Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Thoughts ?

KDB
Alexander-Arnold
Klopp
Bruno Fernandes
Jordan Henderson. Easy one there. Even this season compared to last there's a massive improvement and he should be in team of the season.
Vardy. Still a lot of people out there who don't really rate him.
Everton paid 30 million for Iwobi, who scored one goal. No assists.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Thoughts ?

Player of the season — KdB
U23 Player of the season — TAA
Manager of the season — Nuno Espirito Santo
Best new signing — Bruno Fernandes (kinda has to be him)
Most improved player — Christian Pulisic
Most underrated player — Declan Rice
Biggest flop — Roberto (you have to be especially bad to qualify as the worst flop on a free transfer, but god damn I think the mad man may have just gone and pulled it off)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Best player-KDB
Best U23- was gonna say Rashford but forgot TAA is also under 23
Best Transfer: Well Bruno duh
Most Improved- Dean Henderson or Kovacic
Best Manager- Wilder or Nuno
Most Underrated- Ndidi or maybe Kovacic(he was incredible this year)
Biggest Flop: Iwobi

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
KdB
Either Rashford or Trent
Chris Wilder
Bruno Fernandes is the obvious, so gonna go off the wall and say Gary Cahill, who signed for free and had a stellar year.
Mateo Kovacic
Jack O'Connell
It's gotta be Joelinton, right?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
At least he scored unlike Iwobi. But both of them were just horrible buys.
Iwobi played a lot fewer games, and wasn't he used as a winger mostly? Whoscored lists him as starting as a striker once in 25 EPL appearances. Joelinton appeared in all 38 EPL games with 27 games starting as a striker and managed only 2 goals, with 2 more in the FA Cup.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Player - KDB
U23 - Trent
Manager - Klopp
Transfer - Bruno
Improved - Danny Ings
Underrated - J. Henderson
Flop - Tottenham; All of them.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Iwobi played a lot fewer games, and wasn't he used as a winger mostly? Whoscored lists him as starting as a striker once in 25 EPL appearances. Joelinton appeared in all 38 EPL games with 27 games starting as a striker and managed only 2 goals, with 2 more in the FA Cup.
I mean still he was brought in as a winger who was there to produce something. I mean you can’t choose wrong with either though really imo.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
On the other side for Newcastle, Saint-Maximin was a superb signing.

He's been Newcastle's most valuable midfielder or forward by a street and he's the sort of player a lot of Newcastle fans love.

A word of caution, though - he missed 10 games through injury and he scored a mere three goals. In terms of end product, that's nearer to peak Stephen Glass than peak Laurent Robert.

Saint-Maximin needs to be healthier and more prolific next season, given that Newcastle can rely neither on Shelvey scoring another half a dozen goals nor on their defenders scoring as often as they did in 2019/20.

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
I know people love writing off United, but OGS deserves some love for what he's done during the restart. Bruno helps but that was a solid run-in.

Tired of the VARchester United jokes. If it was your team that drew 14 pens, you'd be praising their wanting run at defenders. People are only mad because it's United.

United some quality squad depth because they'll run out of gas if they don't.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He's been Newcastle's most valuable midfielder or forward by a street and he's the sort of player a lot of Newcastle fans love.

A word of caution, though - he missed 10 games through injury and he scored a mere three goals. In terms of end product, that's nearer to peak Stephen Glass than peak Laurent Robert.

Saint-Maximin needs to be healthier and more prolific next season, given that Newcastle can rely neither on Shelvey scoring another half a dozen goals nor on their defenders scoring as often as they did in 2019/20.
I don't think they should be relying on Saint-Maximin to be a goal scorer, he's the kind of player that will generate a lot of chances for you but should not be the main scoring threat. They need a legitimate striker in there that can feed off Saint-Maximin and Almiron, rather than continuing to force square pegs into round holes.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Sorry to say, he won't be.
St Maximin can unbalance the best defenses, dribble through 3 guys and the goalie and still shoot wide or turn blind to the teammate alone in front of an empty net.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I'd be shocked if anything but another battle between City and Liverpool decide the title next year. They're head and shoulders above even Man U and Chelsea, imo. The gap is getting closer, but still. City lost to United twice this year and still finished 15 points ahead.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I know people love writing off United, but OGS deserves some love for what he's done during the restart. Bruno helps but that was a solid run-in.

Tired of the VARchester United jokes. If it was your team that drew 14 pens, you'd be praising their wanting run at defenders. People are only mad because it's United.

It’s an extreme outlier.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

This is lovely and all, but it wasn't just penalties. It was absolutely shameful that Maguire didn't see red in the game at the Bridge for his kick on Rudiger.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't understand the whole penalty thing.
It's like thos hockey fans that think penalties should be equaled every game.

In football, given the very few calls, you examine it play per play rather than make up a ridiculous theory.
How many United penalties were NOT warranted?
Two off the top of my head.
So even with the ref mistakes (and United aren't the only ones benefiting from ref mistakes), it goes down to 12 JUSTIFIED penalties (and as every team many NOT called).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That graph is pretty obscene.
It really is.

Not getting into the legitimacy of each PK but, I was honestly surprised they didn’t have more touches in the box. 5 teams, which is kind of a lot vs Man Utd, had more touches in the box than them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad