GWT: Premier League: 4/8-4/9

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
2. They hired David Moyes

Ok. Your original claim was that it will be easy for the next manager to compete, the point is that it's also easy for there to be a slip when a long time and successful manager leaves, regardless of how good a team is set up.

When you add to that the fact that the old manager is basically the entire club (as Ferguson was at United) it makes it even harder for another manager to come in and step in.

Arsenal *could* hire the next great manager. They could also hire the next David Moyes.

3. They didn't give him any time.

Sure they didn't give him time, but maybe he's also just not a very good manager. It was United's first time finishing outside of the top 3 since 1991. It's understandable that people didn't think Moyes was the solution.

4. Then the season after they finished in a champions league spot.

Yes, in 14-15 they barely made it back to a CL spot, while also having disappointing seasons in the FA cup and the league cup. Then the next year they bombed out of the CL at the group stage and barely held onto 5th.

Just because Arsenal finishes out of a CL place doesn't mean they will be stuck in midtable hell.

There's a big difference between not competing for a title/not always in CL spots and midtable hell. I wouldn't say either United or Liverpool were in midtable hell, but apart from the miracle season 3 years ago, neither have competed for a title and neither have been remotely considered locks for the top 4 the last few years.

I'm not expecting Arsenal to suddenly become Stoke where they finish between 9th and 13th every single year, but there's plenty of room between Stoke and what Arsenal are right now.

1. United had an aging core.
And look at the age of Ramsay, Wilshere, Xhaka, Bellerin, Ox, Iwobi, etc. if you're talking about young up and coming team.

Ages: 26, 24, 24, 22, 23, 20

Now let's look at United in Ferguson's last season.

Rooney, Nani, Kagawa, Chicharito, Jones, deGea, Welbeck, Smalling.

Ages: 26, 25, 23, 24, 20, 21, 21, 22. They also had van Persie, Vidic, and Evra just like Arsenal has Sanchez, Ozil and Giroud

The core of Arsenal you listed is neither young nor elite.

A young core would be like Spurs have. Kane, Alli, Son, and Dier, all 24 or under. If you expand it to 25 you add Eriksen, Lamela, and Wanyama. Rose and Walker are 26 (soon 27)

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I really don't know what point you're trying to make anymore.

The point is people are overreacting and saying Arsenal won't sniff top 4 for years.

But yet overrate Spurs for example when Arsenal did exactly the same thing they're doing for much longer.

Arsenal will be among the top English teams competing in the EPL because they have a solid structure in place. Of course they can go completely insane and hire someone like Roy Hodgson which will destroy my argument.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The point is people are overreacting and saying Arsenal won't sniff top 4 for years.

"United post-Ferguson or Liverpool post-Benitez"
"if either Chelsea or Spurs go in for one of Arsenal's targets who decided their reason for going to Arsenal was to play in London, those two clubs will have something to offer that Arsenal can't"
"6 clubs for 4 spots now, and that's if Everton doesn't find a way to sneak in there"
"No more sure things in the EPL."

That's what people said. No one said they won't sniff the top 4 for years, but expecting them to keep rolling as a locked in top 4 spot, and R16 CL team, is being incredibly optimistic.

Arsenal will be among the top English teams competing in the EPL because they have a solid structure in place. Of course they can go completely insane and hire someone like Roy Hodgson which will destroy my argument.

As mentioned the "solid structure" they have in place isn't anything unique to them. They don't have a remarkably young or talented core compared to other teams. Sure if by "among the top" you mean they'll stay as a member of the big 6 then I'd agree, but anything more is just drinking the cool aid.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Top 10 clubs from 14-15 to today in points:

Code:
Chelsea			212
Manchester City		206
Tottenham Hotspur	202
Arsenal			200
Manchester United	193
Liverpool			185
Southampton		163
Leicester City		158
Everton			148
West Ham United		145

It's most definitely the big 6 now, and that makes it pretty difficult to land a CL spot.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

But yet overrate Spurs for example when Arsenal did exactly the same thing they're doing for much longer.

I am not even comparing Arsenal to Spurs.
But you dumping on Spurs at this point, makes absolutely no sense.

All I'm saying is that the Spurs NOW:

- have (a lot) lower payroll than the rest of top-6
- are the most consistent side since the start of last season
- are (by far) the youngest side in the top-6, and THE youngest in the entire Premiership
- have a balanced, talented, YOUNG team that can get even better in a year and they are definitely a top contender for the EPL at this point
- are actually playing fantastic football under Poch, very pleasing to the eye, and one can argue that with a bit more experience for their key players, they'll gather the "easy" points more routinely, much like Chelsea do now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->