GDT: Preseason 9/23 - Coyotes @ Canucks - 7PM MST

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
As fans, I don't understand how any of you would prefer to see Miele (sp), Yip, or Brule on a nightly basis this season, especially after watching tonight's game. Your team isn't going to play the most exciting style of game this year, and Domi would (at the very least) put a smile on your faces a few times every night... and isn't that why we watch hockey? Winning is (primarily) for the organization... entertainment is for the fans. And if you can't have both, wouldn't you rather be entertained than not?

I can't speak for Yip, but both Miele and Brule are examples of players who have shown some flair in the past, and occasionally put a smile on fans' faces. Unfortunately, their presence didn't necessarily translate to winning.

And winning, not entertainment, is for the fans. If I can't have both, I'll choose winning over entertainment. I don't care how offensively exciting a team is if we can have a deep playoff run like we did a couple seasons ago.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Domi was our best forward, but he still needs another year...think how much better he'll be next season.

Rundblad can be our 6th D along with DeMo, like him to death, but he was awful last night and Yandle need someone like Z...a calming influence. Stick Stone with OEL to provide a bigger body.

After watching last nights game, and I know it's only one game, but Miele just doesn't look like he'll be able to do anything. Brule was awful as well, Brown still need work defensively but I like him in the O-zone.

We really, really need a "stop gap" 2nd line LW for just one season until Domi can take that spot next season. I do wish that we could just go get Prospal.

Boedker looked good
Vermette looked like crap
Korpi looked worse than crap
Chips is what Chips is, no more no less
Vrbata didn't look right
Hanzal was good
Greiss looked good in spots, but shaky in others

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I really like Max Domi as a player, so I've been following your threads here on the Phoenix board since training camp began... silently though, of course, as I hadn't seen any of it up until tonight.

My take? Domi was the best Coyote forward out there tonight. I don't know if that was an aberration though, of course, but I doubt it, since he was the Max Domi I expected to see this year. Bottom line for me is that he belongs in the NHL right now. I have no clue whether he'll stick or not, and I'm hesitant even to hope for it due to Phoenix's history with 18 year olds... but I really don't see how it would be better for his development to dominate in the OHL (again), versus learning to play with the speed and physicality of the NHL.

Frankly, I think being sent down in pre-season would hurt his development. He knows he's good enough to play for this team, so sending him down before he's played at least a few regular season games runs the risk of hurting his confidence and faith in his new team.

As fans, I don't understand how any of you would prefer to see Miele (sp), Yip, or Brule on a nightly basis this season, especially after watching tonight's game. Your team isn't going to play the most exciting style of game this year, and Domi would (at the very least) put a smile on your faces a few times every night... and isn't that why we watch hockey? Winning is (primarily) for the organization... entertainment is for the fans. And if you can't have both, wouldn't you rather be entertained than not?

Note: Again, let me reiterate, I'm basing my views on having watched Domi extensively in the past, and limited viewings of the Coyotes last season and the game tonight. If tonight was not indicative of what you guys have seen thus far in training camp/pre-season, please either ignore me or inform me. I mean no disrespect by any of my above comments, they're just one (rather experienced) hockey fan's thoughts, based on a relatively small (and possibly misleading) amount of data.

I don't think anyone said we prefer those players over Domi..We have one of the top 5 gm/coach combinations in the league... those of us that are sane, trust their decisions and don't think we know more than them.

I have to laugh at your comment about the team's style of play... the last 4 years have been the most entertaining in the history of coyote hockey over any 4 year period. I'm entertained by wins, if they can pull off slick plays like Domi did last night it's just gravy... last night a little gravy on an empty plate... I'll take a full plate, and if it comes with gravy, even better.

I forgot to mention, one of the most entertaining things about the Coyotes is hearing every fanbase remark about their team playing their worst game of the season, anytime they lose to the Coyotes....lol

Last edited:

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I guess we shouldn't always live in fear of keeping an 18 year old up, afterall, Tikhonov, Turris, and Boedker were under Gretzky when that experiment failed.

why does Maloney get a free pass?

How does Chip and Klink look? Do you see them as staying as 4 th line pairing?

absolutely...I think they could be one of the better fourth lines with Brown.... and they both earned line promotions at various times last season..

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I wonder why Tippett doesn't play Meile on the wing? :sarcasm:

Like I stated at the begining of this thread (and have stated before), we have no legitimate player for the top six forward role as required and that will make things difficult. This was indeed pre season and the staff is looking to make improvements and fill voids above winning games. It's not that they don't care about winning, nothing could be further from the truth, but the priority is evaluation. AGAIN, Meile doesn't have it when the going gets tough, I don't think the staff is interested in a rag doll on the boards - Domi has a better shot. Korps & Brule have not shown me they can fit in the top six either, this should come as no shock to anyone.

I agree with Sindiggy in that Prospal would be an excellent addition.

That said, the vets on the team will get themselves going, Tippetts system will take hold and the potential to compete will be there yet again.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Like I stated at the begining of this thread (and have stated before), we have no legitimate player for the top six forward role as required and that will make things difficult.

Last year we had a lack of TWO legit top six forwards. Baby steps.

Heck last season we had at some points a lack of FOUR top six forwards depending on how you look at Vermette.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
One could argue that Bods, Doan and Hazal aren't top six material.

No, one could not argue that. Doan is a fine second line option. He doesn't belong on a number-one line, but I think DT is giving it to him because he is Doan (which I'm fine with). Hanzal is absolutely a number-two center. He is the best defensive center in the game and his offensive game gets better and better. Not to mention who we play against and our style of play in general is very reliant upon Hanzal's game.

Boedker is a top-six player on almost any team. He is very fast, strong, and becoming more and more creative with the puck. He is also showing a willingness to shoot the puck more often.

All of HF constantly babbles about our lack of talent, (which is becoming less and less valid each year) we don't need to start doing that to ourselves.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Boedker is arguable yes because last season he was very streaky and we don't have the full answer on who he is yet.

Doan and Hanzal are only not top six material if the definition of top six is obscenely high.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

We do not prefer those guys. What we do prefer is to in no way jeopardize Domi's development. He is going to be a star for this team if everything goes right. It is management's job to ensure everything does indeed go right.

Our team plays a winning style. Exciting or not, it really doesn't matter. Yandle, OEL, Ribs, Vrbata/Hanzal, and at times Boedker are exciting players to watch. They simply play "exciting" when it will not hurt their positional obligations. That is what turns people off about the Coyotes. They are so use to watching players run around all over the place in an attempt to make a play. The Coyotes' players do not do that.

I'm blown away by your winning comment. If I wanted to watch exciting losers I'd be an Oiler fan. Bunch of speedy "stars" consistently losing isn't my cup of tea. It is all about winning.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Boedker is arguable yes because last season he was very streaky and we don't have the full answer on who he is yet.

Doan and Hanzal are only not top six material if the definition of top six is obscenely high.

I don't think Boedker's stats are indicative of how he played last year. At this second, if I had to pick a between Doan or Boedker to be in our top-six, I'd take Boeds. I think you guys are selling him a bit short.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't think Boedker's stats are indicative of how he played last year. At this second, if I had to pick a between Doan or Boedker to be in our top-six, I'd take Boeds. I think you guys are selling him a bit short.

Maybe, but NHL history is littered with players who had amazing tools and couldn't reliably deliver. I hope Boeds doesn't stay that way but at this point that's where I have to classify him.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Bods may develop into a top six, yes he has speed and has gotten stronger (can remember him having issues on the breakout at the wall), but he has an awfully difficult time finishng.

Hanzal - NO ARGUMENT from me, can't even play the devils advocate on this one, but it has been argued against me by a few who know the game and I typically respect the opinion of.

Doan? How many times has the big name (now Ribero) come in and he has not gelled at all? Everytime - On one hand he always proves me wrong in that he puts up points, but he's really suited in a lesser role and I see that as the third line.

I like all the above players and don't go getting all emotional on me, it's just the reality of what we have here. It will once again take diligence and dogged determination to make the playoffs - something that typically the teams with truely legit top six's require after making the playoffs.

Last edited:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
And winning, not entertainment, is for the fans. If I can't have both, I'll choose winning over entertainment. I don't care how offensively exciting a team is if we can have a deep playoff run like we did a couple seasons ago.

:handclap: Every time we'd go up 2-1, I'd turn to my neighbor and say "welp, it's the perfect Tippett score. Time to bore them to death." And smile.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles

I have argued this numerous times. All three are glorified 3rd line players. Look at Hanzals and Boedkers career highs. And Doan is clearly past his prime.

Guys, let's not kid ourselves. We have two sure top-6 players: Ribeiro and Vrbata.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I have argued this numerous times. All three are glorified 3rd line players. Look at Hanzals and Boedkers career highs. And Doan is clearly past his prime.

Guys, let's not kid ourselves. We have two sure top-6 players: Ribeiro and Vrbata.

Well, Marty's not your typical second line center no doubt, but his excellent shut down ability earns him the top six in my opinion. I've got to admit though, I always thought his offensive production would improve - maybe I'm hanging on to that; sadly, it looks like it's not going to happen.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Hey Guys, how is Greiss doing overall?

6 goals is never got to give up for a goalie, but looking at the highlight on NHL.com, I think there are worser ways to get in 6 goals.
After all 1 game is a really small sample size, so I would really appreciate some words about him in Arizona so far.

Always loved him, because as a German you basically have to love all German NHLers, just because they are so few :naughty:
Do you think he has anything more than decent career backup in him?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I've got to admit though, I always thought his offensive production would improve

But it has improved :dunno:

By the standard you guys have over half the leagues 2nd line aren't "top 6" material.

Hey Guys, how is Greiss doing overall?

6 goals is never got to give up for a goalie, but looking at the highlight on NHL.com, I think there are worser ways to get in 6 goals.
After all 1 game is a really small sample size, so I would really appreciate some words about him in Arizona so far.

Always loved him, because as a German you basically have to love all German NHLers, just because they are so few :naughty:
Do you think he has anything more than decent career backup in him?

Not too worried about the small sample results. Heck Phoenix makes LOLBarbera's numbers look good. Griess might find himself in demand as a starter somewhere after a few years here.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
But it has improved :dunno:

By the standard you guys have over half the leagues 2nd line aren't "top 6" material.

This is true. But half the league doesn't make the playoffs. We consider ourselves a playoff team so therefore we need our top-6 to be a true top 6, or else we need our GM to try and acquire a true top-6.

knowsthegame

Mar 18, 2008
Tale of 2 NHL cities
I thought Miele was more effective than half our forwards. Compare his game to Vermette foe example.
Domi is earning a roster spot. I agree that he adds much needed skill and scoring that we need now. We can't afford the luxury of waiting until next year just because of his age. He is ready. And yes, he is exciting to watch.
Greiss played well and was the victim of sloppy defence not getting to loose pucks.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Not tying to be mean but are you guys forgetting this is pre-season? Of course guys like Vermette, Korpikoski, Morris etc. don't look regular season form. Why try their hardest in a meaningless game? They are just getting some game play in.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Domi is earning a roster spot. I agree that he adds much needed skill and scoring that we need now. We can't afford the luxury of waiting until next year just because of his age. He is ready. And yes, he is exciting to watch.
I disagree. He's not ready. He was rag dolled most of the night and was only effective in brief, albeit exciting flashes. He had about three breathtaking sequences and an entire game of looking in over his head. Keeping him up is ruining him forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->