GWT: Premier League Round 30

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
But it would be silly to be bitter about any of the calls. Both teams got away with a few fouls.

Liverpool were beaten by the same direct play. Twice.
Yeah I mean Liverpool came on in the second half. I think they at least draw this game with a fit Henderson. Not the worst thing in the world, but need to root for Spurs to beat Chelsea now. Hard to make the argument that Liverpool should have won today.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If you actually think that then you really don't know the rules of football.
Clearly the difference between a penalty in Salah's case is that he goes down or not? No, you're not allowed to grab all over him and impede him on the ball in the box the way Young did.

Also yes, that arm was away from the body on Robertson's cross and he had more than enough time to move it. It was certainly not the traditional "ball to hand".

Both were clear penalties, not to mention many other things but it is what it is. United are garbage though and Sevilla will knock them out of the CL.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Clearly the difference between a penalty in Salah's case is that he goes down or not? No, you're not allowed to grab all over him and impede him on the ball in the box the way Young did.

Whether it should be or not, truth is that's the way it's called in today's game, even moreso in the PL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Also yes, that arm was away from the body on Robertson's cross and he had more than enough time to move it. It was certainly not the traditional "ball to hand".

Both were clear penalties, not to mention many other things but it is what it is. United are garbage though and Sevilla will knock them out of the CL.

By today's standards, you have to do more to get a penalty, there's so much grabbing that it takes more to get a penalty than what happened here. And also again, the ref couldn't have seen it because there were two bodies blocking his vision.

Valencia was running back and the ball hit his hand behind him when he was running. That counts as ball hitting hand, not handball.

crymore.gif?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If they can't be second they should be fourth? What's the logic behind that exactly?
There’s no difference between 2nd and 4th. Especially because the 4th place team won’t need to be in a playoff to qualify this season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
By today's standards, you have to do more to get a penalty, there's so much grabbing that it takes more to get a penalty than what happened here. And also again, the ref couldn't have seen it because there were two bodies blocking his vision.

Valencia was running back and the ball hit his hand behind him when he was running. That counts as ball hitting hand, not handball.

crymore.gif?
I don’t think either were penalties for the record, but “today’s standard” doesn’t really come into play with Pawson. He gave that horrible penalty in the Everton game and the way that he called the first half was completely different from the way that he called the second half. Also I don’t buy the ref was blocked point When linesman have called penalties against Liverpool this season as well.

But the ref is not why Liverpool lost.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Disappointing, but shows Liverpool need to do some improving.

I feel Can not supporting Lovren with Lukaku in the first half is the story. But I think there are a few parts who tried to do too much or weren’t experienced enough to do what they needed. Keeper looked lost on the second goal for United. They still should buy a keeper and a defender in the summer. Clyne’s fitness is also important, as I think he shackles Rashford and eliminates some flubs both AA and Gomez have had this season. I’m also fine if they retool the midfield. Can does a lot right, but he looks tired. He never is blessed with pace, and he looked spent today. They at least need cover for him. Ox tried to do too much, and were Gini or Henderson fit, he wouldn’t have started for me.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
There’s no difference between 2nd and 4th. Especially because the 4th place team won’t need to be in a playoff to qualify this season.

Aha, so it's about making the gap down to fifth bigger? I guess so, though it seems unambitious :P

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They missed Henderson BAD today. There was no reason he should have played against Porto. I don’t think it’s hindsight to say it was a mistake; he can’t play twice a week let alone three times.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Aha, so it's about making the gap down to fifth bigger? I guess so, though it seems unambitious :P
Gotta be in the CL to win in. City has first locked up. Just get in. I’d obviously be happier to finish 2nd or 3rd, but would gladly settle for 4th.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Fredrik Ljungberg said in Swedish TV that he doesn't like the handball rule, and I have to agree with him. So confusing. He couldn't say if it was handball or not which isn't right. Air between arm and body should be a penalty imo. KISS, keep it simple stupid.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Fredrik Ljungberg said in Swedish TV that he doesn't like the handball rule, and I have to agree with him. So confusing. He couldn't say if it was handball or not which isn't right. Air between arm and body should be a penalty imo. KISS, keep it simple stupid.

I think the rule is pretty straight forward as is.

It requires a deliberate action by the defender. That includes leaving or putting your arm in an unnatural position or not moving it out of the way when there’s time to avoid it.

The Valencia call is close, but his arm in in a natural position given that he was running and trying to stretch his foot out to block a cross in front of him, and it was a hard hit cross which gave him less time to read the ball and it was an awkward move to avoid it.

Any reasonable handball rule will have grey area.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Liverpool had 0 shots on target in the 2nd half. Looks like Jose still has 'it'.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The only two players that played really well were Firmino and Robertson. Mane and Salah were shockingly bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->