GDT: Premiere presented Sharks @ Ducks 7pm AND the return of Drew

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I know Meier isn't the fastest guy out there, but there was a shift in 3-on-3 where he was on and had to backcheck and he just looked slow. It wasn't like he was out there for a long time either. To play his game he has to have the physicality to do it and it made me wonder what kind of shape he's in.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Awful 2nd, glad they pulled out the win though...Jones with a couple soft ones, but he made some nice saves later on as well. Vlasic is absolute dogshit (pun intended?)...almost single handedly lost them the game. He needs to be on the third pairing. It looks like Boughner finally gave up and promoted Simek in the third. I know the guy makes 7M, but he's been bad for 3 years and is horrendous again this season after a 10-month layoff. He's cooked. Karlsson and Burns have both notably played much better when paired with Ferraro this season, and I though Simek-Karlsson looked decent in the third.

The other big problem is Hertl's line...he's not looking his best and Boughner gives him a 3rd line winger in Gregor (or Donato) and a boat anchor in Marleau? I'd like to see Boughner bring Leonard back and run a second line of Donato-Hertl-Leonard. Donato looks much better with another skilled forward on his line as well (Leonard would be that other skilled winger here). Chmelevski could work as well, or they could try Meier-Hertl-Donato and Gregor-Gambrell-Chmelevski. Hoping for a more complete 60-minute effort tomorrow instead of a 40min effort like tonight. Go Sharks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Awful 2nd, glad they pulled out the win though...Jones with a couple soft ones, but he made some nice saves later on as well. Vlasic is absolute dogshit (pun intended?)...almost single handedly lost them the game. He needs to be on the third pairing. It looks like Boughner finally gave up and promoted Simek in the third. I know the guy makes 7M, but he's been bad for 3 years and is horrendous again this season after a 10-month layoff. He's cooked. Karlsson and Burns have both notably played much better when paired with Ferraro this season, and I though Simek-Karlsson looked decent in the third.

The other big problem is Hertl's line...he's not looking his best and Boughner gives him a 3rd line winger in Gregor (or Donato) and a boat anchor in Marleau? I'd like to see Boughner bring Leonard back and run a second line of Donato-Hertl-Leonard. Donato looks much better with another skilled forward on his line as well (Leonard would be that other skilled winger here). Chmelevski could work as well, or they could try Meier-Hertl-Donato and Gregor-Gambrell-Chmelevski. Hoping for a more complete 60-minute effort tomorrow instead of a 40min effort like tonight. Go Sharks.

Leonard needs to earn the spot. I don’t know why Marleau was up there. Donato was pretty erratic this game. Hertl was just bad. So was Meier. If they want to bring Leonard back in the lineup, they should scratch Meier. Seems like he’s dogging it honestly.

Reactions: Sjsharks5

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Leonard needs to earn the spot. I don’t know why Marleau was up there. Donato was pretty erratic this game. Hertl was just bad. So was Meier. If they want to bring Leonard back in the lineup, they should scratch Meier. Seems like he’s dogging it honestly.

Agreed re: scratching Meier for a game. Hertl doesn't look confident out there, and it's impacting his game big time. Marleau doesn't belong in an an NHL lineup and should be on that 4th line at best since he's chasing the record. Donato seems to play better with quicker/more skilled players like Couture and Labanc, so I can see why he'd struggle with a possession-heavy forward like Hertl. I think if the third guy on that line is a skilled forward like Leonard, Blichfeld, or Chmelevski instead of a boat anchor in Marleau, Donato would look better.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
this team is still way too bipolar to compete... still lacking any kinda consistency

I think all the goals today were basically initiated off spontaneous play. The set offense and defense - everything drawn up by the coaches - seemed to generate nothing. Sometimes I think they'd do alright with a defense that's PK + 1 and an offense that's lob and chase (not dump).

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Agreed re: scratching Meier for a game. Hertl doesn't look confident out there, and it's impacting his game big time. Marleau doesn't belong in an an NHL lineup and should be on that 4th line at best since he's chasing the record. Donato seems to play better with quicker/more skilled players like Couture and Labanc, so I can see why he'd struggle with a possession-heavy forward like Hertl. I think if the third guy on that line is a skilled forward like Leonard, Blichfeld, or Chmelevski instead of a boat anchor in Marleau, Donato would look better.
Hertl is a mess. Never seen him look so dejected after a shot off the post. Somethings not right with him right now.
Vlasic is hopefully spending the next 6 years on the bench. Please Boughber.
He truly doesn't even look good enough to be 3rd pair at this point. 2 goals against were the direct result of his suck.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

It is also really odd that despite that line being on the ice for no goals, they still get the least ice time in the third, besides Sasha for whatever dumb reason. Everyone knew that line was not going to work well with Marleau, no matter your opinion of him this year, and yet that line still gets punished for doing pretty much what everyone expected.

Donato has been one of the most consistently good forwards this year, so I get why you might try to put him with Hertl to get him going again, but why then strap Marleau to them. He is clearly not a top 6 forward this year. Then on top of that Donato has a rough game, and instead of trying to get him back with linemates he is actually good with, or at least getting him on some other shifts in the third while you bench Hertl/Marleau, you punish him for your own dumb decision to change his line in the first place. NHL coaches really annoy and confuse me sometimes.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Vlasic's been a rookie for three seasons, huh.

I'm not so impressed with Jones's shootout performance. He made the saves, got the win, and that's good. But, he clearly misread the shooters on both plays and was just able to recover to make the save. 80% of goaltending is properly reading and anticipating the play; 20% is having the moves to recover from mistakes and/or make the incredible saves.
Gibsons a better goalie and misread more shots in the shootout than Jones...
1 game? More like 47 for this season, 82 next season, 82 the season after that, 82 more, 82 more and finally 82 more.
The one thing pretty unanimously agreed upon on this board... Vlasic suuuuuucckkksss!
It is also really odd that despite that line being on the ice for no goals, they still get the least ice time in the third, besides Sasha for whatever dumb reason. Everyone knew that line was not going to work well with Marleau, no matter your opinion of him this year, and yet that line still gets punished for doing pretty much what everyone expected.

Donato has been one of the most consistently good forwards this year, so I get why you might try to put him with Hertl to get him going again, but why then strap Marleau to them. He is clearly not a top 6 forward this year. Then on top of that Donato has a rough game, and instead of trying to get him back with linemates he is actually good with, or at least getting him on some other shifts in the third while you bench Hertl/Marleau, you punish him for your own dumb decision to change his line in the first place. NHL coaches really annoy and confuse me sometimes.
I think they wanted Kane with Couture and Labanc to jump start him. Seemed to work. He had a pretty good game overall. Meier with Gamby and Gregor looked good for most parts of the game. Agreed about why you put Donato with Hertl. Just didn't work out the way they hoped.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dicdonya

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I really don't know what to say about this team anymore. Anytime they look decent it's almost immediately followed by prolonged stretches of bad play. At this point I'm waiting a few more games until rendering a final judgment but I have no hope left that we can be a good team. This isn't a good enough core up front and our defense can't actually defend. Our goalies can't bail us out. The fact that Anaheim looked better than us overall is sad since they are openly rebuilding. It's almost to the point where DW needs an intervention if he thinks we are 1 or 2 pieces away. It's the same Damm problems we have had all year.

1) What's happened with Hertl and Meier? They are supposed to be our best forwards but they just keep disappearing.

2) Vlassic.....just go away already.

3) Jones..... he's never gonna get above .900 average on the season again is he?

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Hertl is a mess. Never seen him look so dejected after a shot off the post. Somethings not right with him right now.

He truly doesn't even look good enough to be 3rd pair at this point. 2 goals against were the direct result of his suck.
I think he just wants to be with his new born, he should have opted out this season.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I really don't know what to say about this team anymore. Anytime they look decent it's almost immediately followed by prolonged stretches of bad play. At this point I'm waiting a few more games until rendering a final judgment but I have no hope left that we can be a good team. This isn't a good enough core up front and our defense can't actually defend. Our goalies can't bail us out. The fact that Anaheim looked better than us overall is sad since they are openly rebuilding. It's almost to the point where DW needs an intervention if he thinks we are 1 or 2 pieces away. It's the same Damm problems we have had all year.

1) What's happened with Hertl and Meier? They are supposed to be our best forwards but they just keep disappearing.

2) Vlassic.....just go away already.

3) Jones..... he's never gonna get above .900 average on the season again is he?
Hertl and Meier have no insulation now whatsoever. They’re it. Teams do not key in on Couture and Kane because they don’t drive play as well as Hertl and Meier. Hertl has had the benefit of playing in the shadow of Thornton and Pavelski, and Meier was an afterthought for most teams prior to the last two years. Now they’re getting tougher matchups, and the lack of talent around them is making them dejected and look awful.

The state of Vlasic’s play is just sad. I kept wondering if he was going to be benched in the third. Vlasic (17:29) ended up playing 8 fewer minutes than Ferraro (25:57) and only 2 minutes more than Simek (15:22.)

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Yeah, I mean given that Kane-Couture-Labanc and Gregor-Gambrell-Meier were working decently well while Donato-Hertl-Marleau was a dumpster fire, you'd think the logical conclusion would be to swap Marleau and Chmelevski...Boughner makes some interesting lineup decisions sometimes.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I think he just wants to be with his new born, he should have opted out this season.
As the proud poppa of a 3 month-old, I can't imagine being away from home during his first few months of life. I really feel for the new dads on the team. No sleep and guilt for days.
I can totally sympathize with that. I have a business where I can take jobs in other parts of the country, usually nice places. I turned down every job that had me traveling over night until my youngest was 5. I had no interest in being away from the kids.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, I mean given that Kane-Couture-Labanc and Gregor-Gambrell-Meier were working decently well while Donato-Hertl-Marleau was a dumpster fire, you'd think the logical conclusion would be to swap Marleau and Chmelevski...Boughner makes some interesting lineup decisions sometimes.
Didn't Gregor get put on the 4th line late and Chem moved to play with Gamby and Meier? Maybe it was in the middle of a line change. I think Hedican mentioned it though.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Probably true but the point stands. Odd thing though, I thought Jones used to be awful in shoot outs. Am I misremembering?

Since 2014-15 Jones is 14-7 in shootouts, which is a record that places him alongside goalies like Vasilevskiy, Gibson, Hellebuyck, Price, Crawford, so pretty good. Also among goalies with at least 10 SO games during that time frame he is 9th best in SO SV% lol.

He has had a year or two during that time when his record was poor but most years he seems to be pretty good in them, and despite his recent struggles has not lost a SO all last season or so far this one.

So yeah seems he is pretty good overall in the shootout for whatever reason. Someone above said we should trick him into thinking its the SO always, looking at his comparison to others on the SO I would say that is a good idea haha.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement

One DVR viewing, a couple naps, and a few sick skills contest moves later, we have no SNOG.

(Well, we didn't have a SNOG anyway even before OT. But whatever.)

snogwin.jpg

#Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Jan. 14 at CoyotesCasSharks 4-3 SO
2Jan. 16 at CoyotesnoneCoyotes 5-3
3Jan. 18 at BluesnoneBlues 5-4
4Jan. 20 at BluesnoneSharks 2-1 SO
5Jan. 22 at WildnoneWild 4-1
6Jan. 24 at WildMunnyroSharks 5-3
7Jan. 26 at AvalanchenoneAvs 7-3
8Jan. 28 at AvalanchenoneAvs 3-0