GWT: Premier League Round 30

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Small chance?

Son won’t be sold unless he wants to leave.

And Spurs don’t need to sell anyone to pay Kane. It will limit funds to bring in new ones, but the club can easily pay him without selling.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
South Korea doesn't give military exceptions unless their athletes win Olympic medals. No exceptions. They're one of the most hardcore nations as it relates to conscription.

True. But they have never had a player like Son having to serve (not sure with athletes in other sports).

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
South Korea doesn't give military exceptions unless their athletes win Olympic medals. No exceptions. They're one of the most hardcore nations as it relates to conscription.
Kinda ridiculous if they won't make an exception for their best player, athletes have only small period of prime years.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
True. But they have never had a player like Son having to serve (not sure with athletes in other sports).

Kinda ridiculous if they won't make an exception for their best player, athletes have only small period of prime years.

They've had golfers do it. They just don't care. Even the guy with the stupid song from a few years ago had to do it, and so have some UFC fighters who were really good.

If Spurs were smart they'd let him go to the Asian Games in August-September to try to win a gold medal. Then he gets out of it.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

They've had golfers who are at least close to the same level as Son is as well as other celebrities.

They are looking to sign him to an extension by season end. As a player I think he is far from peaked.

His biggest issue is that when he comes back he'll be 28 and 2 years out of playing. Expecting him to immediately get back to the same level, much less surpass it, is dubious at best.

As LITN mentioned, their best best is to let him go to the Asian games for 3 weeks at the beginning of next season and hopefully win a gold.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A lot of empty seats at the Emirates, but was a pretty entertaining game overall. Glad that fans are starting to realise that empty seats is some of the best form of getting your voice heard.

It wasn't a pretty game by any stretch of the imagination, Watford had 4 to 5 really solid scoring chances. However, Arsenal was simply breathtaking going forward. Auba, Mkhitaryan, Ozil, and Elneny were simply unbelievable today. On the top of Auba, I would have bought a trip to London and slapped him if he got injured on that goal celebration. :laugh: Iwobi was really bad today, I mean he created chances, but looked dreadful in the final third. I don't know how he keeps getting starts, there is no way in hell he should be starting over Welbeck for instance. He should be currently starting in the reserves and coming off the bench as a sub, not the other way around.

I totally understand why Arsenal fancies Doucoure, he isn't a true #6, but he's like Xhaka only with a brain. Was superb against us today, a really physical and athletic BxB #8.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Lee Young-Pyo and Park Ji-Sung were both exempt after SK’s run in the 02 WC. Both went to PSV after the WC but had been playing domestically in SK.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah. I mean who knows what people were saying and obviously it would be a frustrating time but there's no excuse to spit on anyone. Pretty gross and unacceptable.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He should be sacked, but he was being harassed while driving down the road. People often have really strange reactions when that happens.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He should be sacked, but he was being harassed while driving down the road. People often have really strange reactions when that happens.
Yeah I don't know if it's the same in the UK, but I know in USA spitting is classified as assault. I actually quite like Carra and his knowledge about the game, but it's hard to defend him here. Instead of looking for revenge, he should have just got pissed and drove off, but in a mind of a roadrager anything is possible (it is a whole other beast).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
LITN is correct, Asian countries are super hardcore when it comes to citizenship like allowing to have only just one country compared to America and Western Europe which normally allows two. I've read stories where Japanese-American ex-pats wanted to become Japanese citizens since they loved Japan and had to relinquish USA citizenship to become Japanese citizens to potentially stay in the country. Now though, majority of people get marriage visa's and are able to stay in the country that way. So in Son's case, he could potentially get rid of his Korean citizenship, gain a UK passport which will get rid of his military duty, and then marry a Korean women to stay in the country after he's done with football. Of course there could be anti-trust laws which prevent this.

Does Son's military assignment have to be done in years? What I mean is that Finland has required military participation and all NHL players have to do, which majority do in the offseason/summer months. I think Korea is much more strict than Finland is, but maybe he can split them up into semesters instead of years'.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Recently, England rugby coach Eddie Jones - a rather edgy Aussie - was harassed, heckled and even physically jostled by drunken Scottish fans on the way back to London after England had lost to Scotland at Murrayfield. He certainly would have had more justification to do or say something about it than Carragher had and yet he didn't do anything. Took it very stoically.

Let's face it, Jamie Carragher just can't help it being a scouser from Bootle. Ironically his conduct shows that he is more in touch with the average fan than most sports media people. I'm not condoning it at all, but I'm sure British Transport Police could probably tell you that a lot of bad things can happen if rival groups of supporters mock each other on the way to or back from matches. Now spitting is rather gross and nasty, but to be fair, he could hardly kick the lad while driving his car. ;)

Reactions: YNWA14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad