GWT: Premier League Round 30

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Lee Young-Pyo and Park Ji-Sung were both exempt after SK’s run in the 02 WC. Both went to PSV after the WC but had been playing domestically in SK.

They were exempted based on the 2002 world cup. Son currently has no national accomplishments to speak of that are remotely close to that.

That team finished 4th in the world cup on home turf. That's a massive overachievement for them.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
LITN is correct, Asian countries are super hardcore when it comes to citizenship like allowing to have only just one country compared to America and Western Europe which normally allows two. I've read stories where Japanese-American ex-pats wanted to become Japanese citizens since they loved Japan and had to relinquish USA citizenship to become Japanese citizens to potentially stay in the country. Now though, majority of people get marriage visa's and are able to stay in the country that way. So in Son's case, he could potentially get rid of his Korean citizenship, gain a UK passport which will get rid of his military duty, and then marry a Korean women to stay in the country after he's done with football. Of course there could be anti-trust laws which prevent this.

Does Son's military assignment have to be done in years? What I mean is that Finland has required military participation and all NHL players have to do, which majority do in the offseason/summer months. I think Korea is much more strict than Finland is, but maybe he can split them up into semesters instead of years'.

Didn’t Alex Semin have to do something like that for the Russian military?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not sure if anyone mentioned but Ozil now the fastest player to 50 assists in the PL.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
They were exempted based on the 2002 world cup. Son currently has no national accomplishments to speak of that are remotely close to that.

That team finished 4th in the world cup on home turf. That's a massive overachievement for them.

Yeah I initially read Havre's comment as saying no SK star has had to face this yet to which I raised the point of the two- but after rereading I believe he meant no SK star has actually been forced to take a hiatus and serve.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Sterling really lucky that the Stoke defender didn't just take him high in the ankle. You're up 2 nil in the 77th minute and you're trying to play cheeky off a drop ball.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah I initially read Havre's comment as saying no SK star has had to face this yet to which I raised the point of the two- but after rereading I believe he meant no SK star has actually been forced to take a hiatus and serve.

Park Chu-Young was a star in the homeland sense, but obviously not in Europe. They went and shamed him into returning to do his service when he didn't want to.

spintheblackcircle

Incoming!
Mar 1, 2002
Dele Alli has scored in 30 PL games and Spurs have won 24 and drew 6 time.

That's a pretty good unbeaten streak. Milner has the longest streak at 47 matches.

Reactions: Fro

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I absolutely do not condone what Carragher did, but that interviewer went way too hard on him.

I completely agree. I can only imagine that it was that way because it was on Sky and he works for Sky. Being that serious it probably makes it easier to allow them to keep him in his job long term. Anyway, I laughed when she mentioned Vinny Jones.

What Carragher did is disgusting (and as an old friend made me aware, spitting in general is disgusting) but people get away with far worse and react far worse than that. Also though, who essentially chases someone down while they're both driving and starts heckling them? And with their 14 year old daughter in the car and while you're filming it? As bad as what Carragher did I actually find what the driver did far worse. Remarkably that Sky correspondent only referred to what the driver did as "banter".

Reactions: YNWA14

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Carragher explains that the worst part about it is spitting in the direction of a 14 year old girl, interviewers response is "it shouldn't matter who it was, there's no excuse for spitting"... then immediately follows it up with, "how would you feel if it was your daughter?". That's when I turn that garbage off.

The typical standard of Sky "journalism". I thought Kay Burley was as bad as it got, but clearly it's widespread at Sky.

Reactions: All Might

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Dele is tied for third in the league in assists and fourth in key passes this season. If only he could combine this with his goal-scoring form from last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->