GWT: Premier League round 26

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Managers who treat their players the way Conte and Mou do burn through clubs very rapidly.

I don't think anyone else was watching the reserves game but the Spurs player was asking for it, there were other incidents leading up to that. Also they shouldn't change the rules just because a Liverpool player did something bad even though that's happened before. Lallana won't and shouldn't be banned from real games, and obviously he shouldn't have been sent off, but that wasn't the only thing that happened.

Yea if the FA hasn't been enforcing lower bans at the senior level then he shouldn't miss any games. It's a definite red card, but nothing so severe that you'd need to go against precedent for it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool let Coutinho go to Barca so Deulofeu could take points off of Chelsea.

I get it now. 4D chess from Michael Edwards

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Chelsea problem has been that all of their signings last summer have relatively failed to some extent. No idea what happens from that point but their team looks incredibly ordinary and the window is shut.

Plus Conte sent their second best player away to Spain.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Conte gonna be left in Watford at the station.
Conte wants centerback, do not provide. Cahill is responsible for 5 of the 6 we have conceded in the past two games.

Conte wants Walker and Sandro. Instead we get Zappacosta and don't sign a LB until January.

Conte wants a box to box midfielder and he doesn't want Matic to be sold. We sign Drinkwater last minute for 40 million, loan out RLC and end up starting Bakayoko game after game.

Wants another striker as we only have two, and we continue to bench Bats in favor of the horrible false 9.

Overall lack of squad depth.

Chelsea need to stop sacking managers. We didn't supplement the squad for Mourinho, and we failed to do it AGAIN for Conte!

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s also a squad that needed some freshening up and didn’t get it. Lot of matches on the tires of some of those players.

I guess Hazard will be in Real this summer

Reactions: Peen

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Probably thinking it's U23s and just not caring tbh

No he was thinking that the little :eek::eek::eek::eek: was fouling him all game and just got a yellow card for a bad challenge on him. The referee had also called their captain over to tell the players to stop making bad challenges. Then the little :eek::eek::eek::eek: elbowed him in the head and he lost it. Lallana is just returning from injury so it's easy to see how this happens, but the red card was totally deserved.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Conte wants centerback, do not provide. Cahill is responsible for 5 of the 6 we have conceded in the past two games.

Conte wants Walker and Sandro. Instead we get Zappacosta and don't sign a LB until January.

Conte wants a box to box midfielder and he doesn't want Matic to be sold. We sign Drinkwater last minute for 40 million, loan out RLC and end up starting Bakayoko game after game.

Wants another striker as we only have two, and we continue to bench Bats in favor of the horrible false 9.

Chelsea need to stop sacking managers. We didn't supplement the squad for Mourinho, and we failed to do it AGAIN for Conte!
For what it’s worth, I’m also not sure Chelsea have the balance sheet to go out and get a top level player after they’ve blown a bunch of cash. If Roman isn’t pumping dollars into the club, their balance sheet is pretty average.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Conte doesn't want depth. He was mad just a few days ago because the Chelsea board used their money to buy quantity instead of quality.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

I agree with the overall premise of this post, but I also believe it is impossible for a manager to replicate consistent intensity the way those two want it for multiple years.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I agree with the overall premise of this post, but I also believe it is impossible for a manager to replicate consistent intensity the way those two want it for multiple years.
I really don't think his system is that intense. Our forwards never press high. The only players who really have to press continuously are the midfield two, and then occasionally Moses. They never push Alonso because he's slow to cover back when he goes up.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Conte doesn't want depth. He was mad just a few days ago because the Chelsea board used their money to buy quantity instead of quality.
This is taking one quote and ignoring the bigger picture of the whole season and other things Conte has said.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Deulofeu chose a good night to have one of his classic unplayable games.

Probably won't hear about him anymore this season.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I also think his system isn’t cut out for the EPL over the long haul. 3 at the back is exploitable if you don’t have defenders or talented wingbacks. Throw in a striker not being great and it’s a problem.

At some point, the system was going to need some changing.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
No they need a better finisher, one as good as Diego Costa. His system works.

I really don't think his system is that intense. Our forwards never press high. The only players who really have to press continuously are the midfield two, and then occasionally Moses. They never push Alonso because he's slow to cover back when he goes up.

It's not so much the system as his personality. He is extremely intense and has a habit of screaming at players. Was lucky enough to be sitting right behind him when he was doing it last preseason.

Their tactics are actually pretty good if you consider that they still score goals without a quality striker and quality box to box midfielder. Fabregas looks way past it and Bakayoko's been very poor. If Conte goes their season is over IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad