GWT: Premier League: 4/1 - 4/2/2017

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Sterling should play in the middle behind the striker as has been said before. He can never go offside from there and the position forces him to play through balls which is probably his best technical attribute.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I actually like Stones. People get on him for his big price tag but thats not his fault and it doesnt help when he has to play next to Otamendi (everything is a slide tackle) or Kolarov.

Stones could play for a mid table defensive side and win plaudits every week. Not easy to play for city when you are up the pitch with acres of space behind you and a midfield that doesnt like to close the opponent down.

I don't think Stones is good enough to be a starter for a club that wants to win titles at this point in his career, but he might get there eventually.

Otamendi is terrible and would likely be exposed even more playing for a club that doesn't control possession.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Sterling should play in the middle behind the striker as has been said before. He can never go offside from there and the position forces him to play through balls which is probably his best technical attribute.

Only for a counter attacking team. A team like city that is in possession of the ball most of the game cannot afford to have Sterling in such a central position as I think he would br unable to cleverly manipulate the game. De Bruyne and Silva are much better at that and shouldnt be pushed out wide for Sterling.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
No and no

Not saying that either would work, but they would potentially fix problems in the city side. Stones is a pretty natural fit at the 6 with his technique, and Sterling could present a fix at lb. I would have concerns about his strength and positioning, but he has all the pace to burn and quick feet..

If Sterling wants to stay at a big club he needs to really consider moving to LB, he is not the quality to be in a CL side at wing.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
I don't think Stones is good enough to be a starter for a club that wants to win titles at this point in his career, but he might get there eventually.

Otamendi is terrible and would likely be exposed even more playing for a club that doesn't control possession.

Stones is still very young, playing for a club with sky high expectations and a workload to match it. If he plays consistently next to someone like Kompany as well as stable fullbacks on either side then I think he can truly realize his potential because the talent is so obvious.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

Yea but not for a big side. For a mid table team that wants to sit back more he could be incredible, but Sterling has been pretty clear that he wants to play for a top side, and to me his only position there is at fullback

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I actually like Stones. People get on him for his big price tag but thats not his fault and it doesnt help when he has to play next to Otamendi (everything is a slide tackle) or Kolarov.

Stones could play for a mid table defensive side and win plaudits every week. Not easy to play for city when you are up the pitch with acres of space behind you and a midfield that doesnt like to close the opponent down.

I don´t mind Stones. He clearly has a fairly unique skill set for a CD, but he as clearly isn´t really "there" yet.

Unless you play for AM you got to be able to handle those situations you describe if you are a CD for a top team.

As of right now no-one among the "back 5" for City is anything special and they are certainly not "stacked" in defence.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Majority of the game, Arsenal didn't deserve a point. We played horribly including such a passive defensive line. However, they looked like the dominant team the last twenty to fifteen minutes or so.

I'm not ready to give up on Xhaka, this could that transition period (which we've see a huge amount of players go through including KdB) going from an inferior league to getting to play against teams like Southampton on a weekly basis. I love Mustafi though, has been an awesome player even though he decided to join at the worst of times.

I still don't get the Fernadinho hate here, he has absolutely no offensive IQ, but man he shelters the back four so well.

Last edited:

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Majority of the game, Arsenal didn't deserve a point. We played horribly including such a passive defensive line. However, they looked like the dominant team the last twenty to fifteen minutes or so.

I'm not ready to give up on Xhaka, this could that transition period (which we've see a huge amount of players go through including KdB) going from an inferior league to getting to play against teams like Southampton on a weekly basis. I love Mustafi though, has been an awesome player even though he decided to join at the worst of times.

I still don't get the Fernadinho hate here, he has absolutely no offensive IQ, but man he shelters the back four so well.

Fernandinho is okay defensively, but his constant turnovers and inability to move the ball are infuriating.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Can't really ask for much more than what happened today. Really happy with the results; need to keep building on it now.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Also yesterday might have been Coutinho's best game post injury

Just hope Mane isn't joining Henderson and Lallana in Miami

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Not saying that either would work, but they would potentially fix problems in the city side. Stones is a pretty natural fit at the 6 with his technique, and Sterling could present a fix at lb. I would have concerns about his strength and positioning, but he has all the pace to burn and quick feet..

If Sterling wants to stay at a big club he needs to really consider moving to LB, he is not the quality to be in a CL side at wing.

There are 9 matches left in the season. Neither has to be a long term fit at either position when they can buy a better fit in a couple months. Stones is also a natural fit at CB, and should be allowed to develop there even if he makes occasional mistakes. Sterling has been up-and-down this year and has some obvious shortcomings in his game. I don't think he'll be as good as City's other attackers, but they could also keep him around to meet their homegrown quota.

Yaya was a waste this game. That midfield needs to be revamped.

He did some nice very things today, but yeah, he seems just a bit technically slow, turning his body and moving the ball where it needs to go. With his strength he's often ok and players don't hassle him, but I think he needs to move on as well. He could still be good with the right club.

I hope he doesn't downgrade :D

Mkhi, Pogba, and Zlatan did for the other Manchester club

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If he played in England, Brazil would call him up. So there's also that. But I'd rather not see competition get great players.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Wage numbers aren't official but I highly doubt City couldn't offer him a lot more than Monaco.

Monaco has limitless money and zero tax.
Add the city appeal, I doubt money would be a factor.

LITN's argument holds more substance, but Ligue 1 is well known in Brazil.

No idea why he isn't starting for Brazil, but then again, they spent a bunch of months not selecting Thiago Silva, which is ... puzzling to stay polite.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yea but not for a big side. For a mid table team that wants to sit back more he could be incredible, but Sterling has been pretty clear that he wants to play for a top side, and to me his only position there is at fullback

Uh, he had no problem doing so when Liverpool were second.

It's more about how he is used.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Shhhh :sarcasm:;)
Palace with yet another win. huge turnaround for them thanks to Liverpool.

Good. Then he can come back and play for Klopp or increase his value and turn a profit.

I like the player. I think he's a pretty good player. I do think he's traded on potential more than performance for a while, but he's good enough to play and compete for some big clubs.

It only helps Liverpool in the long run if he continues to demonstrate that ability. If anything maybe a bit of a change of scenery for a bit works to his own future better.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also yesterday might have been Coutinho's best game post injury

Just hope Mane isn't joining Henderson and Lallana in Miami

No might about it. Coutinho has been in poor form since returning from injury -- I don't think he had a single great or even good game. I think the international break was good for him, he got some confidence back and this game he looked like he can be when he's at the top of his game. He was dribbling with more confidence, making better passes and was less hesitant in his shooting which allowed him to get off quicker and be more dangerous. Too much since he returned he would take an extra touch and hesitate on his shot allowing the defence to organize in front of him. Look at his goal and how quick he got that shot off after one touch; that's how he should be doing it most of the time.

Also Can has started to play a lot better as well, and I've never been a huge fan. If he can keep up this kind of form he might still have a place at Liverpool past the summer.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think either side is that great if you're comparing City and Arsenal.

City have a lot going forward, but how does it fit? You have have a lot of players to shoe horn in, and no real design. But their back line is atrocious. Their keeper is mediocre.

As for Arsenal, there's 4 or 5 players who are decent carrying a load of rubbish. Sanchez, Ozil (when he wants to) and Bellerin. That's pretty much it. Most of the rest have maxed out. That's the biggest club they're playing for.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
No might about it. Coutinho has been in poor form since returning from injury -- I don't think he had a single great or even good game. I think the international break was good for him, he got some confidence back and this game he looked like he can be when he's at the top of his game. He was dribbling with more confidence, making better passes and was less hesitant in his shooting which allowed him to get off quicker and be more dangerous. Too much since he returned he would take an extra touch and hesitate on his shot allowing the defence to organize in front of him. Look at his goal and how quick he got that shot off after one touch; that's how he should be doing it most of the time.

Also Can has started to play a lot better as well, and I've never been a huge fan. If he can keep up this kind of form he might still have a place at Liverpool past the summer.

Coutinho's goal was definitely much more of a snap shot than the usual cut in, take a touch and curl goals.

Regardless of whether or not Can unseats one of the midfield three, I think they need him next year for depth. But he certainly has made a case for himself as a starter lately. His good form and Lallana's abysmal form (pre-inury) create an interesting situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad