GDT: Preseason – Sabres at Canes – Fri Sep 27 – 7:00pm – TV: n/a – Radio: WGR

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
gdt-03-top-1.png
gdt-03-top-2.png

gdt-03-top-3.png
gdt-03-top-4.png

PRESEASON: BUF (4-1-1) at CAR (2-3-0) – FRI SEP 27 – 7:00PM – TV: N/A – RADIO: WGRCHAT

9/25 – Enroth earns shutout in preseason win (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

9/25 – Reflections on Sabres vs Blue Jackets (Brian Duff – Sabres TV)

9/26 – Sabres sign Zadorov, top Blue Jackets (Mike Harrington – The Buffalo News)

9/26 – Junior still likely destination for Zadorov after signing ELC (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

9/27 – Sabres’ Stafford optimistic and refreshed after ‘nightmare’ season (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

9/27 – Armia injury a setback as Sabres assess roster (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

9/27 – Sabres owner Pegula optimistic about young team (John Wawrow – AP)

9/27 – Daily press clips (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)​
header-350x60-team-news-left.png
header-350x60-default-right.png

BUFFALO SABRES

Projected Lineup

26 Thomas Vanek – 19 Cody Hodgson – 9 Steve Ott
65 Brian Flynn – 63 Tyler Ennis – 21 Drew Stafford
28 Zemgus Girgensons – 25 Mikhail Grigorenko – 23 Ville Leino
12 Kevin Porter – 8 Cody McCormick – 36 Patrick Kaleta

10 Christian Ehrhoff – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen
20 Henrik Tallinder – 57 Tyler Myers
61 Nikita Zadorov – 3 Mark Pysyk

30 Ryan Miller
1 Jhonas Enroth

Lineup News & Notes

Four Buffalo skaters are carrying injuries into tonight's game: Joel Armia (broken hand), Marcus Foligno (shoulder;
day-to-day), Cody McCormick (hand; day-to-day) and Corey Tropp (broken jaw; 5-6 weeks).

Weekly Transactions

Buffalo signed Nikita Zadorov to a 3-year ELC on Wednesday.

According to the Stats

Buffalo went 4-1-1 in their last preseason schedule back in 2011. With Wednesday's win, they have now won at least
four preseason games in eight of their last nine preseasons.​
header-350x60-opp-news-left.png
header-350x60-opp-news-right.png

CAROLINA HURRICANES

Projected Lineup

19 Jiri Tlusty – 12 Eric Staal – 18 Radek Dvorak
14 Nathan Gerbe – 11 Jordan Staal – 39 Patrick Dwyer
21 Drayson Bowman – 20 Riley Nash – 22 Zac Dalpe
58 Chris Terry – 42 Brett Sutter – 8 Kevin Westgarth

65 Ron Hainsey – 27 Justin Faulk
4 Andrej Sekera – 7 Ryan Murphy
44 Jay Harrison – 5 Mike Komisarek

30 Cam Ward
31 Anton Khudobin

Lineup News & Notes

Five Carolina players are nursing day-to-day injuries: Tim Gleason (UBI), Elias Lindholm (UBI), Tuomo Ruutu (LBI),
Alexander Semin (UBI) and Jeff Skinner (LBI). Joni Pitkanen (broken heel bone) is on injured reserve and will miss the
entire 2013-14 season.

Weekly Transactions

Carolina assigned six players to Charlotte/AHL on Monday.

According to the Stats

Buffalo and Carolina/Hartford have played ten preseason games all-time, with the Sabres 5-4-1 in preseason contests
versus the Hurricanes/Whalers. The Sabres defeated the Canes, 5-2, in their preseason home opener eight days ago.​

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
No, and I don't think he will be ready for Tuesday, personally. Hoping I'm wrong.

So long as he comes back healthy and there are no more issues, I don't really care if he misses the first few games. Still, the season opens with a bang, they can use any help they can get.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
No, and I don't think he will be ready for Tuesday, personally. Hoping I'm wrong.

I see. Is it serious? What do you guys make of him this season. Was looking was gonna stick on the top line. Is he a big part of the team this year?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
So long as he comes back healthy and there are no more issues, I don't really care if he misses the first few games. Still, the season opens with a bang, they can use any help they can get.
I agree. He needs his health to maximize his game (physicality)--- obviously.
I see. Is it serious? What do you guys make of him this season. Was looking was gonna stick on the top line. Is he a big part of the team this year?

He's not going to be on the top line.

He SHOULD be a major part of this team going forward. My issue with him last year was that he played with such passiveness, such nonchalance, almost as if he was content with the fact that his roster spot was safe. He is best when he plays with tenacity on the forecheck, banging bodies and crashing the net. It has nothing to do with points, or scoring output, production on the scoresheet, etcetera.

I don't care if he scores 15 points over the year, as long as he plays like he did in his stint the season before last I will be happy. He was energetic, tenacious, gritty, and very tough to play against.

One of his best attributes was the concept of the space he created for Ennis, and to a lesser degree stafford, by forechecking as he did, finishing every check, working the walls, etc.

That's what we need.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
As for his injury, I don't know how serious it is, but it didn't look good. I think if it were serious enough that he would miss a lot of time, we'd know as much by now. Sorry to be so unhelpful :laugh:

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
As for his injury, I don't know how serious it is, but it didn't look good. I think if it were serious enough that he would miss a lot of time, we'd know as much by now. Sorry to be so unhelpful :laugh:

Rolston said yesterday he would be back soon

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
from yesterday
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 21h
Weber had a maintenance day, Rolston says. "He'll be fine." He also says Foligno is expected to be back soon. #Sabres

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
from yesterday
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 21h
Weber had a maintenance day, Rolston says. "He'll be fine." He also says Foligno is expected to be back soon. #Sabres

I wonder if he's the guy pulled out of the line-up tonight? I assume they pull at least one guy to play Zadorov one last time, probably another to get another game for McBain.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I wonder if he's the guy pulled out of the line-up tonight? I assume they pull at least one guy to play Zadorov one last time, probably another to get another game for McBain.

Weber pulled for zads. No Larsson tonight is very strange. Flynn skating on the second line instead.

FanboySlayer*

No chance of a stream for this game? Carolina hasn't broadcast any of their pre-season games?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Tonight's the last night for some of the kids to play their way onto the roster. Hoping to see some spunk.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
I'd say he has locked in a roster spot and that's why he's not playing tonight.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It seems like the third line and defense will be the only big points of interest.

It will also be interesting to see how Flynn, Porter, and McCormick do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad