to be 26 years old in a couple months, but it is important to remember that two years ago Lappin was still in college. Lappin has two years of Pro experience and in that short time he really has produced quite well. 48 goals and 89 points in 112 games at the AHL level is pretty impressive in my opinion. And 8 points in his first 49 games NHL games isn't terrible.

I actually much rather have a guy like Lappin playing 10 minutes a night on the 4th line than Quenneville or McLeod. I rather have a Quenneville or McLeod in a more meaningful spots than 4th line RW.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I wouldn't say smith is slow either. He moves pretty fast even though he doesn't look it. His skating is very economical / smooth. He's not a burner like Hughes is, but he still moves quick.
He looked faster with the puck on the rush...A few times when he needed to "catch-up" it looked like He just didn't have that "catch-up" speed/ extra gear. One game, first game - Obviously need to see more.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Individually, he did have a good game. He put himself in good spots on the ice for prime scoring chances but those passes just didn't connect. The line as a whole looked out of sync, which is normal in pre-season.

He also got one prime chance from a high slot and shot wide. Understandable in game one of the pre-season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don’t expect Smith to make it, but he really was our best defenseman out there. Almost every pass was the right decision and perfectly on the tape. I doubt his body could hold up to a full NHL season, but he probably wouldn’t look out of place on this team right now. I guess he’s competing with Mueller and Yak? Mueller-Severson supposedly looked like ass.

The one issue would be how the PK would look if Smith was in over Mueller. We’d have Greene as our only lefty we’d feel comfortable with on the PK and on the right side Severson isn’t much of a PKer.
Smith on the PK this season sounds like a very bad call. Because of that I don't think he is competing with Mueller.

Aside from squeezing Sev's, with either Smith or Butch moving to the right,(which in itself is highly unlikely) I just don't see a spot for him.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Coach has to be careful not to tell Gryba "you've got to play smarter, use your head out there"

NJDpassantino

Jan 16, 2012
You make it sound like Vatanen was previously bad with us....which is an absolute joke of an opinion.

Its a joke if you think hes a first or even second pairing dman. Him and Sevo constantly miss their man in front of the net. Look at Sevo positioning on the second goal last night. I am OK with them being out of position trying to make plays in the Ozone. But, their positioning in their own end is horrendous.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
he hasn't even played an (official) game for us yet. at some point, we'll need players with G R I T, since apparently we lacked that in the playoffs. reg season too. i mean, could he possibly be worse than LJ?

Sadly he could be. Lovejoy is a competent defensive player on a third pair.

Reactions: Devils Dominion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->