GDT: Preseason at Bruins, 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I mean it is really McMichael vs Mantha for 2LW. Oshie on right. Milano-Stome-Phillips as third line.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Carlson and Sandin. That's going to be a good pairing.

McMichael with 10 SOG. Spot locked up IMO.

Mantha can't buy a goal but also wasn't great. Hard to justify keeping him on the roster.

And Matthew Phillips. What a swell dude.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Edit: This has Edmundson active.

Did a little Cap run of numbers. If Shepherd over Chuck. Edmundson and Paches on LTIR, we can keep 14 forwards and 7 dee. Problems if we get healthy.

IMG_0409.png

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Mantha was inexplicably casual on that doink off the post. Hate to say it kinda encapsulates his time here, but it kinda encapsulates his time here

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Caps 2/3 PP and 4/4 PK. Just watched the highlights. The Caps dominated the Bruins, which is reflective of the 41 to 20 shots in the game(appears they took over the 3rd and OT, which is a positive sign for a road game).

Ullmark kept the Bruins in it. For Kuemper, I would only fault him for the 4th goal(short-side goal in tight is no no to give up), as the other 3 he didn't get help( 2 of the goals were side2side(very challenging for any goalie to cover left/middle/right in a matter of secs) odd man breaks(3 on 2's) and Milano accidentally redirecting a pass in the opposite direction Kuemper was moving towards.

Kuzy 50% on faceoffs means he did a good job, as he's usually worse than that. Strome was good on faceoffs too.

Offensive attack looks good, but defending/holding leads might be a ? It's preseason, so game lineups are a mixed bag till the last preseason game.

I'm spitballing a bit, but seems to me Caps need to be more compact in their D-zone to help the goalies. Look like some loose coverage in front of Kuemper.

Oh, Backstrom playing 15+ mins is a positive. It appears he has his game conditioning back, but the regular season is a 82 game grind. I'm wondering if 3C would be best for him, as I think Kuzy/Strome can interchanged the 1C/2C positions.

Offensive punch of John Carlson seems to be back again. I would say he should have been one of the 3 stars tonight(1 goal, 2 assists , +2). Caps have to find a way to keep him healthy.

Was OV not playing scheduled that way by the coaches? It's good to see goal scoring from the rest of the team without OV in the lineup.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I figured the last 3 preseason gms the intensity would ramp up, what a fun entertaining romp

Happy with the effort and ended up a fairly dominant game
McMic and Phillips did themselves a favor, Haman Aktell looking like he belongs in all 3 gms so far
Willy, Strome, and Milano are ready for RS fer sure

With a little luck in the health dept this team won't be kcufing suck this year

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I had to go to bed early and I had to drink a little to get that tired, so I don't fully remember this one, but I also think I got drunk enough that I didn't notice my stream had paused while I was watching something else at intermission.

I don't want to say "usually" like it happens a lot but usually if I'm watching sports too drunk to remember them the next day the highlights start kicking things back into motion and the later goals/runs/touchdowns start getting familiar before they happen, but not this one.

Good for Phillips to keep it going. It will seem like I've been against him based on some other stuff but nobody's rooting against a Capital to succeed, if he makes it and is a little dynamo I'm glad to be wrong. It's slightly weird to see him hit boxcar success and have such a middling place on the chart, but "treading water" is hardly a bad place to be when you're a waterbug player already, the fact that he's not caved in on game impacts in, say, the defensive zone is a positive. If there has to be a middle of the road player I'm way more comfortable seeing one with skill and pace instead of whatever Laviolette-ready meathead was going to see time.

Team missed Carlson a lot, I think we don't necessarily underrate him but sometimes forget how good he is when he was missing last year. Really glad they made the decision to shelf him last year and just let his body get right, but it's also a potentially different season if he never goes down last year. You take the pick when you get it, no regrets, but Carlson helps make a winning team work.

I don't put a lot against HHA on that 3 on 2 goal, I think he had his man fairly well contained but his stick could be more active, beyond that it was just a neat pass. That they get beat twice by the same play I'm a little annoyed by, but it's preseason. If Pasta fools him and bluffs the pass but HHA is hedging that way he's giving up a clear lane right to the net, so the body has to be where it is. It's a nice rush concept (hardly new, to be fair) and they'll probably convert a good few times this season. Two of those Bruins goals are virtually identical, as long as they have the shots, they'll keep hitting them. Surprised his offensive impact is as high as it is, don't know if that's a zone specific stat or if outlet passes contribute. If they do, keep him, because they need that.

What else... Backstrom looks way closer to his old self than I would have hoped, though I did suspect that getting a real offseason that wasn't dedicated to surgery rehab would help him a lot. The ACL was a death sentence for pro athletes once, maybe hip resurfacing is the new improved thing. Kuznetsov seems engaged and ready to play, loving that, and suddenly the Caps' center depth doesn't suck all the butts in the world.

Thought Sandin looked good, that little cut towards the front of the net was something missing in the team last year. When someone gives you space and a look you take it, strict adherence to the system leaves people with safe reads. Hard to get an understanding of how he worked in the pairing or how his D was on highlights but he seems like a guy who has got relatively similar tools to Orlov (less foot speed, better hands) and just works them different for more offensive impact. Frankly thought Orlov could have nurtured that a little different based on his slapper alone but I'm not in the room and don't know how he's been coached.

also, like others have said, what the nuts was Pasta doing on the OT goal? The most casual two hands high flyby I've seen in some time, probably would have helped the goalie more just by not trying.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
can’t decide if props are to Phillips or more of a WTF effort from pasta. Prob a bit of both. But if that was reg season and I was a Boston fan, I’m screaming at pasta.
Props to Phillips for actually converting on a scoring chance. Most players send that high and wide.

Reactions: McVechkin

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Turned on the game and immediately see Pardy Hardy pummel the ogre Lucic. I checked his fight card and got crickets so I am not fully sold yet but my 3LD better hit dammit. Good first impression and I think he's a lock.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Noticed Marchand tried to run Sandin a bit in OT behind Caps net, and got himself out of position. Maybe the face-licker saw enough of him in Toronto and decided he was a soft Swede who could be bullied. Sandin seemed to handle it OK, but it does make you wonder whether he would benefit from a more rugged D partner than Carlson, and vice-versa. On the other hand, Carlson and Sandin seemed to read each other pretty well and on those occasions when I was paying attention the puck seemed to move pretty quickly out of our end when they were together. Carlson-HHA and Sandin-TVR could be default pairings - and then put Carlson-Sandin together occasionally when you're trying to inject some offense 5x5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad