GWT: Premier League Round 1

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well, Pep is probably the best manager in the world, but City shows that money basically still rules football. Sure we're dealing with some injuries, but just look at Arsenal's bench compared to City.

Arsenal's bench cost almost 100m.

City's bench cost 139m.

The difference in English football isn't money. It's that some teams know how to sign players and others don't. That's just the difference of one player.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Here's the actual quote, and he did suck today, although worst player is debatable as Arsenal had a couple of guys who were awful. I didn't read it as "this guy is a terrible player and will never improve" like you seemed to.
Yeah, he does that sometimes...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He had an awful game (though his work rate was commendable) and the circumstances are understandable. Did anyone say he would be a bad player or complete bust for Arsenal though?
I don't think he was that bad, but looked like a deer in headlights at times in the game. Xhaka and Ozil were more consistently bad and did nothing when going up the pitch. I just don't think it's fair to even criticize him against the opponent he played against. Sure, call him bad against the likes of Cardiff City, but not Citeh.

City's bench cost 139m.

The difference in English football isn't money. It's that some teams know how to sign players and others don't. That's just the difference of one player.
Not sure I agree (my valuation)...

Arsenal
- El Neny: 15 million
- Lacazette: 60 million
- Torreira: 25 million
- Litchtsteiner: 5 million
- Holding: 10 million
- Iwobi: 20 million
= 135 million

Man City
- Kompany: 5 million
- De Bryne: 90 million (should be more since Man United were going to pay 93 million for SMS)
- Sane: 60 million
- Otamendi: 17 million
- Jesus: 60 million
- Foden: N/A
= 232 million (without even including Foden)

I totally get that they bought some of these players when they were young, but that's what Emery wants to start doing. All the weaknesses you saw today were from all issues that plagued the team during the past 5-6 years under Wenger. Another aspect you need to realise is that these top prospect/players are not as reluctant to stay on the bench at Man City compared to Arsenal (high wages due to oil money + oil money buying titles).

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Here's the actual quote, and he did suck today, although worst player is debatable as Arsenal had a couple of guys who were awful. I didn't read it as "this guy is a terrible player and will never improve" like you seemed to.
When you say a player "sucks big time", it doesn't translate in "ouch he has a bad game".

Reactions: S E P H

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You are so right..
Liverpool are getting regelated.
They are lucky to be in the premier league.
All their players are barely championship level. Not to mention all the goals they score are because of pure luck.

What’s the point if this post?

Is stating that City has a better starting 11 and that KDb, Silva and Sane are top players so hard for you that you need to respond with such a whiney, garbage post like this?

Reactions: bluesfan94

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I totally get that they bought some of these players when they were young, but that's what Emery wants to start doing. All the weaknesses you saw today were from all issues that plagued the team during the past 5-6 years under Wenger. Another aspect you need to realise is that these top prospect/players are not as reluctant to stay on the bench at Man City compared to Arsenal (high wages due to oil money + oil money buying titles).

I was going by what they paid.

Is stating that City has a better starting 11 and that KDb, Silva and Sane are top players so hard for you that you need to respond with such a whiney, garbage post like this?

They don't, based on every time the teams have played. City also did not add to theirs. City does have better depth, which is what will make it so difficult for another team to beat them to the title.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I was also going to say about West Ham that Felipe Anderson is very likely going to be good in this league. He had some decent scenes, but Liverpool forced West Ham's attacks to start so deep he was pretty much playing against Gomez (who is showing massive potential at CB), Milner, and Alexander-Arnold all by himself. An impossible task.

I think they'll finish top half.

Reactions: YNWA14

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
They don't, based on every time the teams have played. City also did not add to theirs. City does have better depth, which is what will make it so difficult for another team to beat them to the title.

Well not every time since City beat them last year, but head to head is a bad way to judge which line-up is better City beat them by 25 points last year in the league and not just because of depth.

Yes Liverpool added and City didn't do much but their starting 11 is still easily better than Liverpools and yes I agree their depth is better as well.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

City's bench cost 139m.

I kinda agree. Arsenal's team is pretty expensive. When you sign guys like Mkhytarian, Aubameyang and Lacazette for big money you can't plead poverty. People talk about City's fantastic line-up but did Arsenal spend all their money on players they didn't figure to be fantastic? Let's not even talk about Ozil.

I don't see how Liverpool have more resources than Arsenal and yet Liverpool look so much better it's not even funny.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Because you have an obsession anti-liverpool.

Winning the league is hard and require composure as well as good players. Any team could win if they have the right element and luck (see leicester)

When somebody said that Liverpool and Man city should challenge for the title. You said Liverpool are clearly not even close to that level even though liverpool dominated and won the last 3 games they played against City. You have an obvious anti liverpool agenda from all your posts. Liverpool are not perfect and Manchester City depth and quality are clearly the best unless proven otherwise. That being said Liverpool have proved they can beat them in the past. It will be interesting to see how this season pans out. I'm personally never been more excited by a liverpool than this year and I've been following them since late 1990. I like all the addition and the team defensive play is day and night better than last year with the addition of Virgil Van Dijk.

Reactions: hersky77

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Because you have an obsession anti-liverpool.

Winning the league is hard and require composure as well as good players. Any team could win if they have the right element and luck (see leicester)

When somebody said that Liverpool and Man city should challenge for the title. You said Liverpool are clearly not even close to that level even though liverpool dominated and won the last 3 games they played against City. You have an obvious anti liverpool agenda from all your posts. Liverpool are not perfect and Manchester City depth and quality are clearly the best unless proven otherwise. That being said Liverpool have proved they can beat them in the past. It will be interesting to see how this season pans out. I'm personally never been more excited by a liverpool than this year and I've been following them since late 1990. I like all the addition and the team defensive play is day and night better than last year since the addition of Virgil Van Dijk.

I certainly have an anti-Liverpool view based on the club, players, manager and especially the fans, but that doesn't change the fact that Man City are flat out a better squad. You guys keep focusing on head to head as though that matters and as we saw last year that didn't matter a lick.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I kinda agree. Arsenal's team is pretty expensive. When you sign guys like Mkhytarian, Aubameyang and Lacazette for big money you can't plead poverty. People talk about City's fantastic line-up but did Arsenal spend all their money on players they didn't figure to be fantastic? Let's not even talk about Ozil.

I don't see how Liverpool have more resources than Arsenal and yet Liverpool look so much better it's not even funny.
Liverpool isn't a wealthier club than Arsenal, so there is no excuse there.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I was going by what they paid.

City added Mendy - much better than a lacklustre Delph.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I didn't get to catch the games this weekend as I was away, but it sounds like Arsenal was pretty bad today. Though it seems like a lot of people are overreacting to one game against the best team in the league (maybe Europe) in which Arsenal didn't start their entire best XI. I'd expect there to be more adjustments in both the XI and tactics over the next month or so.

That team passing was simply ****ing shambolic today, especially Xhaka and Cech. There was one play by Xhaka where he legitimately had four players open and passed it right to Sterling. Lol. Not only that, but the best passing player on the club has the work rate of an Elephant.

Ozil can cry fake racism all he wants, but 19 times he lost possession which was the highest of any player - complete criticism deserved. Not too worried, Man City is the best club in the EPL by far and we only have to play them one more time. Liverpool looked really good, but there is something about Man City's mental toughness which Pool doesn't have - Reds are too jittery for me.

Again, I didn't catch the game, but I also saw that he won possession the most of any player (maybe Arsenal player?) on the pitch. Criticism of Ozil's work rate is generally lazy analysis, and hopefully we'll see him firing on all cylinders next weekend.

City certainly has a better XI and overall squad than Liverpool, even if Liverpool matches up well with them head-to-head. City is built to win the PL with their tactics and depth, whereas Liverpool should fare better in cup matches and the CL against better teams. And that's not to say that Liverpool doesn't have an amazing squad and a shot at the title as well.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I didn’t say you pumped the defense. You sold over and over that the team improved. They haven’t. They have the same attack with the same passengers in midfield and many of the same culprits in defense. They’ll throttle some of the crap sides and get tonked by anyone worth anything.

Ozil is playing up front because he doesn’t put in the work in the midfield going back.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Liverpool isn't a wealthier club than Arsenal, so there is no excuse there.
I don’t know if wealthier, though Liverpool have made better use of their money. I mean, Liverpool kind of are richer at this point with CL revenues, advertising and their ability to sell players and develop them much better than Arsenal has of late. Arsenal has more match day revenue, but up until the last few seasons they’ve also had stadium costs.

The point of the two benches was proven when the poster used the valuations they felt, not what they paid. Sure, City spent a ton of money, but many of their purchases have gotten better when they got to City, largely due to development by the manager and scouting. Liverpool are doing the same, though they have certainly overpaid for some parts. Arsenal hasn’t improved many of their players like they used to and haven’t found the same buys they used to.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don’t know if wealthier, though Liverpool have made better use of their money. I mean, Liverpool kind of are richer at this point with CL revenues, advertising and their ability to sell players and develop them much better than Arsenal has of late. Arsenal has more match day revenue, but up until the last few seasons they’ve also had stadium costs.

The point of the two benches was proven when the poster used the valuations they felt, not what they paid. Sure, City spent a ton of money, but many of their purchases have gotten better when they got to City, largely due to development by the manager and scouting. Liverpool are doing the same, though they have certainly overpaid for some parts. Arsenal hasn’t improved many of their players like they used to and haven’t found the same buys they used to.
I wasn't disagreeing that Liverpool has made much better use of their money, they have, but Arsenal typically pulls in more revenue. The difference in revenue isn't huge though.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
didn't get up early to watch it..but highlights made me think Liverpool had a good day :nod:

hope they can keep it up and avoid any big or lengthy injuries this year

also Salah is just an amazing AMAZING player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad