Premier League Matchday 1

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Says here that Tierney supports Wigan

And you believe that? He must really like Rugby. That is a farce. Just like the ones that like the non-league teams. Yeah right.

But sometimes he is. So what do you think? 0-0 game, last week of the season, for the title. Is Tierney so bad a ref as to screw that up and hand Liverpool the win?
He certainly could. But that’s why he shouldn’t be at that game. There are other referees. Leicester played Brentford today.

Let’s try it this way -

So Serie A this season says that they will have a one game playoff if the top two teams are tied. If Tierney isn’t the best referee (or Paolo Tiernino), would you want him doing that game?

Your question is assuming that he is the only ref on the planet and it’s the only game on the planet.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
It's such a travesty seeing the great Manchester United look below average. They have shockingly lost all credibility and prowess over the past decade. They used to be feared, but are now laughed at.

The putrid smell of incompetency reeks all the way up to the doors of their executives. They've completely forgotten about what made them, and I wouldn't be surprised if they foolishly overspend on players that wont fit as usual.

They spent all summer chasing FdJ when they should have bolstered their abysmal squad. They spent a large portion of their money on bench players instead of strengthening the starting-11. They deserve what's coming to them - no European football next season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ok so I just watched our game, I can't wake up at 4:30 for games anymore and couldn't watch it yesterday either. Nunez is fantastic but if we don't buy another CM we won't win anything. We won two trophies last season but come the end of the season Thiago and Henderson are likely to look their age by then. If Thiago's out more than a week we have to buy one even more. I feel that we don't lose anything attacking wise with Mane gone, but even though we didn't lose a CM we will lose something come the end of it all.

Reactions: robertmac43

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ok so I just watched our game, I can't wake up at 4:30 for games anymore and couldn't watch it yesterday either. Nunez is fantastic but if we don't buy another CM we won't win anything. We won two trophies last season but come the end of the season Thiago and Henderson are likely to look their age by then. If Thiago's out more than a week we have to buy one even more. I feel that we don't lose anything attacking wise with Mane gone, but even though we didn't lose a CM we will lose something come the end of it all.
Don’t want to be doom and gloom but starting to feel that way with the midfield. It’s not mobile enough even when it is healthy. The young kids and very similar to each other and the veterans are very similar to each other. No one except Naby is in their prime. It’s a weird spot. Obviously they are waiting on Jude but either with Jude they will need 2-3 midfielders next summer anyway. They won’t get another Tchouameni style DM or even a controller this late in the window. Maybe they could do with another a guy that is more dangerous going forward though, maybe like a Paqueta, but it’s slim Pickings at this point and it’s extremely unlikely someone is coming until proven otherwise. But it’s tough when you don’t want to block a lot of your talent and you need to keep a place warm on the hopes of getting Jude. Henderson does not work as an 8 anymore either. He should only be playing 6.

But all that being said I didn’t feel as lousy on second rewatch. That being said they definitely need to make up those points against the bigger teams now. Namely they NEED to get more than six points against Chelsea/City/Spuds. Still a long way to go and City did lose their first game last season so we are ahead of that pace at least. Margin for error is so small though.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
And you believe that? He must really like Rugby. That is a farce. Just like the ones that like the non-league teams. Yeah right.

He certainly could. But that’s why he shouldn’t be at that game. There are other referees. Leicester played Brentford today.

Let’s try it this way -

So Serie A this season says that they will have a one game playoff if the top two teams are tied. If Tierney isn’t the best referee (or Paolo Tiernino), would you want him doing that game?

Your question is assuming that he is the only ref on the planet and it’s the only game on the planet.
I just realized that there are no referee from minorities: black, arabic, indian or other. Has there ever been a black referee in premier league history?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I just realized that there are no referee from minorities: black, arabic, indian or other. Has there ever been a black referee in premier league history?
Asking the wrong guy and don’t want to assume.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Watched every PL game except newcastle -v- nottingham, starting that now.
Best game so far I'd say was Arsenal -v- Crystal or Spurs - south hampton, but CP was quite awful.
Liverpool was lackluster but that was the biggest nail biter.
West Ham was dreadful. Basically withdrew after their opening possession. Didn't press Man City on the ball hardly one time. Ooof.
Mane was a beast... Liverpool is going to miss him.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If you want to talk about referees making bad decisions in important games, that's absolutely a discussion to be had.

Issue is that you keep bringing up Manchester every single f***ing time when that is entirely irrelevant to that discussion.
Guess what game Paul Tierney (WHTBFM) has next week? :)

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Until the Glazers sell. They don’t care about the on field product because they end the year making millions of dollars regardless of how we perform.
I mean, is it the Glazers with a heavy stare on De Jong at the cost of everyone else or the "football people" in charge? It seems the Glazers are more than happy to write a check and I have to think they'd be more than happy be it De Jong or someone else. The rot goes way deeper - obviously you could pin it on the owners ultimately since they're at the top of the chain, but there's a lot going on there to point the finger at.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean, is it the Glazers with a heavy stare on De Jong at the cost of everyone else or the "football people" in charge? It seems the Glazers are more than happy to write a check and I have to think they'd be more than happy be it De Jon at someone else. The rot goes way deeper - obviously you could pin it on the owners ultimately since they're at the top of the chain, but there's a lot going on there to point the finger at.
I mean the glazers set the tone for the culture of the entire club. If they wanted to culture to be better and successful you’d think that they’d make changes to benefit the club and find people that are actually good at their jobs. I mean ETH is probably a step in the right direction in terms of a manager helping the culture. But a club of our stature just recently hired its first DOF. It just fired it’s scouting network that’s been an abject failure for over a decade. There’s no sense of a plan or disappointment for the trajectory the club has been on for the last 10+ years. Obviously the club has done great on the financial and marketing side of things, but that’s to inflate the Glazers dividends not improve the club as a whole.

It’s been like this for well over a decade so it’s not going to change anytime soon.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean, is it the Glazers with a heavy stare on De Jong at the cost of everyone else or the "football people" in charge? It seems the Glazers are more than happy to write a check and I have to think they'd be more than happy be it De Jong or someone else. The rot goes way deeper - obviously you could pin it on the owners ultimately since they're at the top of the chain, but there's a lot going on there to point the finger at.

It makes zero sense to say “the rot goes way deeper” than the owners given they’re the ones who appoint and ultimately approve all of the structure of the club.

No, they aren’t (much any more) directing specific transfer business, if they’re the ones who installed the entire culture and system and sit back and watch it fail but don’t care about changing it as long as they keep getting their millions of dollars of dividends every year.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It makes zero sense to say “the rot goes way deeper” than the owners given they’re the ones who appoint and ultimately approve all of the structure of the club.

No, they aren’t (much any more) directing specific transfer business, if they’re the ones who installed the entire culture and system and sit back and watch it fail but don’t care about changing it as long as they keep getting their millions of dollars of dividends every year.
Which I noted. All I’m saying is they could be doing exactly what they’re doing right now without plunking the millions they do every year or hiring the most promising manager on the market. So there’s at least a passing interest in making the team better, they’re just more loyal to the “yes” men in place tasked with making that happen than tearing it down and finding a solution if it’s the last thing they do.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Dont think it has anything to do with the Glazers. Yes, they take money out of the club but they will be able to take even more money out if its a successful club. Which is why they have approved huge transfer and salary budgets.
The United saga just shows that the Premier League is the most competitive major league in the world currently and once you lose your way in such a competitive environment its really hard to get back to the top especially when you have an impatient fan base.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Dont think it has anything to do with the Glazers. Yes, they take money out of the club but they will be able to take even more money out if its a successful club. Which is why they have approved huge transfer and salary budgets.
The United saga just shows that the Premier League is the most competitive major league in the world currently and once you lose your way in such a competitive environment its really hard to get back to the top especially when you have an impatient fan base.
Why doesn’t it have to do with the Glazers? They’re the ones running the club? If they had issues with the clubs performance they’d have made changes to fix the issues.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Why doesn’t it have to do with the Glazers? They’re the ones running the club? If they had issues with the clubs performance they’d have made changes to fix the issues.
Such as hiring new coaches and then eventually hiring a DoF once changing coaches didn't result in improvements? It was a rational thought to think that SAF didn't leave much in terms of a succession plan of players. His last teams were fairly old. They tried a retool, then a bit more of a rebuild, and then a retool again, with different coaches along the way. Now they've seemingly gone to square 1. To be seen if it works.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The fish rots from the head.

there are worse owners than the Glazers but they have at the minimum been negligent about that literally crumbling infrastructure. I do believe a huge part of this is that they thought Utd was too big to fail and have acted as such.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Such as hiring new coaches and then eventually hiring a DoF once changing coaches didn't result in improvements? It was a rational thought to think that SAF didn't leave much in terms of a succession plan of players. His last teams were fairly old. They tried a retool, then a bit more of a rebuild, and then a retool again, with different coaches along the way. Now they've seemingly gone to square 1. To be seen if it works.
I mean the scouting and investment has been suspect since the Glazers took over. Rooney almost left over a lack of investment after Ronaldo left. And SAF had been wanting a DM since Hargreaves knees gave up on him. Then they started splashing cash to get the team on the right track again, but because they never had a DOF or any sort of footballing infrastructure it continually failed year after year.

They spent cash for sure I won’t argue that, but the Glazers have destroyed any sort of culture that was previously created. They finally got rid of the scouting department this last year, but it took 10-15 years to get rid of a scouting department that hadn’t positively benefited the club in years. And all the hires of late were guys who have been closely tied to everyone who’s made the club what it is currently, except for Ragnick who was brought in to supposedly help with a rebuild and was swiftly pushed out when he criticized how the club was run.

There’s problems at every single level of the club but it all starts with the Glazers. If they cared enough to make things work than they’d make changes that actually mean something.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
United are a money printing machine for the Glazers, who are effectively absentee landlords.

Very rough numbers, but United have a turnover of ~500M. ~£300M goes on wages and transfer fees, ~£100M on operating costs. The remaining £100M is interest payments and dividends for the Glazers.

They literally don't give a single damn about on-field success or winning trophies. They give the team enough of a budget to make them a top 6 (preferably top 4) team, and money printer goes BRRRRRRRR. They care not a jot how that budget is spent because money printer still go BRRRRRRR.

Fergie allowed them to paper over the cracks the last few years of his reign by overachieving with an aging squad of dubious quality. But ownership matters. I've seen that first hand as a Wings fan, and its not just about spending money (but that helps). Going from Mike Ilitch making a 20 year powerhouse, to dying of cancer Mike Ilitch determined to make the playoffs at all costs when the team needed rebuilding, to penny pinching Chris Ilitch. Ownership sets the tone of the whole organisation, and United's tone is the need to make money for the Glazers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad