Premier League 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It´s not necessarily inflating - they are reporting tickets sold. So many don´t show up.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
It´s not necessarily inflating - they are reporting tickets sold. So many don´t show up.

Attendance should be the amount that show up to the game. Using tickets sold makes no sense. I consider that inflating.

Even with tickets sold I find it hard to believe that so many people that had tickets wouldn't show up.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
For me that is one of those "who cares". Unless you end up trying to have a conversation with someone that is clearly just trolling, for their own entertainment, it isn´t really that interesting in my opinion.

If there are no more tickets to be sold I can see why you report sold instead of actual attendance - as actual attendance would imply more people could have been at the stadium watching the game - which wouldn´t be possible.

Of course clubs could report both. Would have been the best I guess.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Attendance should be the amount that show up to the game. Using tickets sold makes no sense. I consider that inflating.

Even with tickets sold I find it hard to believe that so many people that had tickets wouldn't show up.

Unless they're scalpers. I just find it hard to believe that they would try to profit so hard on Arsenal tickets when it clearly doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So the huge amount of loyal Arsenal fans compared to Spurs basically not having any, Arsenal having much more sucess at youth level with tons of promising youngsters, having a manager with a record of tons of titles compared to Pocchetino who has not won anything, and Arsenal being able to pay larger wages are not advantages?

The only advantage I can think of going for Spurs is Champions League football for one year.

Look, you're really not convincing anybody with your constant ridiculous Arsenal posts. We have a majority of reasonnable Arsenal fans here.
To imagine one second a player rates Emery over Poch is an insult to the intelligence of football players.
Spurs have a better team, a better youth academy, a better coach, a better recent record in the EPL, a better recent record in Europe, etc...
Again, there's absolutely ZERO argument for a player to choose Arsenal over Spurs (with similar salary/role obviously), except club stature, but as I said, that is fading fast since Arsenal hasn't been competitive for anything in a whole lot of years.

Now, would Saliba choose Arsenal over Spurs? Yes, there's a very good chance. Why? Because he'd be the best CB in Arsenal very quickly, possibly already starting, while Spurs actually have depth.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Bellerin would probably make it.

Lacazette depending on formation.

I prefer Winks over Torreira but I can understand others saying otherwise.

The combined 11 would be

Leno

Bellerin Alderwiereld Verthongen Monreal

Torriera Xhaka

Son Eriksen

Aubameyang Lacazette

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Look, you're really not convincing anybody with your constant ridiculous Arsenal posts. We have a majority of reasonnable Arsenal fans here.
To imagine one second a player rates Emery over Poch is an insult to the intelligence of football players.
Spurs have a better team, a better youth academy, a better coach, a better recent record in the EPL, a better recent record in Europe, etc...
Again, there's absolutely ZERO argument for a player to choose Arsenal over Spurs (with similar salary/role obviously), except club stature, but as I said, that is fading fast since Arsenal hasn't been competitive for anything in a whole lot of years.

Now, would Saliba choose Arsenal over Spurs? Yes, there's a very good chance. Why? Because he'd be the best CB in Arsenal very quickly, possibly already starting, while Spurs actually have depth.

I think almost everyone rates Emery over Poch, Emery has a record of winning trophies when all Poch has is a constant legacy of failure to win.

Spurs do not have a stronger team on paper. Arsenals academy litteraly won the U18 and came second in the U23, extremely far ahead of Spurs.

You are Speaking like Tottenham actually have been competitive and won things, which they have never ever done. If you want to win things, you pick Arsenal who have a coach who actually knows how to win

Arsenal have not been competitive over many years? Well if we have not, neither have Spurs. Arsenal finished above Spurs for 30 years in a row before 2017 which was very recently. Arsenal have won the FA Cup 3 times since 2014, what have Spurs won. Arsenal have not been close to a League title since 2016, but Spurs have not either.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Who from Arsenal would even get in the Spurs 11? Lacazette?

Who from Spurs would make it into Arsenal?

Leno

Bellerin Alderwiereld Verthongen Monreal

Torriera Xhaka

Son Eriksen

Aubameyang / Kane, Lacazette

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think I’ll let the neutrals take care of AB13.

Happy to see Kane won’t be traded to Arsenal anytime soon though.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

I would really want to read your explanation on this.

Reactions: AB13

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Yeah I'll concede almost everything else as a far as on the pitch/coaching metrics, but Arsenal's youth academy is certainly producing more talent at the moment. Whether we actually get to see them develop into great players at Arsenal may be a different story unfortunately.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The youth academy is something weird. People look at youth results, but what matters is the players you produce. Arsenal has how many home grown quality starters right now? How many for Spurs?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The youth academy is something weird. People look at youth results, but what matters is the players you produce. Arsenal has how many home grown quality starters right now? How many for Spurs?

Maitland Niles, Bellerin, Iwobi.

Not counting the next wave that appears on every single prospect list, which usually includes more Arsenal players than Tottenham players.

Compared to Kane and maybe Winks.

Obviously Kane is the highest quality compared to the rest but just having one elite player come out of the academy doesn't make it a great academy.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No, but it helps the first team much more.
We'll be serious and not imagine Maitland Niles and Iwobi are better quality than Kyle Walker Peters, and especially Danny Rose.

So we're left with Maitland Niles, Bellerin (at 16 IIRC) and Iwobi vs Kane, Winks, Walker-Peters and Rose.
I don't think there's a contest here TBH.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Maitland Niles, Bellerin, Iwobi.

Not counting the next wave that appears on every single prospect list, which usually includes more Arsenal players than Tottenham players.

Compared to Kane and maybe Winks.

Obviously Kane is the highest quality compared to the rest but just having one elite player come out of the academy doesn't make it a great academy.

Maybe Winks? It Maitland Niles is included so should Winks obviously.

I’ll take Winks and Kane over the three Arsenal players every day.

Spurs haven’t had many “pure” academy players coming through, but they have had some sensationally good ones. King, Campbell, Hoddle and Kane will equal most other top academies around in terms of high end quality.

That said. I have no idea how to evaluate youth academies. Utd had that one crazy class, but nothing that suggest they had an academy that in general was just that much better than the rest. A lot of randomness comes in when you look at academy output. And in many cases youth scouting seems to be more important than the quality of the academy. Rose came to Spurs at a young age. Academy product? Where do you draw the line as to what is an academy product?

As for Arsenal there was always a lot of hype around the young players under Wenger, but I’m not sure if the end results ever matched the hype. Not saying Arsenal haven’t had good players coming through, but this endless assembly line with top end talent coming through I never think actually materialized. And I haven’t seen any evidence that the Arsenal youth academy is anything special these days.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
No, but it helps the first team much more.
We'll be serious and not imagine Maitland Niles and Iwobi are better quality than Kyle Walker Peters, and especially Danny Rose.

So we're left with Maitland Niles, Bellerin (at 16 IIRC) and Iwobi vs Kane, Winks, Walker-Peters and Rose.
I don't think there's a contest here TBH.

Rose was bought from Leeds and you're going to count Kyle Walker Peters?

You realize Maitland Niles isn't a fullback right? And if you've seen the match where he won MOM against Pogba two seasons ago you would know he's talented.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Maybe Winks? It Maitland Niles is included so should Winks obviously.

I’ll take Winks and Kane over the three Arsenal players every day.

Spurs haven’t had many “pure” academy players coming through, but they have had some sensationally good ones. King, Campbell, Hoddle and Kane will equal most other top academies around in terms of high end quality.

That said. I have no idea how to evaluate youth academies. Utd had that one crazy class, but nothing that suggest they had an academy that in general was just that much better than the rest. A lot of randomness comes in when you look at academy output. And in many cases youth scouting seems to be more important than the quality of the academy. Rose came to Spurs at a young age. Academy product? Where do you draw the line as to what is an academy product?

As for Arsenal there was always a lot of hype around the young players under Wenger, but I’m not sure if the end results ever matched the hype. Not saying Arsenal haven’t had good players coming through, but this endless assembly line with top end talent coming through I never think actually materialized. And I haven’t seen any evidence that the Arsenal youth academy is anything special these days.

Winks is heading towards the path of Wilshere.

And every single prospect list so far has multiple Arsenal youth players. Only Troy Parrott and Onomah are mentioned on any prospect lists.

We'll see how many will make the first team and the impact they have but I would take Arsenal's prospects right now over Tottenham's.

I think youth academies should be ranked by how many players they produce at a pro level regardless if it's for their first team or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad