GDT: Preseason 9/23 - Coyotes @ Canucks - 7PM MST

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
I disagree. He's not ready. He was rag dolled most of the night and was only effective in brief, albeit exciting flashes. He had about three breathtaking sequences and an entire game of looking in over his head. Keeping him up is ruining him forever.

I agree he was rag-dolled. I'm curious though how Pat Kane compared in his first year, first set of exhibition games. I'd be surprised if he wasnt thrown around in the same way. These smaller, skilled guys need a few games to develop the cleverness to evade the physical attention.

lockstock

Dec 16, 2007
Kauai
I drove up to the game after work yesterday. Domi looked great, but he definitely got pushed around a lot. I'd be worried about playing him up in the NHL this year just because he needs to add a bit of size. He got the 3rd star of the game. I wish we had someone we could play alongside Hanzal-Vrbata, it might be him soon, but not this season.

Miele looked like he knew what he should do, but easily got pushed completely out of every play. Too bad.

Sometimes I think Yandle is great, sometimes I think he's the most overrated player in the western conference. If GMDM can find someone to overpay for him, I wouldn't argue. If that person fits with H-V or Ribs, Bods, or Doan, even better.

I have a man crush on OEL.

Vermette and Brule looked floaty and useless for a lot of the night. A lot of the guys looked that way actually. Still glad I went. First time in Canada, had a great time. I still wish we could find a way to get Whitney back to have one line we know will work well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I agree he was rag-dolled. I'm curious though how Pat Kane compared in his first year, first set of exhibition games. I'd be surprised if he wasnt thrown around in the same way. These smaller, skilled guys need a few games to develop the cleverness to evade the physical attention.

Kane certainly became impossible to hit. Domi has more a pitbull quality than Kane ever had. He's also better built. He's got more of a fire hydrant thing going on. I love this prospect, I just don't think he's the most appropriate solution to our top six wing issue.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I drove up to the game after work yesterday. Domi looked great, but he definitely got pushed around a lot. I'd be worried about playing him up in the NHL this year just because he needs to add a bit of size. He got the 3rd star of the game. I wish we had someone we could play alongside Hanzal-Vrbata, it might be him soon, but not this season.
I do think Domi is the solution there. He's a great match for that line, IMO. Hanzal is perfect for creating the space and Vrbata for finishing off the plays. He could totally be the long-term Whitney. You are right, though, just not for this season.
Miele looked like he knew what he should do, but easily got pushed completely out of every play. Too bad.
This I hate to agree with, but I have to. Sucks, just when I was warming up to the idea. Ugh...
Sometimes I think Yandle is great, sometimes I think he's the most overrated player in the western conference. If GMDM can find someone to overpay for him, I wouldn't argue. If that person fits with H-V or Ribs, Bods, or Doan, even better.
For Yandle, this is just practice. To quote Allen Iverson, "Talkin' about practice?" I wouldn't read too much into it.

Vermette and Brule looked floaty and useless for a lot of the night. A lot of the guys looked that way actually.

I disagree, here. I'd put Brule almost in the same category as Miele. He had all the right intentions, and I'd say he even competed hard. Just ineffective. Like the LA series. Vermette I think is a fantastic 3rd C. Just an overpaid one. I'd be happy to have him back at a discount.

Still glad I went. First time in Canada, had a great time. I still wish we could find a way to get Whitney back to have one line we know will work well.

Where did you drive up from?

Also, seeing Miele and Brule in that game makes me wonder how bad Latendresse must've been. That's disappointing. You'd think a guy like that, with that skill and size, would've found the proper motivation to be his absolute best in a situation like this. All he had to do was beat out those two. He should've been up to the task. That fact that he obviously wasn't is truly damning.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I disagree. He's not ready. He was rag dolled most of the night and was only effective in brief, albeit exciting flashes. He had about three breathtaking sequences and an entire game of looking in over his head. Keeping him up is ruining him forever.

damn, you just re-introduced reality. I don't know if I'd use the term ragdolled (Miele was), but he was ineffective early in the game... would you say he improved as the game went on?

the other thing that stood out was he didn't seem out of place playing with a Selke candidate and a 30 goal scorer.

it's remarkable he's still in camp, and since Tippett probably has equal input as GMDM, that really speaks to an incredible amount of optimism for his future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->