GWT: Premier League Round 1

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by East Coast Bias, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    Arsenal's bench cost almost 100m.

City's bench cost 139m.

The difference in English football isn't money. It's that some teams know how to sign players and others don't. That's just the difference of one player.

2. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

Is that even a serious question?

3. Blender

Blender Registered User

Here's the actual quote, and he did suck today, although worst player is debatable as Arsenal had a couple of guys who were awful. I didn't read it as "this guy is a terrible player and will never improve" like you seemed to.

4. Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon Dybalascibar

Yeah, he does that sometimes...

5. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    I don't think he was that bad, but looked like a deer in headlights at times in the game. Xhaka and Ozil were more consistently bad and did nothing when going up the pitch. I just don't think it's fair to even criticize him against the opponent he played against. Sure, call him bad against the likes of Cardiff City, but not Citeh.

Not sure I agree (my valuation)...

Arsenal
    - El Neny: 15 million
    - Lacazette: 60 million
    - Torreira: 25 million
    - Litchtsteiner: 5 million
    - Holding: 10 million
    - Iwobi: 20 million
    = 135 million

Man City
    - Kompany: 5 million
    - De Bryne: 90 million (should be more since Man United were going to pay 93 million for SMS)
    - Sane: 60 million
    - Otamendi: 17 million
    - Jesus: 60 million
    - Foden: N/A
    = 232 million (without even including Foden)

I totally get that they bought some of these players when they were young, but that's what Emery wants to start doing. All the weaknesses you saw today were from all issues that plagued the team during the past 5-6 years under Wenger. Another aspect you need to realise is that these top prospect/players are not as reluctant to stay on the bench at Man City compared to Arsenal (high wages due to oil money + oil money buying titles).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  6. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

When you say a player "sucks big time", it doesn't translate in "ouch he has a bad game".

S E P H likes this.
  7. Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon Dybalascibar

It does when you only watched one game of his... he was beyond awful today. Context.

8. Baxterman

Baxterman Registered User

What’s the point if this post?

Is stating that City has a better starting 11 and that KDb, Silva and Sane are top players so hard for you that you need to respond with such a whiney, garbage post like this?

bluesfan94 likes this.
  9. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

Context indeed.

10. Live in the Now

Awards:
    I was going by what they paid.

They don't, based on every time the teams have played. City also did not add to theirs. City does have better depth, which is what will make it so difficult for another team to beat them to the title.

11. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Graham is probably the smartest fan on AFTV, tells you everything you need to know about Man City. 100 million spent simply on wingbacks even though Mendy is amazing.

12. Live in the Now

Awards:
    I was also going to say about West Ham that Felipe Anderson is very likely going to be good in this league. He had some decent scenes, but Liverpool forced West Ham's attacks to start so deep he was pretty much playing against Gomez (who is showing massive potential at CB), Milner, and Alexander-Arnold all by himself. An impossible task.

I think they'll finish top half.

YNWA14 likes this.
  13. Baxterman

Well not every time since City beat them last year, but head to head is a bad way to judge which line-up is better City beat them by 25 points last year in the league and not just because of depth.

Yes Liverpool added and City didn't do much but their starting 11 is still easily better than Liverpools and yes I agree their depth is better as well.

14. TheMoreYouKnow

TheMoreYouKnow Registered User

I kinda agree. Arsenal's team is pretty expensive. When you sign guys like Mkhytarian, Aubameyang and Lacazette for big money you can't plead poverty. People talk about City's fantastic line-up but did Arsenal spend all their money on players they didn't figure to be fantastic? Let's not even talk about Ozil.

I don't see how Liverpool have more resources than Arsenal and yet Liverpool look so much better it's not even funny.

15. JeffreyLFC

JeffreyLFC Registered User

Because you have an obsession anti-liverpool.

Winning the league is hard and require composure as well as good players. Any team could win if they have the right element and luck (see leicester)

When somebody said that Liverpool and Man city should challenge for the title. You said Liverpool are clearly not even close to that level even though liverpool dominated and won the last 3 games they played against City. You have an obvious anti liverpool agenda from all your posts. Liverpool are not perfect and Manchester City depth and quality are clearly the best unless proven otherwise. That being said Liverpool have proved they can beat them in the past. It will be interesting to see how this season pans out. I'm personally never been more excited by a liverpool than this year and I've been following them since late 1990. I like all the addition and the team defensive play is day and night better than last year with the addition of Virgil Van Dijk.

hersky77 likes this.
  16. Baxterman

I certainly have an anti-Liverpool view based on the club, players, manager and especially the fans, but that doesn't change the fact that Man City are flat out a better squad. You guys keep focusing on head to head as though that matters and as we saw last year that didn't matter a lick.

17. Blender

Blender Registered User

Liverpool isn't a wealthier club than Arsenal, so there is no excuse there.

18. Live in the Now

Awards:
    There's no point arguing with someone who said Ashley Williams is better than VVD. Literally the stupidest comment ever made here.

YNWA14, Big Kahuna and Chimaera like this.
  19. hersky77

hersky77 Registered User

And 9 others. Virgil was a brick today. Immense out there.

20. Cassano

Cassano nyeah eh

Software Engineer
    City added Mendy - much better than a lacklustre Delph.

21. KJS14

KJS14 Registered User

I didn't get to catch the games this weekend as I was away, but it sounds like Arsenal was pretty bad today. Though it seems like a lot of people are overreacting to one game against the best team in the league (maybe Europe) in which Arsenal didn't start their entire best XI. I'd expect there to be more adjustments in both the XI and tactics over the next month or so.

Again, I didn't catch the game, but I also saw that he won possession the most of any player (maybe Arsenal player?) on the pitch. Criticism of Ozil's work rate is generally lazy analysis, and hopefully we'll see him firing on all cylinders next weekend.

City certainly has a better XI and overall squad than Liverpool, even if Liverpool matches up well with them head-to-head. City is built to win the PL with their tactics and depth, whereas Liverpool should fare better in cup matches and the CL against better teams. And that's not to say that Liverpool doesn't have an amazing squad and a shot at the title as well.

22. Chimaera

Chimaera same ol' Caps

I didn’t say you pumped the defense. You sold over and over that the team improved. They haven’t. They have the same attack with the same passengers in midfield and many of the same culprits in defense. They’ll throttle some of the crap sides and get tonked by anyone worth anything.

Ozil is playing up front because he doesn’t put in the work in the midfield going back.

23. Chimaera

Chimaera same ol' Caps

I don’t know if wealthier, though Liverpool have made better use of their money. I mean, Liverpool kind of are richer at this point with CL revenues, advertising and their ability to sell players and develop them much better than Arsenal has of late. Arsenal has more match day revenue, but up until the last few seasons they’ve also had stadium costs.

The point of the two benches was proven when the poster used the valuations they felt, not what they paid. Sure, City spent a ton of money, but many of their purchases have gotten better when they got to City, largely due to development by the manager and scouting. Liverpool are doing the same, though they have certainly overpaid for some parts. Arsenal hasn’t improved many of their players like they used to and haven’t found the same buys they used to.

24. Blender

Blender Registered User

I wasn't disagreeing that Liverpool has made much better use of their money, they have, but Arsenal typically pulls in more revenue. The difference in revenue isn't huge though.

25. trostol

trostol Registered User

didn't get up early to watch it..but highlights made me think Liverpool had a good day :nod:

hope they can keep it up and avoid any big or lengthy injuries this year

also Salah is just an amazing AMAZING player