GWT: Premier League Round 27

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The amount of flak I received at the beginning of the season for my valuation of Arsenal though...and that was before they bought Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan.

Lacazette better than Firmino and Salah though...

Anyway like I said before. Arsenal fans just need to temper their expectations for the foreseeable future. They're not in a good place atm and don't have the money a team like United or City do to just pay their way through it.
Arsenal is a better team than Liverpool was all those years you kept predicting a top 4 finish.

Reactions: Evilo

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You got flak for saying Arsenal might finish 7th, which was, and is, ridiculous. No one expected/predicted (whichever you prefer) Arsenal to finish top 4, but we did have realistic hopes for it.
Actually the vast majority of what I got flak for was saying that I didn't think that Arsenal would be competing for top 4 and highlighted their poor squad, coach, as well as being very confident that Liverpool were better. The whole Everton over Arsenal thing was mostly a joke and intended to ruffle a few feathers (can you find a single spot where I seriously debated Everton being better than Arsenal?) At the end of the day it's literally the only thing they've been hanging on and ignoring all the actual pertinent arguments I made as to why Arsenal were not a threat or a competitor for the top 4 this season (which have all come true).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You don't need to be salty because your being called out for your poor evaluation of Lacazette.

It's just ironic, and predictable, that you're calling out certain posters for being childish when coming up with dumb nicknames for Lacazette... yet you're throwing insults normally heard in preschool.

Keep up the great work mademoiselle
Gold !

Wrong in my evaluation?
Hardly.
First because you don't evaluate on half a season (with only two ba months out of 5). And second because I said from the beginning I had my doubts about Lacazette succeeding with Arsenal, as you can see if you manage to find the search button and sto ptalking out of your ass about my "evaluation".

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Players like Lacazette are only going to be as good as the chances they get. If they don't get any and the player supposed to be giving them to him signs a new contract when not giving him chances, the player probably won't be that good.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He's had plenty of chances. He's not finishing.

Lacazette is 10th in goals. It sounds more like some Arsenal fans think every player they get is going to be Ronaldo. You see it with them complaining that Sanchez couldn't drag their sorry team far enough and you see it this season too. You'll see it when Auba can't score 40 goals for them either, and I guarantee he won't. Lacazette also has a higher shots on target percentage than basically every player with more goals. And he's not playing with an Eriksen or Alli who can just give him loads of chances, nor does he have the speed of Salah to make his own chances or another forward like Firmino giving him the ball constantly. Ozil unfortunately couldn't hold de Bruyne's jock straps either.

It seems that he has done what can be expected of someone playing in a team barely above average with a bad manager. I think the other player they wanted was Morata and he has a grand total of one more goal than Lacazette.

The point is of course he's going to miss chances because everyone misses chances. I think Salah has the most missed even though he has all those goals. Strikers have to be given the chances to begin with and unless you have something like sprinter speed where they can pass you bad balls you get anyway to compensate for that, those chances are going to be reliant upon the players you're playing with. #9 is a pretty difficult position to begin with. They're all not going to be as good passing it as Firmino or a finisher like Kane/Cavani/Lewandowski so it's imperative a player who is just a big finisher gets enough chances to score 30 goals in the first place. He definitely hasn't, he's only had 57 shots. That ranks 12th in the league. Choupo-Moting only has one less.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
His xG/90 is also pretty low for a striker playing at a top team btw. Giroud, Jesus, Kane, Aguero, Austin, Salah, Morata, Sterling, Sakho, Niasse, Okazaki all rank higher among players who have played a lot.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Players like Lacazette are only going to be as good as the chances they get. If they don't get any and the player supposed to be giving them to him signs a new contract when not giving him chances, the player probably won't be that good.

I don't agree...

He has to get opened, he has to create the opportunity for his teammate to give him that pass and he has to stop being offside every other offensive rush.

If his game is to do nothing and wait for a perfect pass, we shouldn't of bought him in the first place.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Weird, he was the only guy who got opened in this game and yet got blamed for the loss by highly smart individuals.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
For the first time since I've become a football fan, Spurs have a bench worthy of a great team. The following players didn't start today:

Aurier, Rose, Wanyama, Sissoko, Lamela, Moura, Alderweireld, Winks

That's great depth and they are healthy. Love how they are playing going back into CL play.

I agree. Today arguably 3 out of our best defenders didn’t play. Which is why I think it would be wrong to rush Alderweireld back in (or we can at least afford to wait a couple of extra days).

Spurs got the depth of a trophy winning team. Do lack some top talent though. Today. In midfield and attack Dembele (when match fit -as he is now), Eriksen and Kane are good enough to play against any. Dier, Alli and Son are good, but compared to what the very best got they aren’t good enough. They are all “youngish” so they might take that next step still, as we need one Modric or Bale to supplement what we got before Spurs are a real threat to the top teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->