GWT: Premier League Matchday 37

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yeah I mentioned that...only for @Stray Wasp to tell us five years down the road how they spent all that money on awful buys with hiring Pardew as eventual manager after they fire Wagner because they're going to slip sometime in the next two seasons...

We're getting rid of our manager for a reason!
.....which is still better than getting relegated.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lol how bitter can someone get. It's better to celebrate not getting relegated with a weak squad than celebrate getting rid of the manager.
Never really celebrated getting rid of the manager as he went out not with a bang, but with a whimper. Go watch the tweet again, it's like they won a Cup. I have no problem cheering for a team who prevented from being relegated, but what they're doing is just pathetic.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think you got to look into football finances if you believe CL is more important than staying in the PL.

I guess the Icelandic fans are pathetic as well.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Never really celebrated getting rid of the manager as he went out not with a bang, but with a whimper. Go watch the tweet again, it's like they won a Cup. I have no problem cheering for a team who prevented from being relegated, but what they're doing is just pathetic.

I think it's way more pathetic you commenting on it when your team just got smashed. They get to stay in the top flight. You know most of their fans had never seen their team there at all?

As for the result itself, I was never worried. Liverpool will beat Brighton.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Huddersfield are none of these, only benefit for them in staying up is EPL's TV money.

For one thing, you say that as if it's something insignificant, while we all know it's far from it. But also, that's not the "only benefit" - being in the top league means your team is playing against all the top teams, the famous players, at the famous stadiums, on nationwide TV. It's a huge difference for the fans, for the players, for the town, for everyone. So much so that I'm not even sure why I have to explain it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Different expectations for different teams... a team like Huddersfield has 0 chance of winning the league or getting into the the top 6. He’ll I'd bet the majority of their fan base hasn’t seen Huddersfield play PL soccer, I mean coming into this season I don’t think many people had them staying up. For them not getting relegated is their equivalent of winning the title. You can’t compare them to someone like an arsenal or city.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Prior to last year Huddersfield Town's best season finish in 45 years was 8th place in the 2nd tier. Anyone who's watched English football over the last 20-30 years would have deemed Huddersfield a mid-table 2nd tier team *at best*. That's their ceiling - or so one would have thought. Them being in the Premier League is an astonishing feat in its own right..staying in is no smaller miracle than Leicester winning the league.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Prior to last year Huddersfield Town's best season finish in 45 years was 8th place in the 2nd tier. Anyone who's watched English football over the last 20-30 years would have deemed Huddersfield a mid-table 2nd tier team *at best*. That's their ceiling - or so one would have thought. Them being in the Premier League is an astonishing feat in its own right..staying in is no smaller miracle than Leicester winning the league.

Jesus... what peasants.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
First off, I've never celebrated fourth place. Second off, anybody who celebrates fourth place is dumb. Third off, making 4th place gives you enormous revenue funds for making the Champion's League, especially when the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, and Liverpool tend to make it thru the round of 16 gaining thirty-million pounds worth of money.

Huddersfield are none of these, only benefit for them in staying up is EPL's TV money.
You realize for a team that size the revenue they get by being in the PL could end up funding them for years right? This is enormous for them, everyone had them going down but somehow they survived.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Which resume would be better?

3rd in PL
semis of FA Cup
round of 16 of Champions League

4th in PL
round of 32 of FA Cup
lose in finals of Champions League

(edited)

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

3rd in PL
semis of FA Cup
quarters of Champions League

4th in PL
round of 32 of FA Cup

We only made the RO16, however it was a rather rough draw and it turned out to be an even pair of games. Not sure how Liverpool would have done with such a draw.

In the FA cup we struggled against minnows and Pochettino decided to throw away our largest chance of winning a trophy in a while.

It's still not certain that we finish ahead of Liverpool (which we have managed in seven of the past eight seasons), but I'm content with our league position either way.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

3rd in PL
semis of FA Cup

4th in PL
round of 32 of FA Cup

(edited)
Considering there is literally no difference between 3rd ard 4th in the PL this season and the FA Cup becoming more irrelevant annually, I'd definitely go with the deeper European run.

We only made the RO16, however it was a rather rough draw and it turned out to be an even pair of games. Not sure how Liverpool would have done with such a draw.

In the FA cup we struggled against minnows and Pochettino decided to throw away our largest chance of winning a trophy in a while..
If one of the criteria is going longer in the FA Cup, and we want to bring up how Liverpool would have done with Tottenham's draw in Europe, let's remind everyone of the teams Tottenham had to play in the FA Cup: Wimbledon, Newport County (forced replay), Rochdale (forced replay) & Swansea before losing to Man Utd.

Not exactly a murders row there either, and Tottenham probably wouldn't have gotten past City, (I am solely basing that on them losing twice to City in the league this season). So yeah I'll take the deeper European run.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
If one of the criteria is going longer in the FA Cup, let's remind everyone of the teams Tottenham had to play in the FA Cup: Wimbledon, Newport County (forced replay), Rochdale (forced replay) & Swansea before losing to Man Utd.

That's quite literally what I said. Their FA cup run was a tire-fire that shouldn't be a credit to the club.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's quite literally what I said. Their FA cup run was a tire-fire that shouldn't be a credit to the club.
Yes, that is what you said. Not what the initial theorist suggested. I quoted as such for organizational purposes

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

3rd in PL
semis of FA Cup

4th in PL
round of 32 of FA Cup

(edited)

There's no difference in prestige between 3rd and 4th in the league, so I would go with the CL final loss assuming they don't get embarrassed. If Liverpool lose in a historically large defeat or bottle it in a way that will be remembered for years (Gerrard slip) I would prefer Spurs season over that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There's no difference in prestige between 3rd and 4th in the league, so I would go with the CL final loss assuming they don't get embarrassed. If Liverpool lose in a historically large defeat or bottle it in a way that will be remembered for years (Gerrard slip) I would prefer Spurs season over that.
I mean...making a final > losing in the Ro16. Especially considering Spurs bottled it pretty hard against Juventus, who they were superior to.

I don't know why this comparison is being made now though. Both Spurs and Liverpool had pretty successful seasons this year I'd say. Both will likely finish top 4 in either 3rd or 4th (a bigger accomplishment this season than most of years past, given the competitiveness of the top 5), both outdid expectations in Europe (I would say the majority didn't even have Spurs making the Ro16, let alone topping their group) and both have bright futures if they can keep their teams together. I mean, I think most would take making the CL final over anything other than a PL title win, and if Liverpool somehow manage to win the CL it's kind of a dead discussion.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Fair enough. I think both sets of fans can be happy with their teams relative to previous years with this season. I also think expectations will be higher for both going into next season.

It's impossible to say anything before the transfer window, but I agree.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don´t know which one is the better, but I certainly would have taken that Liverpool-run in terms of entertainment (not knowing until after the fact that the team lost the final).

Personally I don´t think Liverpool would have managed top 4 playing at Wembley (or a similar situation in the Liverpool area). At the same time Liverpool are a better team than Spurs these days when they fire on all cylinders - which helps in a tournament like the CL (assuming you play well in the "right" matches).

Very pleased with how Spurs have managed to get top 4. Losing Walker became a bigger deal than it should have with Aurier being crap. Trippier has played well lately, but he has also been quite average for too many games. Losing Alderweireld to injury and then to Spain (I´m assuming) was costly. A bit similar situation with Rose. Dembele playing brilliantly away to Juventus, but bang on average for far too many games. Lloris having his worst season in England. That is 5 out of Spurs 7 best players (Kane and Eriksen being the others) either having been sold or having poor to average seasons. Add Wembley and Spurs have had a very very solid season all things considered. Not expecting next season necessarily to be that much better though - never good to make too many changes and Spurs got to do quite a lot this summer with Alderweireld leaving and possibly the likes of Rose and Dembele. So even if they haven´t contributed with a lot this season they still aren´t that easy to replace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad