GWT: Premier League Round 16

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
That was never a penalty. Never.

Let me be clear about this, just in case someone isn't sure - putting your hands on a player is NOT a foul.
It increases the risk of a cheating git like Calvert-Lewin diving and faking (wasn't exactly his first time, for example his acting vs ManCity got Walker sent off) but it is NOT a foul.

Again, placing your hands on an opponent (without force, without pulling or shoving) is not a foul. Might not be smart, but its not a foul.
It doesn't excuse diving or cheating, and it shouldn't.

I'm old school like that too, and I hate the "there was contact" justification for giving penalties. Just because there was contact doesn't make it a foul.

Except in the modern game it does. And given that's how it is these days, that was dumb ass defending. Attacker is going away from goal, there is no danger, and you bump into the back of him. You do that, you are giving the ref an opportunity to give a peno against you. Every pundit I've heard since yesterday (even ex Liverpool players) say it was a peno and that CL was right to go down.

Reactions: Chimaera and Evilo

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
It was a harsh call. But if your opponents only have 20% of the ball and you put them in a position to dive and win a penalty, they will.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I'm old school like that too, and I hate the "there was contact" justification for giving penalties. Just because there was contact doesn't make it a foul.

Except in the modern game it does. And given that's how it is these days, that was dumb ass defending. Attacker is going away from goal, there is no danger, and you bump into the back of him. You do that, you are giving the ref an opportunity to give a peno against you. Every pundit I've heard since yesterday (even ex Liverpool players) say it was a peno and that CL was right to go down.

Well then the pundits are wrong. Or stupid and can't apply logic to arguments.

A guy going down and cheating may be smart (or dumb of the defender to place a hand on him), but it is still not a foul.
It was also horrible reffing, there was no danger to the goal and in those situations it needs to be 100% clear there was a shove, or shirt pulling etc.
There wasn't and it wasn't, yet Pawson called it.
FWIW, I think Craig Pawson is a mediocre referee (at best) and the quality of reffing in the EPL has plummeted down over the last couple of years.
They (the refs) are fortunate to not have the players in their faces the whole time like in La Liga, or the crowd on their backs - then they would actually be on the reputation level of La Liga refs.
Clattenburg may be a pompous git, but the guy is (on most nights) a ref on a level that Pawson and his like will never come close to.

EPL needs VAR, they are being stubborn and are thinking of themselves better than Serie A or Bundesliga. And despite early hiccups, VAR is proving to be a massive success in both league, and a significant amount of points has already been prevented from going the wrong way due to bad ref decisions.

Honestly, the easiest test of this stuff is to imagine you're playing a 5v5 game with your mates. Noone will dive, noone will have to dive.
If its a foul, where you're impeded by your buddy on the opposing team, you'll call it and they'll agree.
But if you call a foul for what Lovren did there, everyone will laugh at you. Rightly so.

Also, it'll be quite interesting to see whether DCW gets a suspensions for cheating / deceiving the ref.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Honestly, the easiest test of this stuff is to imagine you're playing a 5v5 game with your mates. Noone will dive, noone will have to dive.
If its a foul, where you're impeded by your buddy on the opposing team, you'll call it and they'll agree.
But if you call a foul for what Lovren did there, everyone will laugh at you. Rightly so.

While I agree with you, the nationality of who you're playing with comes into play with this point :laugh:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Every pundit didn't say it was a penalty.

Heck, Neville, probably one of the most biased viewers possible, said it wasn't a penalty, and that it was soft at best.

I'm ok with it, it is what it is, the balance of the ledger should hold fair in the long run, and you put yourself in that situation by putting your hands on the players back, but it was a poor call.

Everton were awful. They stole a point.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Oh and Jose is funny. His act is so tired, but he knows his team is not good enough.

Maybe Lukaku should worry about scoring on the pitch instead of punching or kicking players.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Defenders spend 90% of the game with their hands on attackers. That's a ridiculous justification. Also yeah...most pundits said very clearly that it was not a penalty...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In live action you feel Lovren bumps into the guy's back. Without any reason. 50/50 call but not ridiculous.
Replays indeed show the player goes towards Lovren. But as I said, Lovren is guilty for stupidity.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What is Lovren guilty of exactly? He didn't make any contact -- that was CL. He was running and sticking tight to his man. There is no push or arm extension at all. He puts his hands on him, as does every other defender on the planet when sticking tight to their mark, and as soon as CL feels it he drops to the ground. I could show you clips of how all game CL was battling with the CBs and holding his own -- but it wouldn't make a difference.

Lovren makes his fair share of mistakes but it's almost like a curse at this point because even when he does nothing wrong (in this case, he was just defending tightly and well) he gets punished and then attacked by fans. Lovren's been great actually since returning to the team and he should have no responsibility for this goal at all. He was left 1 on 1 with his marker, stayed tight to him as he should, didn't commit a foul and was punished by a dive that was obvious to anyone watching the game. If he hadn't stayed with him and CL was able to round him, or cut back and tee someone up or make a cross everyone would have been crying that Lovren didn't defend it well enough, was out of position, etc.

It's over and time to move on but it was an appalling call, and Lovren ends up the scapegoat again through no fault of his own.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
You can usually tell in these close calls if it's a penalty or not from the movement of the players. Both were moving away from goal at that point so no defender consciously fouls the attacker there and the incentive for the forward to dive dramatically increases (as the chance is basically dead). The ref's decision *can* be defended by the letter of the law, but it's pretty bad officiating in terms of making decisions with a feel for the game (and I think that's sort of what Klopp tried to get at). It's a bit like in football (the American variety) where you could technically call holding on every play but if a nothing hold gets called against you in a game-deciding situation you have every reason to feel wronged.

Just to be clear, Lovren was clumsy and had no need to even be up close, but let's be real here, playing tight and getting into contact isn't automatically a foul. Neither is causing contact and the opponent falling to the ground as a result. There's a zone of referee discretion there taking all aspects into account. The media are typically provocative knobheads in this situation because on the one hand they cry about diving all the time, on the other hand it's the mentality of 'contact means penalty' that helps encourage diving and yet they propagate that mentality when it suits them.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think it was a pretty weak call but far from a travesty and probably not even a top 10 bad call this year in the EPL.

But Lovren did plenty wrong that play. he may not deserve to be the scapegoat for getting the penalty called but that is another terribly played long ball by him and once again he lets an attacker get behind him easily in a threatening position.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s not a penalty but Lovren is nevergoing to get the benefit of the doubt on 40:60 plays like that. He can’t let the ref make a decision

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, it's not a penalty with replays and angles.
In live action, from where the ref stands, it's perfectly understandable he calls one. Because of Lovren's arms and the general directions of the bodies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
In live action, from where the ref stands, it's perfectly understandable he calls one. Because of Lovren's arms and the general directions of the bodies.

I know where arguing with you gets so I'm not going to, I just want to know what your position is because I feel like you've said two different things in the past two posts - one that it's because Lovren makes a bad play, another that it's understandable the ref made the call. The latter I can agree with, there is one angle where it looks like Lovren hip checks him, so sure I can see how the ref may have seen it like that. But to us it should be clear, or at least it seems to me, that the other player initiates the contact - they are both running to the left, Lovren is closing in, then the attacker shifts to the right and leans into Lovren, who puts his hands up, honestly as one does when another player runs into you, but it was all a trick and the attacker uses that to go flying. True, Lovren is at fault for letting the player get past him in the first place, if that's your point then I agree on that too.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Spot on. It's so easy to decide if it's a penalty or not by looking at angles the referee have no access to. Check out the replay at thirty seconds:

Image Hosting Made Easy

The referee is staring at the players backs from a good distance. From that angle and distance I'm not particularly surprised that a penalty was called. I found it relatively obvious that DCL would try cutting off Lovren so that he could shield the ball, cut it back easier and maybe force something stupid out of Lovren. I think Lovren could have handled the contact better, but I agree that DCL embelishes. I can name a lot of worse penalty calls from the past year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I know where arguing with you gets so I'm not going to, I just want to know what your position is because I feel like you've said two different things in the past two posts - one that it's because Lovren makes a bad play, another that it's understandable the ref made the call. The latter I can agree with, there is one angle where it looks like Lovren hip checks him, so sure I can see how the ref may have seen it like that. But to us it should be clear, or at least it seems to me, that the other player initiates the contact - they are both running to the left, Lovren is closing in, then the attacker shifts to the right and leans into Lovren, who puts his hands up, honestly as one does when another player runs into you, but it was all a trick and the attacker uses that to go flying. True, Lovren is at fault for letting the player get past him in the first place, if that's your point then I agree on that too.
Yes, the ref angle is clearly a good bet to call a penalty.
Where Lovren is making a mistake is that he had no business closing in like that on a play that wasn't dangerous. Striker used Lovren's position as a great chance to initiate contact and make it look like he was, as you said, hip checked.
It was a stupid play from him that fooled the ref in the end.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I can see how Pawson gets it wrong at reg speed but it's not a penalty with replay. Get VAR here now.

Mane's crazy decision to not slide the ball over to someone in a red shirt was what really cost them this game however. They may have gone on to a 5 0 win if he gets that one right.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The problem is that the ref has to be able to tell that the player is going to go looking for something like that in that situation. He should be damn sure that it's a penalty and not need people like Evilo stretching at far as they can to justify it. It was a bad call. Period. Never should have been called given the run of play and the situation. I don't care what angle he came from it was plain as day that it was not a penalty.

But anyway.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The problem is that the ref has to be able to tell that the player is going to go looking for something like that in that situation. He should be damn sure that it's a penalty and not need people like Evilo stretching at far as they can to justify it. It was a bad call. Period. Never should have been called given the run of play and the situation. I don't care what angle he came from it was plain as day that it was not a penalty.

But anyway.

So refs have to read minds now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad