GDT: Preseason 9/23 - Coyotes @ Canucks - 7PM MST

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I know we start rough every season, but this game is depressing... (also, some of it might be my fault. I tuned in just in time for the fifth goal).

Demosthenes

Speaker for the dead
Sep 29, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Looked good at points, controlled the play and applied good pressure, but it all broke down too much and we let them dictate play as we scrambled around and let in goals left and right.

Domi had some really impressive shifts.

Hopefully we play good soon.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Ya, what the heck happened? I left the game for a while, came back and it was 4 - 1. Checked a little while later and it was 6 - 1 :help:

Greiss was playing great when I watched. Don't know how it got so lopsided.

Scottyb123

Feb 2, 2010
Still not convinced on Rundblad. Can't say I was impressed at all.

That was a hard game to watch. No chemistry what so ever.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Ya, what the heck happened? I left the game for a while, came back and it was 4 - 1. Checked a little while later and it was 6 - 1 :help:

Greiss was playing great when I watched. Don't know how it got so lopsided.

Bunch of guys standing around looking at the Canucks move the puck around, that's what happened. That was an awful effort. Would have been much more interesting to see Conner Murphy, Yip and Latendresse.

Brown was a -3 and horrible.
Brule was invisible most of the time, and when visible, was planted on the ice.
Stone was invisible.
Don't even talk to me about Korpikoski or Vermette.

No offense whatsoever, 22 shots I believe and 3 or of them came from Max Domi, who was the only one skating and creating chances out there.

Lyotes

Aug 8, 2012
Arizona
I saw some good things, so I don't want to sound negative. But what don't I see in Miele and Runblad that a lot of you are so impressed with.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
It is preseason guys. The more skilled teams are better in preseason. It might take the coyotes a few more games to get their system in place and Tip was looking at guys for roster positions. Our two most productive forwards were out too, not sure that would matter much. A few more cuts, some vets playing harder, thing will tighten up now. No worries....

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
It is preseason guys. The more skilled teams are better in preseason. It might take the coyotes a few more games to get their system in place and Tip was looking at guys for roster positions. Our two most productive forwards were out too, not sure that would matter much. A few more cuts, some vets playing harder, thing will tighten up now. No worries....

This is a good point.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Brown belongs in the nhl. a reason the pp is doing well.
I'd be shocked, but I hope Domi sticks around another week. he created time and space. ++
Miele can't overcome his size
Brule was forgetful, but sign him to a two way and start him in Portland.
ugly game, but fun watching Domi improve as the game went on.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
When I saw the line up I was not expecting to win. Vancouver was playing with twins, kessler and a few other top guys. I do not think Tippets true lines will play anything like that.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I really like Max Domi as a player, so I've been following your threads here on the Phoenix board since training camp began... silently though, of course, as I hadn't seen any of it up until tonight.

My take? Domi was the best Coyote forward out there tonight. I don't know if that was an aberration though, of course, but I doubt it, since he was the Max Domi I expected to see this year. Bottom line for me is that he belongs in the NHL right now. I have no clue whether he'll stick or not, and I'm hesitant even to hope for it due to Phoenix's history with 18 year olds... but I really don't see how it would be better for his development to dominate in the OHL (again), versus learning to play with the speed and physicality of the NHL.

Frankly, I think being sent down in pre-season would hurt his development. He knows he's good enough to play for this team, so sending him down before he's played at least a few regular season games runs the risk of hurting his confidence and faith in his new team.

As fans, I don't understand how any of you would prefer to see Miele (sp), Yip, or Brule on a nightly basis this season, especially after watching tonight's game. Your team isn't going to play the most exciting style of game this year, and Domi would (at the very least) put a smile on your faces a few times every night... and isn't that why we watch hockey? Winning is (primarily) for the organization... entertainment is for the fans. And if you can't have both, wouldn't you rather be entertained than not?

Note: Again, let me reiterate, I'm basing my views on having watched Domi extensively in the past, and limited viewings of the Coyotes last season and the game tonight. If tonight was not indicative of what you guys have seen thus far in training camp/pre-season, please either ignore me or inform me. I mean no disrespect by any of my above comments, they're just one (rather experienced) hockey fan's thoughts, based on a relatively small (and possibly misleading) amount of data.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I don't think Tippet and GMDM are concerned at all with Domi's offensive abilities, but to play on a Tippet team you need to be defensively responsible and earn your ice time. He did the same with Turris ( playing the third line, not top 6, so he bailed), and Bodekor (spent a full NHL year on bottom six).

I think the main concern with Coyotes' fans is our history of rushing offensive prospects. Domi's a gem, nobody is denying that, so I think we'd rather be cautious and develop him slowly rather than risk having him in the bottom six grinding it out. I can't see Tippet just hading a top 6 role over to Domi. He hasn't done it for anyone else, ever, as far as I know.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yandle Morris pairing was a nightmare.

Stone was good.

OEL and Rundblad were crazy inconsistent. Especially Rundblad. Both had amazing shifts and terrible shifts. To be expected. Schlemko was pretty invisible which is good in a 6-1 blowout.

Greiss just needs to adjust. First real game like start, right?

Liking Boedker's confidence. Vrbata is a step behind but will catch up. I can see why Maloney and Tippett seem so tempted by Domi. Flashes such good skill but you just know he needs a little more time for his own good. Really liked Chris Brown tonight. Pesky player. Had his stick clogging up lanes and tipping pucks like crazy. Never misses a chance to finish a check. Did all those little things DT loves. He even got promoted. He went from the 4h line with Klink and Chip in the first half to the Boedker Vermette line later in the game. I guess the staff was happy.

None of Miele, Brule nor Korpikoski looked like the answer in the top six. *sigh* always one card short of a full deck aren't we?

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Yandle Morris pairing was a nightmare.

Stone was good.

OEL and Rundblad were crazy inconsistent. Especially Rundblad. Both had amazing shifts and terrible shifts. To be expected. Schlemko was pretty invisible which is good in a 6-1 blowout.

Greiss just needs to adjust. First real game like start, right?

Liking Boedker's confidence. Vrbata is a step behind but will catch up. I can see why Maloney and Tippett seem so tempted by Domi. Flashes such good skill but you just know he needs a little more time for his own good. Really liked Chris Brown tonight. Pesky player. Had his stick clogging up lanes and tipping pucks like crazy. Never misses a chance to finish a check. Did all those little things DT loves. He even got promoted. He went from the 4h line with Klink and Chip in the first half to the Boedker Vermette line later in the game. I guess the staff was happy.

None of Miele, Brule nor Korpikoski looked like the answer in the top six. *sigh* always one card short of a full deck aren't we?

Strongly agree with most of this, except a few things.

1. I thought Rundblad looked fantastic tonight. Another assist in the preseason, piling up points, and for being a 6-1 blowout, I thought he was one of the best Dmen in our own zone. Looks like last year in the AHL really helped his defensive game. Can you imagine a pairing or OEL-Runblad in a few years from now? Holy Swedish Hot Sauce.

2. Brown has a **** ton of hustle, but in my opinion he looked a little out of position tonight. Seemed to always be chasing the puck carrier rather than being in position to have the puck instead. Am I the only one, or did you see anything like what I'm referring to? With that said and to be fair, our whole team looked jumbled tonight so maybe I'm being too hard on the guy. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about him. I just don't think we'll be seeing any Rihanna concerts at Jobing anytime soon if he makes the cut.

Lessio not in the game tonight, has Brown beat him out? I know Lessio wasn't really expected to make the squad this year, but he is a damn good hockey player.

Other than that, I agree with everything you said. Boedker looks confident and ready, Vrbata needs to get his legs back, and Miele just looked out of place. Still pulling for him...in a way. Meaning I'm kind of warming up to the idea of keeping Domi...I know it's risky, but the dude is crazy talented by the looks of it. I think Hanzal is being reminded of what it's like to play with Whitney again, except this Whitney shoots the puck more rather than passing. I guess we shouldn't always live in fear of keeping an 18 year old up, afterall, Tikhonov, Turris, and Boedker were under Gretzky when that experiment failed.

Two more things.
1. I think Tippett is becoming better in regards to trusting young players. Seems to be giving Domi a lot of ice, and we all saw what he did with a young OEL.

2. FUN FACT: Mike Smith's 1st games as a Coyote, we lost 6-1. Everybody panicked, now look at him. I think Griess just has to get used to our system and more practice sessions with Burkie and we will see one of the strongest goaltending tandems in Coyotes history.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We all have to remember it is preseason. The Vets just don't go as hard, they already have a job. Guys like Runblad and Domi come to camp to earn a spot and are already in great shape. Around the league, it seems like every year, some younger guys start off playing well, then about the 10 to 15 game mark, production tapers off as does there play. They don't hit the wall, it is just that all the vets are in shape by then and team systems are more in place.

Domi looked like our best forward last night and Runblad had another point, great for us. With our D depth, Domi being 18, and a coach that likes defensively responsible players, I don't see either having permanent spots on the roster this year. I can see Runblad staying up with injuries, but I can't see Tip giving an 18 year old top 6 minutes. Bottom line, don't make too much of preseason results or stats...

Feb 12, 2003
I do agree that this tandem of goalies has the chance of being the best 1-2 we've ever had in Phoenix.

One thing that started to creep into my head last season and I'm still concerned about it until I see it corrected is how the team hasn't actually been well defensively. You would think with our blueline that they would be playing rock solid defense, but that was certainly not the case for the majority of the lockout shortened season and we haven't seen much of it in the preseason.

We have guys like Yandle and OEL that are pure talents that make sense on any team. Are guys like Morris and Michalek worthy of the ice time they are suspected to get? I'm not sold that is the problem, but it's worth questioning. Michalek has nostalgic value for many of us, and he was a key guy for us at another time. Morris has similar value to many of the fans and maybe even the team. I know we have offensive holes that would need to be fixed before upgrades on the blueline as well. The Coyotes have excellent defensive depth, but are they stuck with a bunch of guys playing above their heads?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad