GWT: Premier League Round 16

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Refs have a much better understanding of the game than you and I do.
And as I said, they don't have replays.

If you can't see how from where the ref is it's a pretty obvious penalty, then YOu don't understand the game.
You keep on saying it's a bad call with the replays and different angles.
Except for some biased Pool fans, pretty much everyone would call it a pen in live action from where the ref was (and he was good positionned too per ref standards).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I definitely don’t agree that it was a penalty after seeing it from multiple angles. But after seeing it from the back angle where the ref is, it really does look like a penalty and I 100% see why he called it because it does look like Lovren shoves him.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
found it here Video: Dejan Lovren controversial penalty foul vs Everton! | Witty Futty scroll down and the clip shows the penalty shot first then a few different replays of the foul. I'd say it looks slightly worse than I thought at the time, but it still looks more like CL runs into Lovren
Thank you. I thought I posted this yesterday but I guess I didn't.

From the angle of the ref, I can certainly see why it was called a penalty. Lovren extends his left (I believe) arm and does give CL a bit of a shove. Sure, CL makes the most of it, but you can't do that in today's game. From the reverse angle, you can see that CL kinda went into Lovren more and the push wasn't a lot, but from the ref's angle, it certainly looks like a penalty. Is it a soft one? Yes, I think so. But I still think it's not a bad call, just harsh.

Admittedly, if this had happened against Arsenal, I would be frustrated as well, so I understand where Liverpudlians are coming from, but I still think it's a valid penalty call, albeit weak.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
i have heard on this forum that those things balance out though :D

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There is no push.

It kind of dawned on me how embarrassing the state is of soccer in England though, and I guess in this discussion. Who's out there (besides some fans) talking about how CL shouldn't be diving and how it's embarrassing for the game and it's still something that needs to be addressed with retroactive bans and so on, or that refs need to do a better job of seeing through the nonsense (the ball was well ahead of CL, he was running away from the net, there was literally no reason for Lovren to push him over and he didn't, anyone with a brain could see that) and that Liverpool was jobbed? No, instead of looking at the actual problem people are saying 'Lovren shouldn't give him the chance to dive, he's dumb' and my personal favourite, that Big Sam performed a 'masterstroke' at Anfield...yeah, because sitting back with 10 men, having 20% possession of the ball, and the only chance they had to score came from a dive running away from the net with no men forward...what a masterstroke. Very typical of English football though -- they celebrate the defensive teams as though fighting for your life not to lose is some kind of achievement. Mind numbing idiocy. The amount of money that United and Everton have spent and the way that they approached the games this weekend is beyond comedic.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
There was pretty clearly a push. You can see Lovren’s arm extending. Just because he shouldn’t doesn’t mean he didn’t. Did CL go down easily? Absolutely. Should that be punished? Maybe? Perhaps Lovren shouldn’t extend his arm through CL’s back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad